• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Information: Our Chalet and Switzerland

Are you staying at Our Chalet next week Browniebeth? I'm heading out there 10th Aug for 10 days to visit a friend :)

Packing wise. Don't overpack, esp if you are on trains to Our Chalet, you will have to drag your luggage around on and off trains.

The weather can, and does, do anything. Sun, torential rain, thunderstorms within a couple of hours of each other. So pack for both. Jumper, waterproofs (coat and trousers if you have them), as well as shorts, suncream, sunglasses etc. Bear in mind you are at a higher altitude, so use the sun cream even if it doesnt seem *that* sunny. You can burn easily. Depending whereabouts you are going there are can be some evil flies around, insect repellent can be useful. Hiking boots are definatly much, much better than trainers if you have them. Many people come to the chalet without hiking boots, but they are way better than trainers and you are much less likley to end up slipping and injuring yourself. Bring badges to swap.

Can't think of much else. Just the obvious toiletries, clothes etc. Have you looked at the kit list on the chalet web site? From what I remember that is pretty good.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Yeah I am Kookabura, we go out on the 9th and arrive at Our Chalet on 10th until 18th.

I've now printed off the kit list from the website...thank you :D

*notes not to overpack*

Thanks for your help :)

mooskne

Veteran (100+ posts)
firstly im incredibly jealous of the 2 of you going out so soon.

It might be worth taking some British food to share? Tea bags are marmite are usually there in abundance. But sweets and random other things go down well.

Dont forget your camera and batteries. IT'll get used a lot out there! you might need a plug adapter for brit to european. dont worry if you dont take one, you can hire one from the chalet.

definatly don't overpack or have heavy bags. eh Kookabura? haha

ooo- one thing to take. a lunch box and a decent water bottle!!!

you wont need towels if you're staying at the chalet, they provide them for you.

have a great time!

firstly im incredibly jealous of the 2 of you going out so soon.

It might be worth taking some British food to share? Tea bags are marmite are usually there in abundance. But sweets and random other things go down well.

Dont forget your camera and batteries. IT'll get used a lot out there! you might need a plug adapter for brit to european. dont worry if you dont take one, you can hire one from the chalet.

definatly don't overpack or have heavy bags. eh Kookabura? haha

ooo- one thing to take. a lunch box and a decent water bottle!!!

you wont need towels if you're staying at the chalet, they provide them for you.

have a great time!
huh...I didn't over pack. Relatively speaking I had much less for 4 months than some of the americans dragged out there for 6 days!

And, if you're nice to me I might bring you some swiss chocolate back. :)

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Kookabura...I've finally clicked (I think), did you white water raft on monday?
I didn't (and don't) know what your name is or think to look where you're from, but I've just noticed that you're from nottingham which is what the people with us were talking about in the raft...I did wonder but I didn't say anything incase I looked a complete prat! If you did, were you the one who got pulled out of the boat or the other one?

I had an AMAZING time anyway :D

hehe! I was trying to work out which one you were as well!!

Yes, I was rafting on monday. I wasn't the one who was pulled out the raft - I was the other one! That was my sister.

We joined in on a couple of days of programme, which was why we were there some of the time, but not all of the week.

Glad you had a good time :)

Lette

Guide Guider & Senior Section Member
Ooh, thats odd to meet but not meet.

I was going to say a Notts County group were also out at Our Chalet at some point, I know some of the leaders who went.

Ooh, thats odd to meet but not meet.

I was going to say a Notts County group were also out at Our Chalet at some point, I know some of the leaders who went.
I went on that trip, but we were only at the chalet for a day!! I seriously agree about the overpacking - the amount of random stuff i took with me could of equipped a whole army and the only bit i needed was the dice from travel monopoly. And that was only for the chocolate game :D With Swiss chocolate!!

XD!! There is a pretty good hostel in Bern Lette, we didn't stay there but a friend of mine did(they had BRITISH TEA) I'll see if i can find out where it is for you. x