• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Your CV

Mythical

Regular (50+ posts)
When you're applying for a job, do you put your Guiding experience on your CV, and if so, where. (Sorry, I can't make "CV" come up in a search and I'm not sure how else to look for it)

I'm in the process of updating mine and I've realised that while I don't get paid for guiding, having been in charge of my unit for a year now, I have similar duties in my guide unit to what the shop manager has at work. I plan the year ahead, I budget, account, fundraise, delegate, project manage, time manage, stock control, I'm a first aider, I deal with customers, I lead a team of staff all with different skills and goals, I deal with reigonal management, I train people to do what I do and while I'm not the best guide leader in the world, I'm improving and I've actually gained as much, if not more from my year at Guides than I have at the last two years at my job.

I know technically, it's a hobby, and it's not directly related to my job (I'm a Graphic Designer, not looking to go into management.) but makes me so much more skilled, politically aware and hopefully more valuable than the hobbies I listed last time I updated. I feel I should make more of it on my CV.... but where does it go??

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
In jobs where it isn't so relevant, I put it in hobbies. On job application forms, where relevant I will use examples from Guiding in answering questions about demonstrating particular skills, alongside examples from my professional life.

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
I put it under other relevant experience when I submitted a CV recently for a promotion. I also spoke about Guiding a lot in my interview, and they referred to this under the positive aspects when giving me my feedback - they two managers who had interviewed me were not aware of how much I do, and the leadership experience I have with Guiding.

Oh, and I got the Team Leader position I had applied for :)

sallymoo1993

Guide Young Leader
I have a section of 'voluntary work' on my CV and put a summary of the sorts of things I do through Girlguiding, and include the LQ, first response etc. in the qualifications section. Like others have said, try and use examples from Girl Guiding in interview and application questions. I've had a few interviews where risk assessments have been involved, and I talk about the Girl Guiding matrix (which seems to be the general system anyway), and working under pressure- bad weather on camp, quick thinking about changing activity plans etc, or when a Guide is ill on holiday with you. Working on own initiative- you're in charge! and working as part of a team- leadership team, the role you each play and how you learn to work together, and even talk about team building activities you've run for the girls.

bubblesaus

Veteran (100+ posts)
I did this when I was re-doing (/really doing properly for the first time) my CV for a uni assignment.

Looking at the work experience I was putting down, Guiding really had given me so many more valuable skills and experiences then any of my past jobs had- it felt ridiculous! So I put it in under work history and put volunteer or unpaid next to it in brackets, and asked my lecturer, tutor and the careers advisor what they thought. Apparently it was a no-go, so it is the first thing I have under "Community Involvement", which comes directly after my employment history in my CV (my education is first, as a student/grad).

I have Guiding set out the same as all my paid positions are, with GGA as organisation, then my role (Leader of youth) and a dot point list of the most relevant experiences/responsibilities. Depending on what I'm applying for, I might also put other really significant roles under too (state council, acting region manager etc) with dot points under each.

I then have an "other" heading still in Community Involvement, which lists less helpful but still important things (being and Olave, state events I've run, non-guide involvement etc.). Then the next section is about other qualifications, workshops & experiences and just has a list (which includes a few guiding things like the WAGGGS E-Learning, a Guide training on managing difficult behaviour etc..)

chopperchick

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
To be honest, it really depends where on the scale your guiding experience fits into the rest of your experience and qualifications, in relation to what a future employer is looking for.

There's no denying we all do a bit of budgeting, project planning, super visions, leadership etc and can quote various examples of changing plans under pressure or the importance of following procedures in our guiding lives.
On a CV, and then in an interview however, I'd have said its crucial to get across the most relevant information about yourself. You've got limited space on a CV and time in an interview to sell yourself.
If the unit accounts budgeting experience is the best example you've got, the use it. If you've got an HND in accounting and several years under your belt as a book-keeper, then that's possibly more relevant.

Perhaps it's not the exact experience you want to sell either - perhaps you use e-learning modules as an example of personal commitment to study. Again, it's all relative - I'd probably look for a bit more if you were applying to do a MBA, but it might be perfect for your commitment to study for industry exams, for example.

I have mine in a section at the bottom called "Other Positions of Authority".
After I got my current job, I was actually told that my boss had seen Guiding on my CV and decided that I must be a reliable sort! :)
So, I'd say definitely worth slipping it in somewhere! :)

snowy91

Fully warranted Brownie Guider
Partly because my employment history is random my CV is skills based so I've added my skills i've gained from guiding amongst those bits. Also added my guiding achievements to an 'achievment' section at the bottom