1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Question? Anyone know any halls sleeping up to 24 within walking distance of trains to London

Discussion in 'Hall Management' started by emalrola, Aug 29, 2013.

1. emalrola

emalrola Beginner (10+ posts)

Hi

I am trying to plan a weekend away where the guides can do the 'Laser London Challenge' However, I can't find a hall where we can WALK to the station every day to catch a train into London. Anywhere within an hours train journey would be fine!

Can anyone suggest anywhere...

Thanks

2. ElfOwl

ElfOwl Veteran (100+ posts)

Blackland Farm. Bus stop is outside the campsite and goes to the station where there is a train every 30 minutes. That is East Grinstead. Go the other way to Crawley (a bit longer journey) and there is a more frequent train service. Bus stops outside Three Bridges station and Crawley bus station (where the bus ends up) is across the road from the bus station (but Three Bridges is a better station as more trains stop there).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  3. Loopy

Loopy Veteran (100+ posts)

There's the Willow Tree Centre - sleeps 26 + leaders and you can walk to Ruislip underground. It's a lovely house but not cheap. Or you could try the South London Scout Centre at Dulwich - I've never stayed there, but heard it's good and very easy to get into London.

4. Lizzieloubee

Lizzieloubee Veteran (100+ posts)

St May Bredin Church in Canterbury is approved for sleeping in.

5. Hilary

Hilary Guide Guider and District Commissioner GuiderPlus

Chigwell Row? I'm pretty sure you can walk to the tube station and it has two pack holiday houses sleeping 24, or you could camp.

6. ann

ann Veteran (100+ posts)

Royal Greenwich Scouts have a number of halls. some that aren't far from stations, in particluar the Avery Hill centre is only 5 minutes walk from New Eltham Station and then 25 minutes to London:

http://www.scoutingingreenwich.org.uk/centres/

There are also other scout halls close by in the New Eltham area which can be used for overnights - the Avery Hill bookings person should be able to provide details if none of their centres are suitable

7. Penknife

Penknife Veteran (100+ posts)

8. 12thTawny

12thTawny Veteran (100+ posts)

I know it's Scouts, but what about Gilwell Park?

9. emmaluvseeyore

emmaluvseeyore Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant

Haslemere Guide HQ in Surrey is about 3 minutes walk from Haslemere station, which is on the mainline between Portsmouth and London Waterloo. Fast trains take about 50 mins I think.

Probably a bit further out than some other suggestions though.

10. Willow

Willow Veteran (100+ posts)

Heartsease in West Wickham - holiday house sleeping 24 + 2 YLs + 4 adults, train from West Wickham (15-20 minute walk) approx. 45 minutes into London Bridge / 50 min to London Waterloo.

Radcliffe in Croydon http://www.radcliffecroydon.co.uk/ - sleeps 24 + 4, train from East Croydon (about a 15-20 minute walk or short tram ride) to London Victoria takes 20 minutes.

11. Em_Oranges

Em_Oranges Veteran (100+ posts)

Or Baden Powell House? Thats pretty central and has dorms.

12. violet bow

violet bow (Newbie)

Burgess Hill Guide Hall (just been refurbished) is about 10min walk from main London to Brighton train line
    Contact -jowinchester@btinternet.com

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2016