• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Weekly discussion: Qualifying to lead

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
It is recommended that Mentors are not in the same district, so that new leaders can see how guiding is run in other areas, but it's not a requirement.
Not in the same unit, yes. Not in the same District, no. Indeed geographically, it may be unrealistic to have someone outwith the District, as some Districts in rural areas cover many miles. The idea is for it to be someone in a different unit so they have experience of different ideas and ways of doing things, and are detached from the personalities in the unit.

Tregi

Veteran (100+ posts)
Not in the same unit, yes. Not in the same District, no. Indeed geographically, it may be unrealistic to have someone outwith the District, as some Districts in rural areas cover many miles. The idea is for it to be someone in a different unit so they have experience of different ideas and ways of doing things, and are detached from the personalities in the unit.
Also so if there are any concerns noticed, either by the Mentor or Mentee, that they can be raised with the relevant people rather than it being a 'we've always done it that way' clique who are doing something wrong.

Pixielation

Brown Owl (x2)
As a new DC, I do tend to refer to my commissioner handbook regularly to check processes.

The full quote it is “Where possible, it is recommended that Mentors are not from the same district, so that new leaders can see how guiding is run in other areas, but it's not a requirement.”

So for me, that's the official suggestion. Not a requirement, and certainly best practise will come down to what works for a particular division due to logistics and geography. But that's what Girlguiding recommend.

The whole mentor system doesn't work in my experience. It often ends up being your unit leader, meaning you don't get a wider experience of other units/methods, or it is someone in the District who you met once that one time and never saw again...
It would be great if I could just speak to the unit leader, but unfortunately a couple of things I need to discuss are about her. For me it would be preferrable to speak to someone from another unit. I've badgered my DC about getting a mentor (she's well aware of unit issues as well), and we've got a district meeting this week so I can speak to her about it then.