• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

No Consent form no parents to send back with.

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
I dont put them parent numbers into my phone buts that more because I can't keep them seperate to my own numbers and my phone like to send text to the wrong person now and again, but I do text parents and parents text me, my phone stores messages as conversations so usually if I scroll to an old message I know which parent it is or they put their name on and I can remember. I never delete a message from them (unless personal data on it).
I tell parents to text instead of Ring as I dont always get signal and can't answer my phone while at work (can text occasionally though).

bramblebush

Veteran (100+ posts)
Mine are grouped on phone memory (or SIM) as VIP, so I can send 1 group text should an emergency arise, this happened 2 yrs ago when we had really heavy snow and I couldnt get from my house to guide meeting 8 miles away, and the AG's were both stuck too...soon as a child leaves I delete the number, same with the guide email account, parents email address is deleted the same time as the GO record is made inactive.

amy246

Veteran (100+ posts)
We were told at the last meeting that you can have parents/guardians numbers in your phone, just not the girls (more applicable to Guides than Rainbows!) however we were slightly unsure about under 16 YL's/pack helpers

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
For Senior Section under 18 isn't there a permission to contact directly bit on the Starting form?
For Guide age I believe it's not allowed.

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
I have guides text me, I dont want them to I gave them my number at Big Gig just incase, I did have to send a message to one saying to stop texting me random messages.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
but for guides on an outing, texting is one way to stay in contact with each other!!! (if say going around a theme park????) but then its specifically for a trip and not for general chit chat and making contact...

sounds to me like the "guidance" needs to be a little clearer so that we don't have this range of interpretations and mis-interpretations/differences - for this is probably how the "myths" that surround guiding start up? we have a manual & members area, perhaps more specific guidance/information needs to be included so that we all know what we can do/can't do and should be doing?

if this is an illustration, just proves how ambiguous our current manual is... for if it can be interpreted different ways - its not effective? or not as effective as it could or should be...

Last edited:

Hilary

Guide Guider and District Commissioner
GuiderPlus
Or we could just be grateful if we are allowed to use our common sense for once. I for one don't want the manual telling me how to put one foot in front of the other. POR was tiny in comparison to the current manual; we seem to have rules, regulation and guidance for everything now. Are leaders now so much less capable than in years gone by? And please don't tell me it's because we live in a litigious age; most of that is myth believed by readers of the Daily Mail.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
but for guides on an outing, texting is one way to stay in contact with each other!!! (if say going around a theme park????) but then its specifically for a trip and not for general chit chat and making contact...

sounds to me like the "guidance" needs to be a little clearer so that we don't have this range of interpretations and mis-interpretations/differences - for this is probably how the "myths" that surround guiding start up? we have a manual & members area, perhaps more specific guidance/information needs to be included so that we all know what we can do/can't do and should be doing?

if this is an illustration, just proves how ambiguous our current manual is... for if it can be interpreted different ways - its not effective? or not as effective as it could or should be...
It is up to each leader whether or not they encourage the use of mobile phones on outings, given that they are brought at owners risk. If parents allow their girls to bring phones, then it is up to the girl to use them sensibly.

Possession or use of a mobile phone does not alter/remove the need to obey the leaders' instructions regarding behavour during outings, checking in with leaders at intervals, being back on time etc. On most outings where the girls are in unaccompanied groups such as at theme parks, the Leaders will establish a 'base' (often a particular cafe) where one or other of the leaders will be available throughout the day to deal with any queries or difficulties the girls have, and depending on circumstances the Guides may be required to 'check in' there at intervals to confirm they are okay and enjoying themselves. This prevents any worries about mobile phone signal, lack of recharging facilities etc on anyone's part, while striking a balance between supervision of the girls and allowing them the freedom appropriate to their years.

I think we need to be careful to avoid thinking the manual should contain a 'rule for everything', often there are simpler solutions which prevent the issue occurring in the first place.

bramblebush

Veteran (100+ posts)
ours get an emergency contact card for trips like Big Gig where we may get separated, but if we went somewhere more local and say had gone by coach not public transport then we just set up contact points and times, especially as some venues or guiding events are really small and so you can see the girls from one side of field..but we have more freedom with guides and older. You can say lunch at X in front of the Y...and they will turn up, especially if we have their lunches!

Oscar

Veteran (100+ posts)
We use a text service that allows us to store parents names and mobile numbers on a passport access database, no girls details and parents are aware I do this. Once added to this database, I can copy and paste within it to make list for events/trips. Means it takes minutes to group text all parents - if we need to remind no brownies or to return forms etc. it is cheap less than 6p a text. Easy to claim back as you buy a bundle of 100 texts pay with PayPal and I can then keep invoice for claiming. Means too parents don't have my mobile. And no numbers are stored on a phone tHat can get lost. I can access data base from a computer or smart phone.
Last trip we had home contact , but I managed to group text all parents picking up as we left venue and expected time back.
You can set up to accept return texts but we don't enable that.
If anyone interested can pm the link. Don't want to be advertising , but has made our lives easier.