1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone thinking about buying tickets for the olympics !!!?????

Discussion in 'Olympics 2012' started by brownowlbev, Mar 16, 2011.

Tags:
  1. brownowlbev

brownowlbev Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

Just got a brochure from the bank detailing all the olympic events along with application form for tickets. They have to be purchased by 26th April......
    Always promised my children we would go as it would be a 'once in a lifetime' chance but !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Gosh they are expensive and living in rural Norfolk would mean a journey or stop over and with 4 kiddies seems like it may be out of our reach...........:(

2. Tregi

Tregi Veteran (100+ posts)

look around for the none london ones. might be closer and cheaper.

3. Yorkielass

Yorkielass Brownie Guider and soon to be Guide GIC

the non-London ones are mainly football or sailing in Weymouth - the rest are in or very near London.

I really want to go and have family in and near London so the staying for a week and doing a few bits is possible but don't get me started on the application process, I think we're going to set a maximum budget, apply for things and then see what we get.

4. kathrynha

kathrynha Veteran (100+ posts)

Much too expensive for us. Would love to watch the gymnastics, but even if the tickets weren't too expensive, by the time you've added on transport and accommodation it would be miles too much.

Will just have to stick to watching it on TV

5. Yorkielass

I think it's going to be our holiday if we get to go - applying for £20 tickets, staying with relatives and will either try and get cheap train tickets or drive to relatives and get public transport in. There are only the 2 of us though - if we had chidren I don't think I would consider it as that would be too expensive.

6. emmaluvseeyore

emmaluvseeyore Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant

I am going to look at it. If you apply through the bank, you need to pay the full amount by cheque before hand, whereas if you do it online you pay when you get tickets. There was a good summary of how it all works on the BBC website yesterday; definitely worth a read.

I live near enough to London for it to be an ok commute. Don't know where I will be living next year though. My parents live about an hour out of London, so I would stay with them probably. I decided not to bother with the Opening ceremony as you will get a better picture of what is going on on the TV, although you don't get the atmosphere.

Think I am going to go to some of the more obscure events as they are cheaper!

7. sari

sari pre-warranted GiC Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

We want to go...my OH and youngest daughter are Judo players, so Judo is on our list! I like Gymnastics, and swimming, obviousyly, so does everyone else...I am also thinking about the less popular sports...but so expensive....

8. brownowlbev

brownowlbev Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

I agree with you all - their are 6 of us....4 kiddies and 2 adults - all would like to go and see something and we only have relatives/friends who live in or around Norfolk so no hope for 'cheaper' accomodation there.....
    We had always said we would try and go and the book from the bank is very good - it shows everything, everywhere and all the do's and don'ts......would probably apply on line but whatever I look at it is very expensive for a very short 'period' 6 x £20 for a 2 hour session without anything else will not be within my budget unfortunately. Will read the book again and give it more thought........but then who knows what will happen before next year !!!

9. bekky

bekky Guest

I thought that for under 16's you 'pay your age' for tickets? That would possibly make it cheaper.
    Does anyone know if Pax Lodge is booked up over that time, as that would be a good base for a night or two in London...

10. nikifm

nikifm Aka - Roly Mole and LaLa [=

We're looking at taking some of our Guides but they're gonna have to pay - as much as we'd love to pay we can't!
    http://www.london2012.com/visiting/tickets/
    Just looked on the website about applying etcc and it has a bit saying that any tickets will also recieve a Games Travelcard for that day meaning they can travel in zones 1-9 in London and some other places! Possibly helpful for some.

11. Smartie

Smartie Mod and wearer of many hats!! Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I would love to go for some of it, not sure I will be able to though :(

12. sari

sari pre-warranted GiC Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

We have decided we will go to the Paralympics, as the tickets will be cheaper, and the excitement just the same!!

13. ElfOwl

ElfOwl Veteran (100+ posts)

DD wants to go and originally we said we would, but the cost! We are lucky and are only an hour away by train, but money is tight right now. I have the marathon might be the best option.
    Excellent idea Sari about the Paralympics, might consider that too.

14. dollypip

dollypip Rach or Dolly i'll answer to anything...

I'm doing football at old Trafford :)

15. Cazbly

Cazbly Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)

Now that could be an idea!

16. jennthedeadfunkyranger

jennthedeadfunkyranger Guide Guider GuiderPlus

I want to apply, but I've also applied to be a games maker, adn I've not heard anything about that yet either

17. snowy91

snowy91 Fully warranted Brownie Guider

when are they on sale?

18. lovali

lovali (Newbie)

We've applied for tickets for the showjumping. My kids are mad on horses & have lessons every week so it was the only choice. I wanted to put us down for all the equestrian events but the thought of the cost if we got allocated tickets for all of them horrified me. I think they should have done it so that you could state your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices for events & how many events in total would be your maximum. Surely there is a computer that can work all that out these days.

19. Yorkielass

I agree lovali - that's the sort of thing I would have liked - I have 6 different sports that I want to see but I'm not that fussed which of the £20 ticket events I see in each one.

Paralympic tickets go on sale in September and I've already decided to try and go down to see something at least in that too - depending on how much of the Olympics tickets I get if we do apply for those. The dates of the Paralympics are 29 Aug-9 Sept 2012 so they do avoid my busy few weeks at work when the A level results come out rather nicely so I should be able to get down for something.

20. RainbowC

RainbowC Brownie Leader

Seriously?? We'd like to get along to something, but there's no way we're able to sort that out and book it right now! And just because Brownie no. 2 is into a particular sport right now doesn't mean she still will be by the summer next year, so we don't want to have had to commit 16 months in advance! :eek: