• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Mentor

lucy_jb

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hiya,

I'm a mentor and wanted to offer my help to anyone that might be struggliing with their leadership qualification whether that be ideas, or issues with their own mentor.

If you want to talk in depth, etc, send me a PM and i'll give you my email address.

Sarah

Brown Owl, Guide Guider and Mentor
Hi Lucy
are mentors allowed to have issues with their mentees?
and with those allocating mentees, a district comm tried to allocate a 15 year old to me last week, explained that she couldn't start the ALQ until she was 16. this week I had a phone call from my dis comm and div comm (same person) trying to get me to mentor this same girl.
don't you love communication, I think that other dis comm thought she could go over my head to div as I had refused to mentor her YL but had informed div that she was only 15.

Ideally I would now like to mentor myself for a change of section as at least I know I'll turn up if I arrange a meeting, visited rainbows last week to meet the 15 year old YL but none of the 3 on the ALQ had turned up!

enjoy the mentoring

Sarah

JackieP

Brownie & Guide Leader & County GO! User
The question is do -14-15-y-o YL's have mentors now under the new YLQ scheme. Not a YL Guider so I don't know - but if you've been asked recently - then is this maybe what your Commissioners mean...?

JackieP

lucy_jb

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hi Lucy
are mentors allowed to have issues with their mentees?
and with those allocating mentees, a district comm tried to allocate a 15 year old to me last week, explained that she couldn't start the ALQ until she was 16. this week I had a phone call from my dis comm and div comm (same person) trying to get me to mentor this same girl.
don't you love communication, I think that other dis comm thought she could go over my head to div as I had refused to mentor her YL but had informed div that she was only 15.

Ideally I would now like to mentor myself for a change of section as at least I know I'll turn up if I arrange a meeting, visited rainbows last week to meet the 15 year old YL but none of the 3 on the ALQ had turned up!

enjoy the mentoring

Sarah

What do you mean by, have issues?

Sarah

The question is do -14-15-y-o YL's have mentors now under the new YLQ scheme. Not a YL Guider so I don't know - but if you've been asked recently - then is this maybe what your Commissioners mean...?

JackieP
we have a YL advisor in our area who covers that, and I the div comm wasn't aware that she was only 15, she popped into my unit tonight and mentioned it again, the 15 year old has been sorted and is intouch with the YL advisor now!

Sarah

What do you mean by, have issues?

Mostly that around me the generally view of the mentors is that mentees rarely seem to reply to messages (phone or e-mail), there are 3 at one unit (only 1 that I am mentoring) and all the mentors involved with the unit are having trouble getting them to bring along their book, or to let us know how they are doing.
ALQ in my unit (not mentored by me) didin't come tonight, it clashed with something else, you'd think she might realise that Brownies is a regular weekly event that usually happens every Wednesday.
Normally I have 6 adults tonight I must have frightened them off as I was reduced to 3, one of my unit helpers even left the country to get out of it, he tells me it is work, but tonight he is in Paris and I am sleeping with the cat!:sleeping:

lucy_jb

Veteran (100+ posts)
That must be just a certain people thing. The last leader I was mentoring was always a star with her book. I wouldn't know how to recify that without either going to their unit and them bringing it there, or for you to keep it, which is not a good option at all!

woodyowl

Forum Mod, Guide GIC, Rainbow GIC,
Staff member
GuiderPlus
my metor was the one that was rubbish, sorry but she didnt reply to any calls emails etc

HanSeeingRed

Bananaface :oD
Staff member
GuiderPlus
My mentor was great, we got on really well. I turned up to all our meetings (she came to our unit so it was very convienient) :) The only thing I didn't turn up for was them presenting my warrent at the division annual parade. whoops! :blush: They didn't tell me they were planning on doing that, and I'd stepped in to help on a Brownie Pack Hol!

Oh you lucky mentors/mentees...
wouldn't you like to move to Hampshire?
I've been waiting for a mentor since May and have been told it will be at least a year...:(

woodyowl

Forum Mod, Guide GIC, Rainbow GIC,
Staff member
GuiderPlus
great new golden syrup, I dont understand why some areas have such a shortage of mentors.

Ive now been on the mentor list for aboutt a year and only had 1 person to metor.
Ive asked DC if theres any more and she said there no one needed at the moment.

Tina Tulip

Rainbow Guider, Division Commisioner
I found out tody I'm getting 2 new Brownie Guiders to mentor. They're in the same unit as each other and both live in my street so it makes sense for me to do it! Just finished a few too, but there's one at uni out of county that may not finish :-(