• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Travel question

Oscar

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hi all

We are traveling by train on Sunday to Alexandra Palace. I'm told there may be a shuttle bus up to the palace. ? cost. There is also the W3 bus.
If the weather is dry we will walk (15 minutes).
However do not want the girls arriving wet. Just rang the palace and someone told me that the bus fare is £2.40 for everyone including children?
Is that right ? I thought under 11s travelled free on London buses.
We don't live in London or have Oyster cards.

fruityloop92

Veteran (100+ posts)
so glad you asked this, as we were planning to walk or get the W3. I assumed it was free for children.

I'm also assuming that all the buses will be very full (particularly on the way home) with 3000 people going

Hopefully someone will know.

Oscar

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thank you qwerky luckily all brownies so under 11. My dd is 11 but would just pay for her ticket. Agree fruityloop the buses will be busy. So think it will be a case of walking. Cant believe they didn't think it necessary to organise shuttle buses for the weekend.
We don't mind walking at all but am concerned that if the girls arrive wet there is no where to hand wet clothes dry out etc.
Have just text all my parents to ask girls to wear waterproof trousers and cagoules. But am wondering about footwear? They need trainers for activities. If they bring wellies and trainers in backpacks, what do we do with the wellies all day. Don't want to end up carrying 12 pairs of wellies.

Last edited:

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'm not sure why wellies would be necessary even if it is raining - it's not like you'll be walking through fields?!

Last edited:

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
Are you travelling into London by train? If so, get a travelcard and you should be able to use this on the W3 bus (at least I hope you can as that is our plan).

I think bringing wellies is a bit OTT. They are horrid to walk in and most trainers are reasonably waterproof.

We have left plenty of time to travel within London (1.5 hours to get from Waterloo to Alexandra Palace), to leave enough time to get space on the bus. I can understand why they haven't got shuttle buses - it would have put ticket cost up for everyone, meaning people getting coaches or getting dropped off would be paying for those using public transport.

Oscar

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'm not sure why wellies would be necessary even if it is raining - it's not like you'll be walking through fields?!
No but trainers are not water proof so girls may arrive with wet feet. Which may be no good for some of the activities. We have had very heavy rain here recently not just drizzle.

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
It is up to you, but we aren't bothering with wellies!! If they get wet feet, they get wet feet. Maybe suggest a spare pair of socks? Our girls will be carrying their own stuff all day - can you imagine the amount of lost wellies there would be?!

Oscar

Veteran (100+ posts)
[
We have left plenty of time to travel within London (1.5 hours to get from Waterloo to Alexandra Palace), to leave enough time to get space on the bus. I can understand why they haven't got shuttle buses - it would have put ticket cost up for everyone, meaning people getting coaches or getting dropped off would be paying for those using public transport.[/QUOTE]

We are traveling directly to Alexandra Palace Station. The palace has its own shuttle buses that take people backwards and forwards for events. I have been to other large scale events there and used the shuttle bus. With 3000 people/chiildren arriving many by public transport at roughly the same time and leaving at the same time too; I would have thought it might have been sensible to avoid overcrowding on public buses/long queues etc. The shuttle bus cost compared to the cost of the whole event and activities would have been very small.
We will be avoiding buses unless we really have to use them. It is a 10-15 minute walk.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
No but trainers are not water proof so girls may arrive with wet feet. Which may be no good for some of the activities. We have had very heavy rain here recently not just drizzle.
So long as you state on the paperwork that they are to bring waterproof jackets with hoods, and indicate that there will be a 15-minute walk, then it's up to them and their parents to either provide suitable jackets and footwear or not. Though I don't know what activities are planned, wellies may be far more awkward - not suitable for any active activities, and uncomfortable to walk around all day in.

sofa32

R/B/G/SS leader
So long as you state on the paperwork that they are to bring waterproof jackets with hoods, and indicate that there will be a 15-minute walk, then it's up to them and their parents to either provide suitable jackets and footwear or not. Though I don't know what activities are planned, wellies may be far more awkward - not suitable for any active activities, and uncomfortable to walk around all day in.
Wellies would be unsuitable for at least some of the activities - knowing the activities being provided. I'm sure trainers will dry out fairly quickly.

Oscar

Veteran (100+ posts)
Quote my post - If they bring wellies and trainers in backpacks,
They need trainers for some of the activities we have asked all the girls to bring/wear them. Hopefully it will be normal drizzle and not heavy down pours.

Loopy

Veteran (100+ posts)
The forecast is for light rain on Sunday - keep an eye on it, but unless it changes I wouldn't say that calls for more than a waterproof coat. I certainly wouldn't bother with wellies

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Just a warning - some of the routes up to Ally Pally are uphill - and they are quite steep too from memory!