• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Help Needed- History of Brownies in St Helens

Hi.

I'm working towards my Queens Guide Award and for the Community Action section I'm looking at the history of guiding (specifically Brownies) in St Helens, Merseyside.

Anyone with any help would be great.

Cazbly

Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)
Contact Region HQ and ask who your local archivist is (I should know but cannot think).

They should be able to help you out.

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
The first Guide unit was at Peter Street. I think it opened about 1914. The Pilkington family were very involved, and I think it was Margaret Pilkington specifically who did a lot for Guiding in St. Helens. The Standard dates from around the 1920s.

Our badge depot lady knows an awful lot about our history, so it might be worth contacting her. Also, individual guiders may be able to give information about specific units.

If you want to pm me about my units, I can give you some more details.

The first Guide unit was at Peter Street. I think it opened about 1914. The Pilkington family were very involved, and I think it was Margaret Pilkington specifically who did a lot for Guiding in St. Helens. The Standard dates from around the 1920s.

Our badge depot lady knows an awful lot about our history, so it might be worth contacting her. Also, individual guiders may be able to give information about specific units.

If you want to pm me about my units, I can give you some more details.

I was sent a log book a few years ago and it covered parts of St Helens I think and Lancashire South ... I think I sent it to someone called Robina in St Helens. Does that ring a bell with you? Or I might have sent it to my archivist in Lancs South and she may have passed it on!

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
Robina is part of the county team. If you email the commissioner, she may be able to forward it to Robina. I don't have any direct contact details, so I've copied and pasted this link from the Merseyside website

http://www.girlguidingmerseyside.com/

Alternatively, you could ask your commissioner if she has contact details.

ETA: I would be interested in reading your work when you finish it, if that's ok with you.

ETA: I have removed Robina's surname as I don't have her permission to post it, but she is quite well known at county level.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Many thanks for your help.
My apologies for not getting back to you all sooner, I lost my log in details and it has been a nightmare trying to reset them.

I will act on your advise and of course will allow you to see the finished work... though that may be a long time off yet!!

Regards.