• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Simple Advent Calendar?

zrra268

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thinking ahead for the autumn/winter term - we've done advent calendars of various designs with the Guides over recent years, but they've always been quite intricate and have taken us a couple of weeks.

Does anyone have a simpler design we could use for the Brownies and could be finished in one meeting - ideally that involves chocolate...sadly they wouldnt be interested otherwise!

qwerky

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I've made:
decorated matchbox christmas trees (chocolates in the drawers)
sewed packets (containing chocolate) on a string

both quite fiddly and intricate.

but a couple of years ago we made chocolate jacobs ladders which were brilliant
and some of the girls (i found out recently) had still not eaten their chocolates becasue they were so proud of what they had made!

qwerky

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
This is where I got the idea:
http://www.homemade-gifts-made-easy.com/jacobs-ladder-toy.html

I then practised making my own a few times (it's a bit fiddly to start). An made my own set of instructions for hte guides (I don't have them on this computer though).

Round cristmas you can get boxed of chocolates the right sort of shape. Tesco did little boxes that could each make 6 ladders for 2.50 each.

We used thin (packing) ribbon instead of paper pecause it required less preparation.

TawnyJen

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thinking ahead for the autumn/winter term - we've done advent calendars of various designs with the Guides over recent years, but they've always been quite intricate and have taken us a couple of weeks.

Does anyone have a simpler design we could use for the Brownies and could be finished in one meeting - ideally that involves chocolate...sadly they wouldnt be interested otherwise!
A pretty simple one is to get cardboard boxes and cut them out into a tree shape and then glue a sheet of wrapping paper over the top/paint green. Girls can then tie (punch holes through and use ribbon) or selotape chocolates on as baubles. Those from big tins work well. Then write a number next to each one in a silver or gold gel pen.

confusedqueen

Veteran (100+ posts)
I've seen them done with toilet rolls - you put a sweet/whatever inside each one then stick pieces of tissue with the numbers written on over the ends, then stick them all together in a sort of christmas tree/pyramid type shape and to open the days you just poke your finger through the tissue paper =)