• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Reindeer Food

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Coloured sugar would be better than glitter, as it would eventually degrade, and wouldn't harm wildlife - whereas glitter may.

yorkie67

Div CA, GIC G, GIC R
GuiderPlus
was not impressed in morrisons at the check outs i spotted ready made properly packed versions of reindeer food.
I saw them this afternoon but didn't check what was in it! Anyone got ideas?

I've made some for my son's fund raising stall for Sunday! (I've warned oh not to let the kids feed them to reindeers as there are some reindeers at the xmas fair - it's a local farm we're going to!)

Porth

Veteran (100+ posts)
I like the idea of reindeer food for Rainbows. Last year I gave out reindeer and snowman poo for the girls to eat. The girls didn't know how seriously to take me as I had a straight face on. Several girls said 'but snowmen don't poo' and I asked if they were sure and that snowmen might poo when they're not looking. I've seen approprate labels for them somewhere and they all liked it. One of the girls kept saying but we've got chocolate buttons and mini marshmallows. My friend (who's my UH) and I kept saying, no it's reindeer and snowman poo.

catdrew

Brownie Guider
GuiderPlus
think the packet said oats and glitter but i didnt look that closely. only realised cos my oh was looking baffled at me buying those straw sweetie things full of coloured sugar.

naim

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I have done this a couple of times with a group of (vunerable) children at school aged 5-11 and they all wanted it!! I think a couple of the older ones wanted it for their younger brothers/sisters but even some of the them were not sure if I was telling the truth!! I really went to town and put everything in a sparkly box, told them I had to buy it on the internet - only select adults can apply "and I was chosen this year"!! I put the glitter in glass jars and labled them 'ruby red' and 'crystal white' and also bagged the oats and labled them 'Reindeer food'. I used xmas gift bags from Lakeland - pretty cheap - and justtied gift ribbon around. The children were so taken in with the 'magic' of it all. :)

I've attached the lables I've made, though they were on publisher, page one and two I printed back-to-back for the lables. I have resaved them as pictures, so hopefully they will print okay. Must say, I do prefer the poems mentioned on here rather than the one I had. Might change it this year :)

grrrr, the pictures have saved small, I was expecting them to attach A4 size. If you want them, pm me your email address and I'll send them to you :)

Attachments

yorkie67

Div CA, GIC G, GIC R
GuiderPlus
Does anyone have any labels that they could email me please?
I can if you want but they're not labels, I had to cut them out and punch a hole in top corner and oh before that laminate them or sticky back them! What did you want - is it reindeer food?

Porth

Veteran (100+ posts)
It's amazing how many kids can be drawn into the magic especially if we can keep straight faces. When I mentioned the snowman and reindeer poo at the last meeting quite a few looked a bit puzzled at me and didn't question me. A couple said that they were actually chocolate buttons and marshmallows, also got 'informed' that snowmen don't poo. I asked this one particular girl if she was absolutely sure and that it was actual poo even if they looked like certain other things in the shops. The beauty of working with Rainbows. This year it will part of their Christmas present and I'm going to try and get some Christmassy bags to wrap the stuff in possibly some labels as well. If else fails it will be in a container (like you get Chinese take aways in) and decorate accordingly, but still put on a label from Santa Claus. Also do a mini Christmas quiz or trail of some description.

roobeedoo

Veteran (100+ posts)
It was our church christmas fete yesterday we sold Baker Ross Snow globes with a picture of the Church in (dont buy them they leak!!) We inherited them from the old leader but as we've grown numbers we just didn't have enough left for the girls to do in the meeting hence we used them in this way.
We decorated various boxes with christmas paper and ribbons and stuck some tissue paper in, selling them as christmas gift boxes for awkward shaped or small presents (very cheap but took a lot more time than we thought to make) Struggled to sell at 50p each.
We made mini christmas puddings 6 to 20 x donated cake boxes (chocolate with golden syrup, butter, crushed biscuits almonds and cherries then decorated with icing).....i never want to see another one of those things again....besides the time it took the other leader to make the balls ready for us to decorate, it then took 2 of us nearly 4 hours to decorate 120 of them!! Only just managed to sell the 20 boxes for £1 a box.

AND finally reindeer food.....it was not only the easiest and quickest thing to make but even buying lakeland clear disposable piping bags instead of the normal cellophane bags they were by far the cheapest thing to make and sold easily for a £1 a bag.
By the way instead of gtting your oats from the cereal ailsle in the supermarket with the scottish oats/readybrek take a look in the baking section by the bags of sultanas raisins I got mine from there and they were a third of the price. Dont be put off either by making the coloured sugar, and this coming from someone who doesn't do anything in the kitchen. I grabbed a curry sauce jar out of the recycling filled it half full with normal granulated sugar added a couple of drops of red food colouring, put lid on shook it for a minute and hey presto red sugar!!

Porth

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'm really thinking of making reindeer food with the Rainbows this year as most of them still believe in Santa (only if it's well he just may exist). I know that the oats in the local supermarket - the shops' own cheap brand isn't that expensive. I'm sure that I could use some of the sugar that's in my kitchen and some of the food colouring as well. I think that's my Rainbow presents sorted for this year - two to use before Christmas and something to open on Christmas day itself. Introduce the 'essentials' for Santa's visits.

I could thread a line that Santa has sent me a message requesting that the Rainbows make and bag some feed for his Reindeer this year and could they put it out for them on Christmas Eve. As a reward they can get some Reindeer and Snowmen poo.

Now to find something to send the stuff home with the Reindeers

kes120

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
love this idea, my nephew has made this in school apparently ( he's 4) am now trying to persuade my sis to give him a bag of reindeer poop on christmas morning to show that they came!

Porth

Veteran (100+ posts)
I gave all my Rainbows (who were at the meeting) some Reindeer food, reindeer poo and snowman poo. They were happy as this was an added extra as well as their 'main' present which was two pencils and a Rainbow bookmark. I'm going to ask them when they are at the first meeting back after the holidays who put out the reindeer food for Santa's reindeer. They all thought it was a brilliant idea. On each of the boxes of 'food' I put a label which said that it was only for flying reindeer. One of the girls asked what would happen if her dog ate it, and my UH very quickly replied then your dog may just fly. The girl couldn't think of an answer for that.