1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Information: A Safe Space

Discussion in 'General Guiding' started by growlywench, Mar 24, 2015.

1. growlywench

growlywench Veteran (100+ posts)

So the newest update to the LQ, the compulsory introduction of A Safe Space training appears to have passed the forum and facebook by. From the website (and the LQ book).

Safeguarding

We are currently developing a new and improved suite of e-learning modules that will cover Safety and Safeguarding.

These modules will provide you with in-depth information on different aspects of Safety and Safeguarding. They will be a great source of information for all Leaders.

Please remember that from January 2015, as a requirement of the Leadership Qualification, all Leaders-in-training must attend A Safe Space training. This should be a face-to-face training but in exceptional circumstances the Leader-in-training can ask their Commissioner or Mentor for permission to complete the new e-learning modules instead. This option must only be considered where the Leader-in-training is not able to attend a face-to-face training.

2. culcheth1

culcheth1 Veteran (100+ posts)

has been mentioned in Guiding magazine and on few FB groups a few times - everyone should be getting organised with the training by now

fenris likes this.
  3. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I have made this thread a sticky so it doesn't get lost :)

4. Quack

Quack Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I think most regions are starting to roll out trainings now as it has taken a little while for trainers to be properly accredited to deliver it. If more information is needed I suggest you contact your County team.

5. Cazbly

Cazbly Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)

The e-learning is also in development, but not ready for release (as those of us who did testing can confirm).

6. growlywench

LOL, I know more than I would ever wish to about it, I posted this more as a Public Service Announcement for those who aren't aware, as there are many. The roll out has been about as efficient as the roll out of GO was (ahem).

7. Quack

Sorry growly didn't mean you, just anyone reading with further queries as the info is just being cascaded in many counties so arrangements for trainings will differ...

8. emmaluvseeyore

emmaluvseeyore Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant

Do you know if existing leaders need to do this course too? I did a Safe Space training in 2013 (as did most of my district), but we aren't sure if it is compulsory for us to do the new one.

9. Quack

Not yet, but as with the First Response, the expectation is that all leaders will ultimatly need to have covered this. I suggest that you and the others ensure it is noted on GO assuming your training meets the current requirements.

10. Brown9

Brown9 Regular (50+ posts)

We have been told that after the end of March all will have to do the training but our county won't be running them until September so we got our girls books in quickly - before the March date! They had advised that the leaders do the on-line training but as it has been said it isn't ready or on the website!

11. littlemadangel

littlemadangel Leader In Training

As a leader-in-training, I'm doing this training in May. I've heard that this one is for new leaders and leaders-in-training but it will be rolled out to all leaders eventually.

12. kingfisherblue

kingfisherblue Veteran (100+ posts)

I thought all new leaders had to a safeguarding training as part of the ALQ anyway - or have I misunderstood? I had to do this several years ago. In my area, new leaders also have to attend a Welcome to Guiding training and a First Response training. It has been this way for at least 15 years.

However, I do think that all leaders should update their safeguarding training every few years. Just one example of why - when I did mine, cyber-bullying wasn't common as many didn't have use of the internet. Also, Facebook hadn't been founded and social media wasn't a term we ever heard, but I think it is vital that leaders understand the need for caution (and I think that many do, but there are still others who don't).

13. Rosedust

Rosedust Beginner (10+ posts)

I am extensively child protection trained for work, up to level three if that means anything to anyone. I've completed the advanced life support group child protection in practise course in the last year (I'm a paediatrician.) Is there anyone out there who has similar training, and how much is the crossover with the child protection training required in leadership qualification? I suspect I've done it in more detail for work and do so every year, but there might be bits of GG training that is different. I do agree with kingfisher blue that it is something we have a responsibility to keep up to date on.

14. emmaluvseeyore

emmaluvseeyore Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant

The Girlguiding training is very specific to the rules of Girlguiding, but there will be a lot of crossover between the Safe Space course and what you have already done. I have done a lot of child protection training through my old job (playworker at a charity for disabled children), but the rules of that charity and Girlguiding did differ because of the nature of the work. I imagine that will be the same for you.

15. woodyowl

woodyowl Forum Mod, Guide GIC, Rainbow GIC, Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

IM a mentor to some ladies going through their LQ atm one is coming to the end... Does this mean they all need to do this or just the ones who started theirs since this date

16. Ezrekia

Ezrekia Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

This question came up at our Div meeting. Everyone who is currently working towards their LQ needs to to the safe space training, even if they've nearly finished it.

17. Susie2

Susie2 (Newbie)

I am a Safe Space trainer for North West England. Below is the latest information from HQ about compulsory participation on a Safe Space course. It is not their local Commissioner they contact but their Region Chief Commissioner. If they can prove exceptional circumstances for not attending they will still have to spend time doing the elearning followed by a telephone conversation with a Safe Space trainer which is expected to last 1.5 hours. Unfortunately even ladies who have done Safe Space with their Professional job roles will need to prove exceptional circumstances to Region Chief Commissioner, do elearning and have a very long phone call. May be easier just to attend a course.

Girlguiding has changed its policy on A Safe Space e-learning.

Leaders in Training now have to write to the Region Chief Commissioner, stating the exceptional circumstance which prevents them attending a face-to-face training, for her to give permission for them to complete the Safe Space e-learning.

18. growlywench

Indeed, the information has changed - my original post which you quote is over a year old - and happily they have tightened up - I do agree with it not being the local Commissioner who makes the decision, as those who don't value the training (and they do exist), would be a lot keener to allow people to 'just' do the e-learning. I would be interested to hear where the 1.5 hours phone call came from - it's certainly not that length where I'm A Safe Space Trainer, unless it needs to be.

I do agree it is easier to attend the course - probably takes less time!

I particularly like training Commissioners and those who have been in Guidng a long time - it's a very good opportunity to debunk myths and bylaws.

rugbynutter likes this.
  19. Quack

The only thing I would add to the above is that each County should have one individual to assess the cases for exemption to ensure the Region Chief 's are not inundated. This may be the County Commissioner or her nominee but they will speak to the individual and lay out the options and advantages etc before a situation is sent on to the Region Chief.

20. OrangeOwl

OrangeOwl Veteran (100+ posts)

The online training is good: some things are obvious, some not so much to someone in a division where such things are not particularly overt. I found it really useful and educational. As a trained guider I won't have access to face to face training for a while until the new leaders and older leaders have worked through the system in our county but it can't be anything but worthwhile, surely?