• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

hol

Jennifer

Veteran (100+ posts)
You may remember that i said a while ago i wa sdoing my licence in Oct for Guide hol.

Well i didn't get it!!!! the funny guider who i don't get on with pulled out and the county holiday adviser came in her place......and she didn't like the way i did things. When the mentors came they said i could get everything signed off but wouldn't get the licence as my blue book was in too much detail and i had three patrols instead of two....but the ch wanted this!!!! oh and we when to waddow coz of teh activities and i was told i used to many of them...only used 3!!!!

anyway not happy about that

X

Vicki Owl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Sometimes I think there are too many rules! and most of the time when you follow them all your not right either. I'm sorry to here you didn't get your license.

You may remember that i said a while ago i wa sdoing my licence in Oct for Guide hol.

Well i didn't get it!!!! the funny guider who i don't get on with pulled out and the county holiday adviser came in her place......and she didn't like the way i did things. When the mentors came they said i could get everything signed off but wouldn't get the licence as my blue book was in too much detail and i had three patrols instead of two....but the ch wanted this!!!! oh and we when to waddow coz of teh activities and i was told i used to many of them...only used 3!!!!

anyway not happy about that

X
hey hang on a min. I think you may complain on these following grounds:

GGUK have a recognised camp & holiday training scheme - published for all to see so in other words this is the criteria they themselves have set out asd approtiate for everybody who wishes to gain a licence.

in my opinion if your book has been signed off - you have submitted your folder & been assessed durinbg the event & nothing major to implicate girls safety & well being has been found then actually what have you done to fail your licence???

failing candidates on things that are not required of them in the book is a ) unfair on the individual ("you thought this was the criteria but actually no it isnt approach") how on earth are you supposed to know where you stand or for that matter - anyone else who does it after you.
b) undermines the validity of having a national across the board scheme for every body to deliver the same standards - absolutely pointless - we might as well go back to the old days - where someone makes their own judgment based on personal dos & donts - which is one of the reasons I guess the scheme was introduced in the first place.

been through this & failed my 1st licence camp too so I feel for you

PM if you like & we can talk about it because this is soooooo rubbish its unbelievable

were the girls happy & safe - did you do everything you weere supposed to, been on a training & filled in the book you should get your licence - no question.

think you need to complain & probably to region - dont let them get away with it

Dietcoke

Brownie Guider and Forum Moderater
Aw Jeniffer, you poor thing, how stupid is that!! Agree with Mad jag the whole point of liscience is to offer minium guidlines in planning and running an event so you and the girls are safe.
So what does it matter if you had more details (flipping heck)
And you did too many activites!!!! If you had resources why not?
If you decided to change to the number of patrols to fit in with girls or planning than it makes no difference does it??
I agree kick up a fuss and get this done, so HATE hearing so many examples of this lately, its really awful

woodyowl

Forum Mod, Guide GIC, Rainbow GIC,
Staff member
GuiderPlus
looks like shes picking holes that arent there

you did too much - well lucky girls looks like you gave them all you could

you had too much detail -this is just picky whats too much

you had 1 more patrol - so what

people like this make me so cross

your girls and leaders had fun and were safe thats all that matters

meant to say but forgot - you should have got are are getting a camp/holiday report - which should pick up on the major points of what they said when they came to assess you

also, I think the guiding manual says that you should have a minimum of 8 girls at a residential

a minimum of 2 patrols

also, if girls pull out at the last minute & you have to rejig your organisation plans - thats part of prooving how good you can be at adapting the circumstances to fit whats planned & in the pipeline

those of us who have been to camps will know that you have to constantly weigh up the balance of whats planned with how the girls are feeling - tired,hyperactive or cold or in a silly mood etc etc /weather factors/ change to the programmed activities because they are instructor short etc etc sounds to me like you did OK

when you get your camp/holiday report read it carefully to see what has been said officially if you disagree with it you have the right of appeal

I know its the very last thing you will want to do right now but get your accounts done quick because the licence isnt officially completed without it.
have you got a county indoor/outdoor advisor other than this woman you took away that you could talk to as well

Hilzo42

Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Sorry, I don't see how having 3 patrols instead of 2 would make a difference! What is that about?!

And 3 onsite provided activities do not seem like doing only a few to me (though I don't know how long you were there for). Our unit has camped at Blacklands Farm the past 2 years running; 2006 we did 6 onsite activities (plus a daytrip to Brighton), this year we did 4 plus the daytrip and it worked out far better for everyone.

Even if they refuse to accredit you the whole license, surely you must have passed some of the modules (so wouldn't have to repeat them)?

catdrew

Brownie Guider
GuiderPlus
Thats terrible personal views shouldnt come into it. As far as i see you followed the guide lines set out in the book and it is up to you what you want to do and what size groups menu etc.
unless you have made some really terrible mistakes like first aid facilities or kitchen standards you should get it.

guiding_bug

Guiding makes the world go round
oh my gosh.

I don't believe there is a 'specific way' to run a camp. That's rubbish, as long as its safe and the girls have fun, then what's the problem?

Our May camp - we're going Pioneering, Raft Building, Rifle Shooting and Archery! (too many activities obviously). She was probably getting at 'offering a varied programme'.

Good luck with it - don't let it put you off, there are some stuffy Guiders out there - and every County has them.

Bug x

jayjay

Guide and Ranger Guider
Having been in this situation and failed my first camp for equally petty reasons, I know exactly how you feel! How can you possibly have put in too much detail? That's stupid! I think some people just like the power trip! One of the reasons they gave for failing me was that my welly sticks were too short!!
I agree with Mad Jag; get complaining - I can't understand how you can have everything signed off and not get your licence. If they sign something off it means they're happy with it, and if everything is signed it follows that they were happy with everything. So you should get your licence!!

Sarah

Brown Owl, Guide Guider and Mentor
when I was a YL I went on a Brownie hol when the Guider was doing licence
she failed because she had on the programme a SURPRISE activity
everything else was stated on the programme and the leaders all knew about the surprise.
any guesses what the Brownies favourite part of the weekend was?
yes you probably guessed right, the build up to
oohh I wonder what the surprise is going to be, the excitment building over the weekend and then the games etc planned outside for them.

do the kids really need to know every single 5 minutes of the weekends plan!

sammie

Veteran (100+ posts)
do the kids really need to know every single 5 minutes of the weekends plan!
No they dont!!! we dont tell ours very much at all - they have a very brief outline of the camp and dont really have a clue but they think they do! - its then better for them where if an activity or something has to be cancelled like for really bad weather or not enough time etc then they dont get too disapointed.

when i did my license i gave them a very brief outline and no-one complained about it as i had the detailed plan in my file.

some people really do like the power trip and obviously have their priorities in the wrong order!

jayjay

Guide and Ranger Guider
We don't tell them everything either! We have a holiday weekend planned for 1st week in Feb, and the girls know we are having an international theme, they don't know what the activities are going to be. The programme will just tell them what country the activities for that session are from. And on the saturday night, the country is north america - and they are having a line dance party disco with a lady coming to teach them to line dance and american diner food!