• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Teambuilding

we play this with our girls everytime we have some new ones join us!

All sit in a circle on chairs, one must call out random things like.....

If you have eaten before coming here
If you wear glasses
If you are wearing trainers
If you have a sister
If you have a cat
if you are 5

and so on

If the answer is YES then they must stand up and move one space to the left.
If the seat is occupied then they must sit on that persons lap!

Have done it with adults too and is a great ice breaker

i play a game in my brownie unit called tadpole, you might of heard of it before, its quite popular. You need two teams, 1 team makes a circle facing inwards with 1 of their team members stood in the centre, the other team stand in single file facing the circle. The person in the middle of the circle has a ball [ tennis balls seem to work best :)] and they pass the ball to a person stood in the circle who then passes it back. they then go all the way around the circle, once round once thats a point. if the ball is droped they must start over. the people in the line have to run around the outside of the circle each gaining a point. The teams then swap over and see who can gain the most points at the end :D

bryony

Guide and Ranger Guider
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Ok - bumping this up to give me a kick to get going with it... sorry I have done nothing so far...

And because I want to do some team building again tonight and need some ideas! See if I had made the booklet it would be so much easier...

FluffyOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Feeling a bit inspired, started trying to get something in word for this, (hope you don't mind Bryony) I will post if I get anywhere with it and maybe look for some volunteers to tweak it...

bryony

Guide and Ranger Guider
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Feeling a bit inspired, started trying to get something in word for this, (hope you don't mind Bryony) I will post if I get anywhere with it and maybe look for some volunteers to tweak it...
hehe, no I don't mind at all!

I just did a belbin exercise last night wiht my SS as they are mostly quite grown up. quite interesting and I was not surprised wiht many of the results!

We also did a good communications exercise, where one had to describe an object to the others without saying what it was (e.g. an anteater) and the others had to draw the object. then they had to compare what they had drawn...

FluffyOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
I was going to ask that! So far I have 9 of the ideas in a format just going to need tweaking, putting into sections and then when the others added it will be done :)

Smudge

The Doctor (5000+ posts)
we play this with our girls everytime we have some new ones join us!

All sit in a circle on chairs, one must call out random things like.....

If you have eaten before coming here
If you wear glasses
If you are wearing trainers
If you have a sister
If you have a cat
if you are 5

and so on

If the answer is YES then they must stand up and move one space to the left.
If the seat is occupied then they must sit on that persons lap!

Have done it with adults too and is a great ice breaker
So how does this work if something is called out and you have someone on your lap - do you both move?

bryony

Guide and Ranger Guider
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Belbin basically had a theory that individuals had preferences and strengths for different roles in a team. he categorised these as 8 different roles and there are lots of different analysis tools for identifying your and others preferred roles (some simple some more complex).

I have a very simple one which I can share when it is all typed up.

you have to take it with a pinch of salt as it depends on your own assessment of your character but it is an interesting discussion - how you can form good teams and general awareness of your own behaviours.

FluffyOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Just thought I would bring this thread to my own (and everyone else's attention again!) I was trying to put lots of team building games into a booklet but havent moved forward at all!

bryony

Guide and Ranger Guider
Staff member
GuiderPlus
ooh Fluffy, I was just thinking about this the other day! I may have time next week to take another look - do you have anything to share or shall I start from scratch?

bryony

Guide and Ranger Guider
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Draft 1!

:p OK, no-one faint... but with Fluffy Owls fab start and some time today here is the first draft!:)

It is 11 pages. games are divided into icebreakers/intros; teambuilding/leadership; comms and logic. 27 games so far

Happy to add more in or take on board any (constructive) suggestions! Once we have had it quality checked by you guys I will upload it into the downloads.

View attachment Team Building Activities.doc

bryony

Guide and Ranger Guider
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Thank you! Typo corrected but I haven't uploaded the udated version...

If anyone has more ideas I am happy to include them.

HoneyPie

Beginner (10+ posts)
It looks fab!

How about adding the 'pass the hoop' game? Everyone holds hands in a circle and have to pass a hula-hoop (or long loop of material) around the circle without letting go. You could have two loops travelling in different directions to make it more challenging!

Or 'group juggling', where you all stand in a circle and throw a ball (beanbag, soft toy, rubber chicken, or whatever) from person to person across the circle - all members of the circle may only throw/catch the ball once in the turn and it should return to the original thrower at the end. Once you have established a pattern, you can add more balls (or other items), to see how many can be juggled by everyone at one time (the bigger the circle, the more you can juggle!)

Or turning the groundsheet - the Patrol members stand on a groundsheet - the challenge is to turn the groundsheet over without anyone touching the ground (they must keep on the groundsheet at all times).

One good icebreaker/mixer is the mummy, daddy, baby game: Give everyone a card that has a different mummy, daddy and baby animal on (ones that make a distinctive noise, such as cow, sheep, duck, goldfish(!)). They are not allowed to speak, but they must make their animal noise to find the other two animals in their family and sit down in order (daddy, mummy, baby). Challenge is to be the fastest to do this!

(Spotted another typo on page 2 - there = their)

bryony

Guide and Ranger Guider
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Thanks Honey Pie, like the suggestions will add them when I am on the right computer! and keep spotting the typos!