• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Parachutes!

sunsetsongbird

Rainbows & Guides GiC, Brownies AG
We've been collecting active kids vouchers at rainbows and I was thinking about getting a parachute. Any suggestions what size to get. I've got 15 Rainbows (and 2 young leaders who'd probably want to play too) The sizes they have are 1.8m, 3.7m, 6m and 9.1m.

Allie

Veteran (100+ posts)
I got the 6m one for my brownies last year, we had 18 of us around it on Wednesday and that was fine. I think you might be a bit squashed around the 3.7m one and the 9m one might not fit in your hall, I know it wouldn't fit in mine!

Allie

Veteran (100+ posts)
You are welcome, I only know cos I had the same problem deciding last year!
I have a similar problem, we're thinking of getting the aprons this year but I don't know whether to get the small (supposedly for 5-8years) or medium (9-12years) for my brownies? What do you think? Did anyone get the aprons last year?

TBird Anni

Veteran (100+ posts)
I have a similar problem, we're thinking of getting the aprons this year but I don't know whether to get the small (supposedly for 5-8years) or medium (9-12years) for my brownies? What do you think? Did anyone get the aprons last year?
If it will fit a 5 year old it will be a shade on the small side for your average Brownie won't it?

Allie

Veteran (100+ posts)
Yeah that's what I thought but then I thought it's quite a jump to the size of a 12 year old! But I guess you are right, thanks TBird Anni.

Owl of Browness

Beginner (10+ posts)
The parachutes in Tesco are only £8 until 1st June !!! they've also got inflatable shapes (like giant beach balls made of fabric in different shapes) reduced - they're having an outdoor toys event.

FluffyOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
You are welcome, I only know cos I had the same problem deciding last year!
i would say its better to have a big apron than a much smaller one that doesn't cover them up...

woodyowl

Forum Mod, Guide GIC, Rainbow GIC,
Staff member
GuiderPlus
parachute games

we have recently brought a parachute for the girls but really havent got many if any games to play with it.

any ideas ?

Boobook

Veteran (100+ posts)
fly away - put the parachute up into a mushromm ( eg on teh count of three every raises there arms and the parachute goes up and it looks like a mushroom) they as the paracute forms the mushroom everybody lets go.

cat and mouse -one girl goes ontop of the parachurte and another goes under and the one on top(cat) has to chase and catch the one under (mouse) the others help the mose by making waves with th eparachute.

washing machine - one girls sits in the middle of the parachute with here legs crossed. The others then walk around her winding the parachute up about her (parahute must go under her knees) then when you have wound the parachute up every pulls back and the person in the middle spins around as the parachute unravels.

climb the mountain - put the parachute up into a mushroom and when you bring in down kneel on the outside edge then 2 girls from opposite sides must run over the parachute to reach the others side first.

whos wearing - everyone makes a mushroom then a leader call out everyones whos wearing ... (eg yellow) and all those wearing that colur or item must changes places with someone on the opposite side of the chute before the parachute comes down and traps them underneath.

Osprey

Veteran (100+ posts)
this one really depends on what type of floor you've got, as carpet might hurt. here it goes...

you lay down the parrachute on the ground, and then choose one person to sit on top of it in the middle.
the rest of the people grad hold of the parachute, and start walking rounf in a circle, so the person in the middle gets wrapped up (only to their shoulders, don't want any injurys). then... all the people holding on to the parachute runn outwards, pulling the parachute at the same time. the girl in the middle should end up spinning round really fast.
it's really fun, i learn't this one at a guiders training day, and we had great fun. :) we're all big kids really. :D

Boobook

Veteran (100+ posts)
also for a group that you trust and is being sensible and on the correct surface(eg grass)

flying carpet - a girl sits in the middle of the parachute and the other put the parachute up into a mushroom whilst the girl is still on the chute. On the way down those holding the parachute must make sure the girl comes down slowly and controlled

catdrew

Brownie Guider
GuiderPlus
we give each girl a colour or other different name. you all heave parachute in air and someone shouts one colour and they have to change places before parachute comes down.
we have done where you raise parachute and have to bring it down and sit on it inside it. then we tell a story with each girl adding a sentence, in theory before parachute touches the ground. you can also get the girls to each say a word of ther promise in this one.

Lifeguards- Everyone sits round with legs in the sea (under the paracute), couple are sharks, they go under the paracute and try to drag others in their with them- they become sharks as well. Couple are lifeguards, stand up behind, they try and pull brownies being eaten by sharks back out again. The brownies can scream/ over act as they are being "eaten" by a shark to get the attention of a lifeguard, so its pretty noisy and I usually need a whistle to stop the game.

Make a mushroom sit on the edge of the paracute inside and play chinses whispers.

Polly

Veteran (100+ posts)
My units favorite game is the Washing machine.
One girl sits cross legged in the middle while the others hold on with one hand and walk around the girl in the middle.
The parachute gathers around the girl in the middle about her bottom and legs,
When the parachute edge is within 2/3 feet of the girl in the middle the others on the given signal turn outwards and move very fast backwards.
The girl in the middle is spun around.

guidingsteeler

Veteran (100+ posts)
Make a mushroom sit on the edge of the paracute inside and play chinses whispers.
I refuse to play chinese whispers following a rather embarrasing episode.
The whisper started as 'Guiding started in 1910' and came back 'You can get condoms in the mens'! Try explaining that one to parents of 10 year olds.

girlyguider

Veteran (100+ posts)
We do a different version of Washing Machine (I don't do the version that's been mentioned previously on here - one of my Youth Group got injured when we did it at church)
Two children are the clothes which need to be washed (usually called "smelly socks" or "dirty knickers" by my darling Brownies!), they lay UNDER the parachute in the middle. Others flap parachute gently over them (we say "adding soap powder"), then harder and faster ("water rushing in"). Then all run fast in one direction - keeping parachute low over the children in the middle (this is the "first spin"). Now run fast in oppostie direction (you've guessed it - "second spin"!)
Now to dry the clothes - lift parachute high above the washing and pull quickly down; repeat several times; this creates a gentle drying breeze. The two emerge from under the parachute (and everyone laughs at how static their hair has gone!), and the next load of washing is put into the machine....
Great fun, but your arms start to ache after the 5th load... :D