• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

What do UH wear

donmor

Beginner (10+ posts)
unit helpers

Hi Stella
Unit helpers dont wear uniform at all they just wear normal clothes!.

Hope this helps
Donna

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hi Stella,

According to the Guiding Handbook:
"Unit helpers... do not make the Promise or wear uniform although they may wear branded items not in the uniform collection."

So I think it's up to you/your unit helper whether they wear the casual wear from the catologue or non-guiding clothing. Basically, anything goes, as long as it's suitable and not uniform.

Hope this helps,
Lynz

Hilzo42

Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
New adult wear is supposed to be coming out in the next few months to cover that very purpose.

this is what the GGUK site says about it:

"Why is there a second range of adult wear? Why can't all members wear the whole range?

The existing range of adult wear has been for those who have made the Promise and are under 65, in particular Leaders and Commissioners.
The new polo shirt and tie are being introduced so that other members can wear, should they wish, something which helps to distinguish them as members of Girlguiding UK. For example, those aged over 65 and / or have not made the Promise.
Through having a separate range of clothing and the planned Leadership Qualification badge, a Leader or Commissioner will be distinguishable from those with different roles in guiding. However, they will also be able to wear the new items if they wish. "

So I guess that will be an alternative to wearing your own clothes if you wanted. When it all comes out of course.

woodyowl

Forum Mod, Guide GIC, Rainbow GIC,
Staff member
GuiderPlus
they are in the new guiding and will be out at the end of the month
The polo shirt is dark blue. - I think only had a quick glance

Last edited:

woodyowl

Forum Mod, Guide GIC, Rainbow GIC,
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Tried to attach a picture from the guiding mag of poloshirt and new tie

jacki

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
so they will look exactly the same as the leaders ? and we can wear it too ? also no leadership qualification badge yet just a badge that any member can wear any one else see a flaw here ?

sliceofrice

Veteran (100+ posts)
I know the tee is suppose to be unisex but it doesn't flatter either the man or the lady...I don't think our unit helpers would want to wear it!
Yay for new SS hoodie! Gets nicer each time I look at it.

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
I know the tee is suppose to be unisex but it doesn't flatter either the man or the lady...
Anybody else find that the word "sainsbury's" comes to mind every time they look at the new polo? Or is that just me?:( You've got to admit it's very similar.....

Last edited:

sliceofrice

Veteran (100+ posts)
Wow! what style GGUK has...!
They really should start consulting their members about what we want, not just give us what they think....
That tie gets me wondering....a tie for a normal meeting would be impractical, and and you can just wear a normal tie for things like church parade....would any of your male members wear it? If we had any I don't think ours would!

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
More to the point, what are they supposed to wear it with... it doesn't exactly go with the polo shirt, does it. But if a unit helper wants to be wearing 'uniform' of some sort, surely the polo shirt is more obviously GGUK and 99 out of 100 will pick the polo shirt over the tie as they can't wear both....

The tie just seems like a really strange choice to me; if they only want to bring out two non-uniform items wouldn't a sweatshirt or fleece be so much more practical than a tie that no-one will wear.

As for the design of the polo, it really is like the sainsbury's one... the only thing missing is the logo! I certainly wouldn't pay that much to buy a shirt that looked like I'd just come from working Sainsbury's.

(I wanted to attach a pic of the sainsbury's one to illustrate my point but google image search failed me :( and I couldn't find one... anyone else got a picture....?)

Hilzo42

Staff member
GuiderPlus
what gets me is that the UH items don't feature Raspberry anywhere on it despite them having a raspberry badge tab to wear - yet we guiders are still lumbered with those pink stripy things!

(ok I'm not advocating the use of raspberry for UH here before Jim shoots me, but you get what I mean!)

jim

GuiderPlus
Tee shirt dont think iI would wear it looks pants to me and a for the tie would finish up being strangled with it only ever wore clip on ties as my ambulance uniform for Health and safety reasons so dont think Its practical
I will stick with my navy blue body warmer and badge tab I think

sliceofrice

Veteran (100+ posts)
Go Jim! It doesn't suit the man in the photo! Never mind a real person!
I think they should use you as an example for what to wear, navy blue body warmer sounds good to me and v practical!
I hope it is a phasing out of the raspberry. Why did they start using the raspberry? Is it because we are girls and all girls must like pink because we are girls and GGUK wants us to be more stereotypical, like the GFIs. They don't seem to have any that have really strong activites, just stuff like animals and fashion....whoop. Where is the rock climbing and mud....Im getting off of the point now! lol! I really should stop rambling!

jim

GuiderPlus
will try and photo my body warmer was only cheap but practicle pockets every where for holding peoples change f/aid stuff purses mobiles etc

Hilzo42

Staff member
GuiderPlus
I hope it is a phasing out of the raspberry. Why did they start using the raspberry? Is it because we are girls and all girls must like pink because we are girls and GGUK wants us to be more stereotypical, like the GFIs.
Erm, would we all be Guiders if we were as girly as GGUK seem to presume?
Surely some of the lure of Guiding when we were younger was the lack of 'girly' activities? And a definate lack of pink.

Why else are we all able to happily traipse round a field not caring that our hair hasn't been washed in days, have mud on our trousers & aren't bothered if we haven't got mascara on (if we even bother wearing it at all)?

I'm not saying that we're not feminine, not at all! But our interests in life do not solely consist of makeup, hairstyles & fashion. Which the GFI's aren't helping.