• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Assistant leader query

cazzaworld

Beginner (10+ posts)
Hi,

I currently have an update LQ in Rainbows for all four modules. I was hoping to become a Brownie leader aswell but I've been told I can only be an assistant leader due to my commitment to Rainbows. Is it possible to gain my LQ for Module 1 with Brownies as an assistant leader?

Cheers

JJJJ1980

Brownie Leader x 3
There is no central reason that you can't be a Leader with both sections, many people are. Someone may correct me shortly but I think it is down to your DC to approve roles based on what she feels is appropriate for you and the unit, it may be that she doesn't want you to take on too much and risk losing you, but only a conversation will shed light on her reasons. And yes, module 1 is concerned with programme so you should do that as a leader or an assistant leader with Brownies.

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Technically there's not really a 'Leader' and an 'Assistant' any more. Units should be run as a team and one Guider is nominated on Go to be the unit contact, which is where the letters, packs etc go. This can be the Guider with module 4 but doesn't have to be. AFAIK as long as someone in the unit has module 4 it doesn't matter.

missmuddle

Veteran (100+ posts)
Whether you are listed as Leader or Assistant Leader on Go should be down to the modules you hold. If you hold modules 1-4 you are leader, 1-3 assistant leader. You could have four adults listed as leader with a unit if they all have completed modules 1-4. One of them needs to be the main contact of the unit (person with the green tick on Go!)

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
Whether you are listed as Leader or Assistant Leader on Go should be down to the modules you hold. If you hold modules 1-4 you are leader, 1-3 assistant leader. You could have four adults listed as leader with a unit if they all have completed modules 1-4. One of them needs to be the main contact of the unit (person with the green tick on Go!)

Sorry this is wrong, the leader/assistant leader role depends on that leader. If you have module 4 you can be either or even a unit helper it is that persons choice how much they give to the unit.
I am a qualified Guide Leader yet I have chosen to be assistant leader for the Guide unit, I have dropped down from being leader in charge to do other roles.

I bought this up with GG as I am a county Go coordinator and had heard other coordinators changing roles depending on Module and GG confirmed that this should not be done. the decision is between DC and volunteer.

Hope that helps.

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
I agree with RMT. I am the leader at Rainbows and Brownies, but UH at Guides. I hold all four modules, and was originally a Guide guider. I've obviously undertaken additional training to complete Rainbows and Brownies modules as well.