• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

toilet rolls

littleowllou

Veteran (100+ posts)
ewwwwwww!!! i dont know how some people can do that esp when some public toilets aren't the cleanest

i chuckled to myself today when i added yet another inner tube to my ever expanding carrier bag of them .... who would have thought ..... such innocent things causing such a long thread .....!!

ewwwwwww!!! i dont know how some people can do that esp when some public toilets aren't the cleanest

i chuckled to myself today when i added yet another inner tube to my ever expanding carrier bag of them .... who would have thought ..... such innocent things causing such a long thread .....!!
You need to make sure that bag is marked hazardous waste!!!

Scarlet

Looking for a Unit to join
When you gotta go scarlet you gotta go! lol! If I can wait I will, but sometimes you really need to go.
Well yes, but I like to think I wouldn't. I have been know to use them but they always stink so much like the air needs to be chewed instead of breathing. :speechless-011:toilet::speechless-003

was that too much info?

Orly

Veteran (100+ posts)
Can't think of anything more useful to do with the toilet roll inners. I just want to know who it was who decided that they were (apparently) so harmful. Anybody know ?

Crazy Chilly

Veteran (100+ posts)
I am not sure where I heard/read it but I too was under the impression we could not use toilet roll tubes only kitchen roll ones!!!! And like other people on here I don't know why!?

newbe

Veteran (100+ posts)
i've got an idea couldnit see it up above cut down the tubes and make napkin holders,
we made them years ago on PH by winding wool or string around them...

just a thought though..... i thought please let me know if i'm wrong but people will use the toilet roll before washing hands so i thought it would still be a health issue.

Pinkstar

Pre-Warrented adult leader and lovin it
the reason why is because its stored in a bathroom and could have a lot of germs on them

(lmao reeeeealy!)

Wren

Mod
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Not the 'we cannot use toilet rolls' thing again?

Until it is in the manual as a blue rule, I will continue to use them!

sallymoo1993

Guide Young Leader
Everything when I was young was made from toilet rolls!
We made castles once, well the towers were made from toilet rolls.
You can always make animals, Using the toilet roll as it's body and adding extra parts for heads, legs and what not.
And then you could also do a cometition to see who can buildy the tallest tower using only toilet rolls, no glue or selotape, just toilet rolls.
x

fidgetthedog

Regular (50+ posts)
Toilet rolls - Urban Myth?!

I had my pre-term meeting on Tues and my guider brought this up (again) so I thought I'd do some research and looked at the government Health and Safety (HSE) website and lo and behold they have it on their site as an urban myth!! Link below with printable poster!

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/august.htm

The text reads as follows:

<This story started after a school briefly banned children from using <cardboard egg boxes to make things, threatening years of Blue Peter <tradition. They were concerned that children might catch salmonella.

<Within a few days the school realised there was guidance from the County <Council and an organisation for teachers called CLEAPSS, making clear that <as long as egg boxes and toilet roll centres look clean, there is no reason <why they should not be used.

I've looked for official GGUK advice (ha) and found nothing else. I just think it's one of those myths that will always exist and rear it's head every now and again.

I'm going to ignore it and make Christmas crackers with them xxx

ChocClare

Rainbow Guider
I had my pre-term meeting on Tues and my guider brought this up (again) so I thought I'd do some research and looked at the government Health and Safety (HSE) website and lo and behold they have it on their site as an urban myth!! Link below with printable poster!
Thanks for this - I've always thought it was by far the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard - and if they're so horribly germ-ridden, would I really want to put them in my microwave anyway??!!!

The most successful craft I've done with these (and I've done millions, believe me) was to cut each one across to give you three or four rings. Cut a slice through and then cover with silver foil, so that you have a bracelet which you can then decorate with beads (the slit allows it to slide over your hand). It was on dltk and the girls loved it - here's the link. http://www.dltk-kids.com/World/mexico/mexican_bean_bracelets.htm I used beads instead of beans and cut the rolls before I covered them with foil - that way we just folded the foil around the cardboard and didn't need glue to fix it on.

Rainbow wren

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thanks for this idea we are going to do the Gold glitters idea from Olivias Favourites as part of the badge (they have to find glittery things hiden around the room and then make them in to Jewellery).