• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Need to find work experience for Y10 daughter- where to find a placement?

scoobyking

Veteran (100+ posts)
My daughter should have had this in place by the end of January but having had my head bitten off back in October, when I tried to help, I left her to it, at her request. Now she still hasnt got anything in place.
Where can I try? She's interested in human rights and is studying for GCSE's where her best subjects are geography, RE and history. Nothing maths or science related.
I've tried the local CAB and waiting for a reply. I thought when the time came I would come up with lots of suggestions but she doesn't seem to like anything I suggest - grrr teenager.

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
No suggestions for you, but just to warn you that many places won't take year 10 kids anymore because of the cost required in getting DBS checks done for the staff. My dad owns a mechanic business and often gets requests from youngsters, but he can't afford the DBS checks required for the staff that would come into contact with the kids. The situation is similar in the university lab where I work - we only take kids aged 16+.

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
If it's school run work experience, they should be able to provide her with a list of places that would take them for this period. I do think though, that she should be the one calling/emailing then it seems as though she is interested and willing to put the effort in to contact them- by all means help her research them and writing emails etc, but I think they should be sent from her/she should speak to the people directly.

chopperchick

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Any charities in your area which would link to "human rights"? It's a big subject in general, but many charities would focus on specific areas or aspects of those rights, which may focus her into something specific?

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
are there any charities in your area on Human Rights type activities? perhaps they have projects she could be invoved in organising.

1 question that comes to mind is does she really know what she wants to do?

I say this because at that age i didnt have a clue and felt forced into contacting people in businesses i knew nothing about and had no interest in.

Do the staff really need DBS checks? i didnt at my last job and we always had students every year.

culcheth1

Veteran (100+ posts)
If she asked you not to help her then I'd leave her to it.
If she doesn't get anywhere then school will have to sort her out. Time to learn that actions, and lack of them, have consequences

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
If she asked you not to help her then I'd leave her to it.
If she doesn't get anywhere then school will have to sort her out. Time to learn that actions, and lack of them, have consequences
Especially if she's vetoing all of your suggestions.

I don't think year 10 work experience is really about finding a placement in your future dream career, so much as it is about gaining an awareness of what the working world generally is like and to get a bit of a reality check. As a 15 year old on a 10 day placement, even if your placement happens to be in a related field, the types of tasks you'll be given to do are not going to be a great deal like what you would be doing once you land that dream job as an adult and are in it for a longer period.

Without wishing to be harsh, it sounds like she has unrealistic expectations ....

shackademus

Veteran (100+ posts)
although i sort of agree with that sentiment, as a teacher in a primary school we often had students coming to us who didnt even like children and definitely did not want to engage with them because it was the high schools last resort to ask the feeder school to take them.
it often meant they got up later than they usually would as the primary was nearer, they finished at 3.30 because there are only so many tasks a teacher can give to a reluctant teenage helper.

i would also suggest asking at charity shops to see if they can give her retail experience

do you have any local libraries or museums which could give a variety of experiences

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
Do the staff really need DBS checks? i didnt at my last job and we always had students every year.
I think it is only the people who are likely to come in to contact with them a lot. Not sure. But my dad's business only has a few staff members so they would potentially be on a 1:1 with them. I am not 100% sure of the rules, or whether it was a school requirement or something. Just know that he has stopped taking them because of it.

growlywench

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'd be tempted to show her this thread. And then leave her to it. If she hasn't sorted, she either won't get to do it, or will end up with wherever the school stick her - so good luck sweeping up hair and making tea for 2 weeks (if she's lucky!). The life lesson won't kill her.

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
I think it is only the people who are likely to come in to contact with them a lot. Not sure. But my dad's business only has a few staff members so they would potentially be on a 1:1 with them. I am not 100% sure of the rules, or whether it was a school requirement or something. Just know that he has stopped taking them because of it.
think it may be a local rule as I was 1:1 some days with the students if my colleague was off we worked in our own room.
I know they would need Employers Liability insurance but not had anyone mention DBS

mogs79

Veteran (100+ posts)
I am a big fan of the tough love approach, especially in this instance. Your daughter chose not to apply for places before Christmas, she has chosen to be negative to your suggestions when her back is to the wall. Leave her to it, she is certainly old enough to understand the consequences. If she has two weeks mopping, sweeping, stuffing letters into envelopes, if may be a better motivator than a placement in her ideal job.

I am afraid that work experience requests that are made to me by parents are automatically vetoed as their kids aren't bothered enough to make the approach themselves. Part of the experience of work is applying for the position. We ask that all applications are made with a CV and a covering letter, to give them practice and on occasion have been known to interview if we are over subscribed. The boss had a large family and based on their experiences decided that work experience placement should practice as many employment related skills as possible.

snowy91

Fully warranted Brownie Guider
When I was in year 10, either you found your own placement or school did it for you, but then we had to fill in a form asking for sectors. I'd sorted my own out (in the nursery at my mums school though, but for practicality it was the easiest thing).
Anyone who had not filled in the forms got whatever was left or had to help the site team at school for a week, sweeping and picking up leaves

My daughter's school insisted on doing it for them. The kids got a choice of what sort of thing they were interested in, my daughter put several things down but was told she'd get what she was given. They sent her to a racing yard because they said as horses was all she seemed bothered so with she could work there. She wasn't too happy about it as had other plans but had the last laugh as she was offered a job immediately she was sixteen and a place at the British Racing School, she went on to spend over ten years in racing travelling all round the world and earning very well.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
Perhaps local school to help out with reading/in classes? or library? or charity shop? receptionist type work such as in opticians?

my own daughter is doing hers in local estate agent for the week.

My daughter wanted a bank, but all the banks we approached said no as she wouldn't be able to "do" anything, as couldn't touch real money and couldn't see any confidential data. We also asked at opticians and they said "yes" to work experience of manning reception/booking appointments/phone etc. Being under 18 limits what they can do, plus not being on full staff properly limits them again

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I'd echo what's already been said. Yes, it's great if it leads to a dream career, but often the Year 10 placement is more about learning general skills for work- e.g. that it matters if you're repeatedly late, use inappropriate language, dress inappropriately, or just lack motivation to do your best, or even "don't apply, don't get"...things that you can't be expelled from school for, but are important in the working world, the importance of making a good impression.
I have done a lot of placements on my road to qualifying my my chosen field, and not all of them have been thrilling, but you have to make a good impression from the start and maintain it, even if you're bored rigid.

My year 10 placement was in a Year 2 class. A week in there was long enough to open my eyes!