• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

New Programme - Discuss!

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I understood and was told on a training that skills builders done in one section will not count towards a theme badge in the next. But really how often will this actually happen ? What are the chances of Brownie moving into Guides and doing the self same SB within say 6 to 12 months? Any longer and the chances are she would move up a level but even if not is it such an issue as with a different group in a different dynamic she may get different things out of it.

Ok, Rainbows coin chain challenge went down partially well. It did drag on (45min UMA). Probably needs split over two meetings next time as it was too long sitting in their (unco-operative) groups.
Squeals of delight when they achieved the skill of spinning a coin!

Willow

Veteran (100+ posts)
What are the chances of Brownie moving into Guides and doing the self same SB within say 6 to 12 months? Any longer and the chances are she would move up a level but even if not is it such an issue as with a different group in a different dynamic she may get different things out of it.
My understanding from the leaders' notes is that the programme is designed to avoid repetition, so if we had a Brownie move up to Guides with S3 Camp, we'd offer her either S4 camp (to build on her previous experience) or S3 Explore (to broaden it).

Willow

Veteran (100+ posts)
Checking the leaders' notes:

"Note: a completed skills builder stage can only count towards a theme award in one section. Girls are expected to complete the skills builder stage during their time in the section where they are being awarded the theme award. For example, a Brownie may complete First Aid stage 2 and be awarded her Brownie Be Well theme award. She may go on to complete First Aid stage 3 as a Brownie but would be expected to complete First Aid stage 4 or 5, or a stage of the other Be Well skills builder, Feel Good, as a Guide to be awarded her Guide Be Well theme award."

Two key questions remaining:

1. If you start a stage of a SB in one section, and move up with some of the activities completed, can you complete that stage in the next section?

2. (Trinny's one) If you start a stage in one section, and don't finish it, can you restart that stage in the next section?

1. If you start a stage of a SB in one section, and move up with some of the activities completed, can you complete that stage in the next section?
I guess we'll be able to see what the system thinks once a few girls move from sections to section with various combinations of completion! I only know so far that I have Brownies with all the Rainbows Theme Awards listed as abandoned. And of course that makes perfect sense, since they couldn't earn a Rainbows Theme Award now they are in Brownies.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Checking the leaders' notes:

"Note: a completed skills builder stage can only count towards a theme award in one section. Girls are expected to complete the skills builder stage during their time in the section where they are being awarded the theme award. For example, a Brownie may complete First Aid stage 2 and be awarded her Brownie Be Well theme award. She may go on to complete First Aid stage 3 as a Brownie but would be expected to complete First Aid stage 4 or 5, or a stage of the other Be Well skills builder, Feel Good, as a Guide to be awarded her Guide Be Well theme award."

Two key questions remaining:

2. (Trinny's one) If you start a stage in one section, and don't finish it, can you restart that stage in the next section?
1. no. It will expire when you change section.

2. yes, you could. (Though a girl may prefer to do the higher level instead, or the other topic from that theme, rather than repeat activities - or if she had been in her new section for a while then the higher level may be more appropriate anyway).

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
This irritates me immensely. If a girl has done one activity from a Skills Builder, even incidentally, she is blocked from using that to gain a theme award in the next section. For example, if a 10 year old Brownie attended an end of term outdoor walk/penny hike, that would incidentally count for the Have Adventures Explore Stage 3. But when she attends guides, she then has to do stage 4 explore, or a camp skills builder (which need a lot more equipment etc) to get her theme award. Whereas, if she hadn't attended that one night at Brownies, she would have a lot more choice at guides, and could work on a skills builder appropriate to her level of ability. It is especially unfair when it is more than likely that clause would also be covered at guides, so she could have fully completed it at guides and counted it for a them either award (had it not been for that fateful penny hike a Brownie).

As a leader, this suggests to me that Skills Builder are for short, focused bursts rather than ongoing learning - as it is much better to have got the badge for 5 activities, but you are penalised in a later section for doing 4.
I will suggest to my Brownies that they tick off their skills builder clauses in pencil in their badge books, and any unfinished at the end of Brownies are not mentioned. I don't think I'll be in any hurry to put individual clauses into Go - only completed SBs.
No, we have some mis-interpretations here. When a girl moves section, any part-completed Skills Builders are marked as abandoned.
When she joins the new section, part-done Skills Builders are wiped out. So she could re-do the same Skills Builder if she wished to. Or do the other one from that topic. Or do the higher level of either theme.

Burghilly

Veteran (100+ posts)
Quick question- since the Guide Gold badge looks very challenging for a girl to achieve ( given that she will need to have pretty much 100% attendance ) does anyone know if there are any plans in the pipe line for something like a silver and bronze award, that still recognises achievment but also keeps the Gold Award special.

I understand that Gold needs to be a challenge and a very special achievement but what about those girls who are so 'nearly there' . Girls who through no fault of their own just miss out on Gold?Will there be anything they can aim for?

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
I don’t think there is anything. I think the plan is for it to be like the Look Wider Octants have been. Individually there is recognition for completing them in their own right but something extra for those who complete all of them.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Quick question- since the Guide Gold badge looks very challenging for a girl to achieve ( given that she will need to have pretty much 100% attendance ) does anyone know if there are any plans in the pipe line for something like a silver and bronze award, that still recognises achievment but also keeps the Gold Award special.

I understand that Gold needs to be a challenge and a very special achievement but what about those girls who are so 'nearly there' . Girls who through no fault of their own just miss out on Gold?Will there be anything they can aim for?
No. It won't be so difficult though - 6 Skills Builders done anytime over 4 years. Plus UMAs, 90 minutes of each theme per year would be more than sufficient. That just leaves 6 interest badges for the girls to do at home, and the final tasks. Much easier than for Rainbows or Brownies, certainly.

heletari

Beginner (10+ posts)
Looking forward to next week's activity - Uma - time traveling rainbow- it's about - when guiding started, rainbow rabbit and Olivia. Should be fun night. We are going to include making a rainbow rabbit pencil topper and an Olivia colouring sheet with the time machine on - links in with the Uma.
Hope you are all enjoying your SB + Uma activities.
We're running this UMA on Monday - how did you find it?

We have postponed it to this week. Going to do it over two weeks as it's 60 minutes Uma and we only meet for an hour.
The kims game will takes ages too.
I have some old guiding uniforms girls will enjoy getting dressed up too. Let me know how you get on.

Spittal Belle

Beginner (10+ posts)
This week our brownies did All creatures great & small which shocked some of them who didn't realise the danger some animals were in, I think I would send them off into their sixes next time to list 5-10 ways they can stop climate change. They also did Strike a light which was a real challenge for all of them, one could not be cajoled to take part although happy to toast her marshmallow over the tealight flame. Would definitely warn them not to touch the tealight once blown out, no mishaps thankfully.

Has anyone seen the new starting rainbows forms?
I've presume the other section forms have been changed too.
Felt bit sad reading through it - seems to be all about money and data. No mention of the promise and what we do.
Thought GG could have made the form more interesting / appealing. We should be proud of what we do.

AnotherOwl

Beginner (10+ posts)
Has anyone seen the new starting rainbows forms?
I've presume the other section forms have been changed too.
Felt bit sad reading through it - seems to be all about money and data. No mention of the promise and what we do.
Thought GG could have made the form more interesting / appealing. We should be proud of what we do.
Yes I agree - I was thinking it seemed a bit more wordy than the previous one. I guess this is the information they need to get across and the other stuff is in the handbook - although of course a lot of parents wouldn't read this. I think perhaps they should have simplified it and made it a bit more colourful/easy to read, the whole page of text can be quite offputting especially for parents who don't have good English (several in my units don't).

Also all the sections are pretty much exactly the same - did they used to be different?

They are here if anyone was wondering: Unit forms

turnip

Veteran (100+ posts)
We started the skills builders this week. We gave the girls the choice of two from the same theme and then in groups they chose which activity to start with.

Although we explained last week about the new program and how they would do all five activities from the SB they chose and would stay in that group and they couldn’t chop and change, I think it only really sunk in when they liked the look of an activity from the other skills builder and we had to explain that they need to do the ones they chose. I had a couple ask me if they can do the other one after this one, so had to explain that the next SB we do will be a different theme altogether.

Previously we’ve tended to all do the same thing, so they’ve not had to watch other Brownies do a fun activity that they won’t get to do, so that’s a big change for them I think. Guides will hopefully be a bit more used to it from GFIs.

Hilary240

Beginner (10+ posts)
We did the Odd Socks (UMA from the taster pack) with our Brownies last night. They absolutely loved it, though would have preferred a bit longer to make their puppets, and a bit less for the making up of a little play or mime. We had a few minutes left before we went home,came all chose to add a bit more to their creations rather than play a game!

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
We started the skills builders this week. We gave the girls the choice of two from the same theme and then in groups they chose which activity to start with.

Although we explained last week about the new program and how they would do all five activities from the SB they chose and would stay in that group and they couldn’t chop and change, I think it only really sunk in when they liked the look of an activity from the other skills builder and we had to explain that they need to do the ones they chose. I had a couple ask me if they can do the other one after this one, so had to explain that the next SB we do will be a different theme altogether.

Previously we’ve tended to all do the same thing, so they’ve not had to watch other Brownies do a fun activity that they won’t get to do, so that’s a big change for them I think. Guides will hopefully be a bit more used to it from GFIs.
Brownies would normally be used to it too, from doing different activities for their Adventure/Adventure On/More Adventures challenges, no?

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Yes I agree - I was thinking it seemed a bit more wordy than the previous one. I guess this is the information they need to get across and the other stuff is in the handbook - although of course a lot of parents wouldn't read this. I think perhaps they should have simplified it and made it a bit more colourful/easy to read, the whole page of text can be quite offputting especially for parents who don't have good English (several in my units don't).

Also all the sections are pretty much exactly the same - did they used to be different?

They are here if anyone was wondering: Unit forms
They were all much the same as each other before.