• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Accounting Years

caroline68

Regular (50+ posts)
Just wondering how your accounting years run and is there a Girlguiding rule or is it just up to districts, divisions or whatever?
I am just coming to the end of my second full year of Rainbow accounts, I am told I have to run accounts for a calendar year. However, it would be so much easier to run from Sept 1st to Aug 31st. At present I am struggling to get cheques signed and paid in and accounts sorted with all the rush of Christmas going on. I have money in for panto and such like, but not paid out yet, things seem to run over at this time of year.
The long summer holidays plus not meeting first and last week of the term means I'd have 8 weeks to tidy everything up and prepare accounts for checking.
What do others do?

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
Mine runs september to end august, in reality to the end of july, which allows time for them to be auditted while nothing or very little is happening financially. It works well for me, but I know others who do april to mach like the tax year and january to december. If you want to change the timing, simply submit them in the summer for the previous months then start again in september

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
The only thing you *have* to do us keep accounts (well, and get them checked by an independent person and send your D.C. a summary). Your year is up to you.

Tregi

Veteran (100+ posts)
The only thing to check is when you need to give them to whoever checks them. No reason not to, but polite to let them know you will be changing your year start.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Usually decided at County level, and it varies from County to County. For instance, in my area books are closed off at the end of June, which for us is at the end of summer term - means they can be done over the summer holidays when most units don't need access to them.

Tregi

Veteran (100+ posts)
Usually decided at County level, and it varies from County to County.
County's may advise this, but it is not a rule. The only rule is that they must be checked once a year. How each unit works out its year is up to the unit leader, making sure the district commissioner knows when and the person doing the verifying agree.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
County's may advise this, but it is not a rule. The only rule is that they must be checked once a year. How each unit works out its year is up to the unit leader, making sure the district commissioner knows when and the person doing the verifying agree.

In theory, yes. But we have to bear in mind that the laws on accounts vary around the UK, which can have implications if accounting years don't match within a County.

mogs79

Veteran (100+ posts)
Ours run January to December, but it seems everyone else in our Division/District runs with the academic year. If that's what suits you and it's okay with your auditor change. There is enough stress at this time of year without adding accounts into the muddle.