• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

UH Uniform

Cloudy Owl

Brownie Guider
GuiderPlus
Hello all,

Sorry if this has been covered before, but a bit of advice please!

My UH, very innocently, bought from CHQ via the internet shop, an adult leaders top. She didn't have to prove who she was or wasn't, so she thought it was ok to wear as she was allowed to buy it. I had shown her in the catalogue the polo shirt, I didn't show her the blue top with the light blue collar, which is what she ended up buying. She hasn't claimed the money for it, as she was happy to buy it herself.

I can see that perhaps she shouldn't have bought it, but I don't really have a problem with it, as we match and have Owl names, and look like we're in charge! (although looks can be deceptive...!)

The problem is, my ex-Brown Owl, who didn't like the UH (the feeling was mutual), has now became DC, and has already looked in the Manual as to whether my UH can wear the top. She has stated that it's not really clear in the Manual, but I'm concerned there may be trouble brewing, due to their mutual dislike and this 'top' issue.

Should I e-mail the Divisional Commissioner, to tell her all of this before it has the potential to go wrong? I have previously told my UH that the top may be for guiders only, and that the ex-BO had a problem with it, they had issues on the first night that she wore it so this wasn't news to her.

Oh, why can't things be simple! There's enough trouble around without worrying what top someone is wearing! All the parents know that I'm warrranted and the leader, I don't see it as a threat to me or my position, gggrrr!!

Any advice or help is welcome, thank you!

Dietcoke

Brownie Guider and Forum Moderater
I had a quick look leaders (those doing alq) can wear guidewear ie uniform.

Unit helpers can wear member wear (the blue tops navy collar)

So techicaly they are not supposed to wear it, but having said that dont think it is reasonable to accept her to be out of pocket and have to buy another one either. Maybe she could still wear it to meetings, but at offical events (when dc maybe around) wear navy one??

Or sign her up for alq shes most likely done most of it already!

Little

Veteran (100+ posts)
Does she have a UH badge tab? That might ease it a little by making it clearer. Or even if she starts the LQ, then shes entitled to wear it, I think.

Julia

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
No she shouldn't wear it (navy polo with lighter / mid blue collar) as this is an outward sign that she is a qualified Leader or working towards being one.

She could wear the mid blue polo with the navy blue collar (for any Member (but it is not 'uniform' for Leaders).

Perhaps someone else could buy the 'Leaders' polo shirt off her and she can get the correct member polo - if she is indeed a Member Unit Helper (non-member Unit Helpers shouldn't wear it either).

If she isn't a Member then I think she is only entitled to wear the UH badge tab.

batty bird

R's B's & G's
i have a similar problem . my UH was given a guiders top by her old unit so she came to us wearing it . but my DC has spoken to me on numerouse occassions saying that she shouldn't wear it and other guiders have noted this.
ireally dont feel i should ask her to get the UH top , being as it wasn't me or our district who said she could wear it. and that she has sown lots of badges on it and proudly shows them off.
the girls and parents in the units she helps at wouldn't know the difference anyway ! and she has just turned 65 , and telling he she cant wear her top would prob make her feel even more 'worthless' as now she is 65 i have the prob that she 'dosen't count' .

ChrisA

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Once you are 65 you can't be a Unit Helper or attend unit meetings on a regular basis.

In my District we ask all Unit Helpers to become members of the Guide Association - we buy them the members polo shirt and they can receive Guiding magazine.

Cloudy Owl

Brownie Guider
GuiderPlus
Thanks for all your advice, it's been really helpful!

I think the best course of action is to follow DietCoke's advice, and ask her not to wear it for official outings but it's ok within the meeting place. I didn't realise until recently that there was a UH badge tab, I saw one at some training and wondered what it was! So I'm off to get that as well, and suggest the polo shirt with the warmer weather coming it might be nice anyway. She is aware that there may be a problem, and we get on fine so I have no problem in having a chat with her, and heading off any potential trouble! (It was so bad between her and the ex-BO, that she wouldn't come if BO was there ...)
Batty Bird, what a dilemma for you though! At least mine is relatively simple to resolve, well I hope it is, but a good suggestion from Chris A, let's hope your UH can still feel worthy, it's best that I don't get started on the age limit, as I get very frustrated by that to say the least!
Anyway, thanks to all, as always!

catdrew

Brownie Guider
GuiderPlus
could the unit buy her a proper UH member top. then she has one and can maybe alternate each week.

i dont think the parents really take alot of notice anyway.

Phillipa

Veteran (100+ posts)
If she hasn't worn it already then would they not swap it for her if she explains she didn't realise she couldn't wear that one? It's worth asking.

I'm a bit annoyed that there is no uniform for non-member UHs. UHs are invaluable to a Unit and yet they have to dress as if they are punters who just walked in from the street. I apologize to all punters, as I don't mean to denigrate.
I have bought my UHs the "girls in the lead" badge to give them a bit of status.
I'm surprised CHQ/Trading Services haven't got together to come up with something suitable and make even more profit for GGUK.

Bizilizzie

Rainbow Guider
I'm a bit annoyed that there is no uniform for non-member UHs. UHs are invaluable to a Unit and yet they have to dress as if they are punters who just walked in from the street. I apologize to all punters, as I don't mean to denigrate.
I have bought my UHs the "girls in the lead" badge to give them a bit of status.
I'm surprised CHQ/Trading Services haven't got together to come up with something suitable and make even more profit for GGUK.
Totally agree with you little rainbow - my unit runs entirely with unit helpers and me. The reason they are not members is the cost of it - £22 for being a volunteer is outrageous in my opinion - if we only had one UH we could pay for them out of funds but problem is we have 4! Not seen the girls in the lead badge so must have a look.

My unit helpers wear county wera which we were told anyone can wear, as I sometimes wear in the unit as well means they have a kind of uniform but not breaking any rules ? You could always get some printed cheaply wit your unit name on as a compromise also.

Cloudy Owl

Brownie Guider
GuiderPlus
Quick update: I bought my UH a members shirt, she tried to pay for it but I insisted that she wouldn't! She's really happy to have it as a gift, and we've come up with a plan so that she can wear the other top when we're not going out.
She did offer to wash it and give it to me so that somebody else could use it, but she bought it herself so that wouldn't have been right.
I've offered her the ribbon tab, but at the moment she's happy to have the polo shirt and wear a blue fleece of her own.
Thanks for your help everybody, we've had a successful conclusion!

Hilzo42

Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
good to hear that! :)
As a member she is entitled to make the Promise, or if not you could buy her the members badge: Girlguiding UK Online Shop - Product Information to pin on.

I emailed GG about the issue a while back as the old manual as somewhat confusing - they confirmed the leader polo's (navy/white, blue collar) are only for leaders with/working towards ALQ.
The members blue polo is for everyone, as long as they're a member! All UH's (members or not) can wear the raspberry tab though. County badge, World badge or any they may have earned as a guide (if they were one) or DofE could go on a tab as well.

Would be so much simpler if the leader wear was called 'uniform' again! then it would be only qualified/working towards qualification can wear uniform! save the confusion......

as for the 65+ UH, have you pointed her in the direction of the Trefoil Guild? UH's are also 18-65, but she could still help out as a TG member (just technically not every week). then she could wear one of their polo's instead?