• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? people turning up to volunteer

rainbowroo

Veteran (100+ posts)
I have been looking for a new rainbow helper among my parents as my current unit helper is 65 in june and will not be able to continue every week. Not having advertised or really tried very hard i was surprised last night when at the start of the session someone knocked at the door wanting to help..
She had been a guide at the same time as me so was vaguly familiar but not well know to me or any one else..
She stayed for the session and sat at one of the activity tables with the young leader so was constantly with one of the crb checked staff.
As never come across anyone just turning up was not sure what to do, let her in or tell her to come back i was caught a bit unawares..
She is hoping to adopt and really wants to get involved with younger people and certainly was a great help. What capacity would you use her? What about crb checks etc. She is crb checked through work at present and it would be great to have help that wants to help rather than the kind of help i have had to convince to help..

I dont see a massive problem with her just turning up maybe she just didn't know who to contact.
You need to contact your DC and get the appropiate forms filled in including a new CRB we all have to have one done by GGUK. She will need 2 forms of ID for that including something with her address on like a bank statement.
I wish you the best leaders are so hard to come by.

rainbowroo

Veteran (100+ posts)
she needs the crb check, but how soon as she may come back next week and then never again give her a few week to find out if she wants to continue...

I think protocol would suggest she had contacted you prior to knocking on the door. I wouldn't want to appear unwelcoming by turning someone away, but at the same time we (and our girls) need to be prepared for visitors to the Unit.
I would say, unless it was someone well known to you, that next time you take a contact number then say you will be in touch to discuss matters.
If it was me turning up somewhere, unannounced, I wouldn't be offended at being asked to come at a more suitable time.
As lucie19 points out the DC should be made aware of things sooner rather than later, that is if you are all agreeable to her working in the Unit.
She may be perfect for the Unit and I hope things turn out well.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
At this stage I would get a note of her contact details and pass them to your DC. You/your DC can chat to her about the options re occasional helper/unit helper/Guider, and get an idea of which interests her. DC can start Disclosure/CRB procedure when she considers it appropriate.

Dietcoke

Brownie Guider and Forum Moderater
Agree it can be hard if someone just turns up at the door, but it dosnt happen that often. And if you have 5min spare to discuss what you are etc, i dont think there is much to be gained asking them to come back next week. Even if they had rung you up first to ask, your still non-the wiser about what they would be like with kids or crb etc.

Im the same if a parent arrives with a child and i have room and a spare form i dont say they cant start as i didnt know. OK now i know come back next week!

Ive had people come to help and not come back - thats fine but after 3 weeks say she and you should be in a better postion if your unit would suit then get the forms going.

yzz

Veteran (100+ posts)
I tell what happon to meI want help the brownies so told locol church give me time of local brownies guides say just turn up visit you be able helper I could not believe local church give time of guides and brownies guides but can you believe I stanger give me time and names both guides and brownies of three unit how danger is at? luck was Rainbow guides unit-helper said can't turn up on door there rules folow in gguk. so what do you think should done?

Dietcoke

Yaz I think it is polite to ask before you turn up, but sometiems people dont know who you are before doing so.

I have never had a problem with people knowing where my unit is and what times, if you keep things to secret then you will never get any new girls starting. If someone really wants to find out where children will be (in a bad way) its easy for them to anyway.

My point was that even if I had phone call from a stranger the day before asking to help, there isnt much difference to you turning up and asking as you still wount know if they are "safe" etc until after their CRB forms have been done anyway.

Dietcoke

Are there official rules on this?
The rules are that a regular helped must be CRB and then registered as unit helper or guider.

And they cant have access to children alone (not that we try to do that anyway) before this.

But i think if we get to the point where we say you cant be in a hall with children and other guiders before we have checked you out.... ie picked up references/waited weeks for crb etc. Then its a 'risk' we take?

Its hard as do we say that for stranger but if a mum whos intersted ask to help we say fine as shes a parent??

Rugby Widow

Veteran (100+ posts)
I think I read somewhere that we are discouraged from publishing our meeting times and places, e.g. in the local paper, along with the not naming girls in photos rule. Offhand, not sure where I read it now though. Please feel free to check the online manual for me as I really don't like it.

I don't think we can say an interested adult is going to be any more of a risk than a parent. Both are an unknown quantity until CRBd.

It maybe that the lady knows it will improve her chances of adopting if she can show she is involved with children already. The cynic in me says she may drop Rainbows once she has a reference from you, or I may be completely wrong she may stick around and enjoy working with the girls for years to come.

I think I read somewhere that we are discouraged from publishing our meeting times and places, e.g. in the local paper, along with the not naming girls in photos rule. Offhand, not sure where I read it now though. Please feel free to check the online manual for me as I really don't like it.
This is true I had to make sure i knew this but for my ALQ.

It maybe that the lady knows it will improve her chances of adopting if she can show she is involved with children already. The cynic in me says she may drop Rainbows once she has a reference from you, or I may be completely wrong she may stick around and enjoy working with the girls for years to come.
This is what I did I started helping out for completely selfish reasons (to improve my CV) but guiding got its claws into me and now I cant imagine ever leaving

Dietcoke

Really?? Id be really interested to say about no times or place anywhere.... Ive just put a poster up where we met in communcity centre hundreds through the door every week.

But if i didnt say we met here x days x time how on earth will I ever get more girls???

Whats the difference between that and local paper? Anyone can read notices board in library/churches of paper.

rainbowroo

Veteran (100+ posts)
this lady is known to a couple of the trefoil guild who i have managed to speak to today and they are of the opinion that we should be encouraging these people who want to become involved not turning them away and waiting weeks on end for checks etc...

jim

GuiderPlus
no reason what so ever why she cant start straight away you only need crb checks if they are left unattended with the girls
crb check and registration can be done later

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
It comes down to common sense and gut feeling sometimes. Someone shows up, you welcome them, show them around, gently try and find out what they are hoping to get out of it... most people nowadays will appreciate the need for care on our part and the fact that we can't accept them on a regular basis without a CRB and some form of reference. If they kick up a fuss at our precautions, are they right for Guiding ?

You can usually find out about someone with a couple of phone calls so you know if the next step is worth embarking on.

Dietcoke

no reason what so ever why she cant start straight away you only need crb checks if they are left unattended with the girls
crb check and registration can be done later
Well said Jim, sometimes i think we all get bit hystrical at what could possible happen to one adult in a room full of children and other adutls!!

Stranger adults are along side your children all time, sitting next to them in libray/in the swimming pool/on the bus. They are fine!!!!

Of course im not saying we should never do checks but in a supervised envronment in public place ....... I think we can not worry to much.

Luce

Brownie and Guide Guider, DC
I introduced myself by chance to the local Brownie leader when I moved to the area at a village social. She said just turn up to the meeting. None of my paper work from previous county was in place. We don't make a habit of being alone with the girls anyway, so it's fine. I think we can be a bit OTT about this sometimes.

suzanne_1

Veteran (100+ posts)
I would just like to add this to the mix. when i wanted to join as a guider i contacted GGUK and expressed my intrest. I went through the correct channels and got a letter from HQ giveing me the details of my Local District commisioner and contact number. I rang this left a message and never heard anything back. I thankfully knew a parent of a brownie who told me what time they met. so went down off my back and introudced myself.

If i hadnt i would still be waiting now for a offical response and may be the reason why not many new leaders/unit helpers get a chance to join as they are ignored when expressing an intrest.

hortibabe

Veteran (100+ posts)
I've had a couple of my best leaders from an advert on freecycle. They just emailed me and I gave them the numbers of the units looking for help. They went along, helped for around a month, decided they wanted to stay then I had all the paperwork filled in and they've been around ever since. I don't think it's worth rushing to do crb or forms until they have decided they want to stay. Common sense and not leaving them alone with the girls or letting them go off on their own with a girl etc is ample. Also it is true that when you advertise your meeting/unit you can put the day they meet but not the place or time. It's also advisable to only put your District/division comm contact details and not individual leaders, this came from a training I did at CHQ.