• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Information: Baden Powell Adventure Weekends

Wren

Mod
Staff member
GuiderPlus
This is a thread for information regarding up and coming BP Adventures. If you could kindly keep from general chatting and ensure this is for general information it would make information easier to retrieve.

Also kindly remember this is a public forum so only basic information should be put on this thread and for further information people should be encouraged to PM each other. It would be a huge safety risk to publish exact date, time and locations of the adventures.

H

HH123

Are the prices on there like standard for most BP adventures? If so, may have a bit of a turn in the corner. :/

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
BP Adventure prices can vary a bit from place to place - it depends on what they offer in the way of activities and accommodation, and whether transport is provided, as these tend to be the big costs. In my County we ensure the price is kept below £65 and includes transport from a central location, we also try to make this clear at an early stage so girls who are working on BP can save up/fundraise if they wish. In some Districts/Divisions they offer financial support, we advisers offer information about fundraising options and encourage girls to consider the fundraising clause.

Smartie

Mod and wearer of many hats!!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I remember mine as a guide was £25! And I got a free trip to the hospital included!

The FIRST boat is full, with 10 days to go to the closing date. We are looking at running a 2nd boat now.

Its open to any BP Guide in ANY COUNTY within North West England Region.
Cost is £75.

I appreciate that costs can vary greatly depending on the type of adventure - to hire a narrowboat in high season for a weekend is £350 and the weekend includes their food and activities which we keep to a minimum as much as possible. I ran one in 2007 and the cost has only gone up £5 which I think is excellent.

We've had alot of interest in the weekend but we need confirmed replies now.

Please pm me or email me at golborne_brownies@msn.com - I now have a flyer for the adventure.

Cheers
Ally Whittaker

Last edited:

louise34dd

Veteran (100+ posts)
I have five spaces on a narrowboat for 29th-31st July 2011.
Its open to ANY BP guide in North West England Region.
Cost is £75.

I appreciate that costs can vary greatly depending on the type of adventure - to hire a narrowboat in high season for a weekend is £350 and the weekend includes their food and activities which we keep to a minimum as much as possible. I ran one in 2007 and the cost has only gone up £5 which I think is excellent.

We've had alot of interest in the weekend and we hope to offer an annual one next year as well - but with a bit more notice!

Please pm me or email me at golborne_brownies@msn.com - I now have a flyer for the adventure.

Cheers
Ally Whittaker
Hi, will you open it up to North East England of you have some spaces please?

Thanks
Louise

roving_guider

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'm doing one from Cambs East, headed across to Birmingham in a minibus 18-19th June . Might not be the easiest to add other counties to en route but open to requests sure we can sort the route to add pick up points, if you're closer to Brum you could meet us at that end (Solihull train station). At the moment I dont have enough girls to run it so might be cancellling if I've not up to the minimum number in a few days - week :(

YES ... ! email me if you have anyone interested. Sorry I was unable to help the guider you put me in touch with. ally x

We have two boats running now.
Just had a cancellation of a place due to family commitments. Would prefer a BP guide but if there is a YL doing QG and wants a taster please contact me.

Last edited:

dawn

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Looking for a BP Weekend for 2 Guides

Thank you to everyone who contacted me.

Last edited:

roving_guider

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'm just working on finalising a few things but am looking at running one in St Ives, Cambridgeshire the 1st weekend in November (sat/sun) and will be able to have enough to other counties, or even regions, PM me if you'd like me to send you details once I've got them.

dinoprincesschar

Veteran (100+ posts)
I have an issue with mine, i Shropshire were going to run two, in Sept and Oct and my girls were to go in Oct.
They have now changed to just running one due to less numbers and one of the girls can't do that date so all of them want to switch. They have been finished BP for a while now, and are just waiting for this. I'm quite annoyed, with the organisation and with them, but trying to find one near-ish to Shropshire, which is before Xmas.

roving_guider

Veteran (100+ posts)
I have an issue with mine, i Shropshire were going to run two, in Sept and Oct and my girls were to go in Oct.
They have now changed to just running one due to less numbers and one of the girls can't do that date so all of them want to switch. They have been finished BP for a while now, and are just waiting for this. I'm quite annoyed, with the organisation and with them, but trying to find one near-ish to Shropshire, which is before Xmas.
Sorry to hear you've got issues with adventures you thought were sorted but feel i have to add something from the side of people organising BP adventures. I dont know how many girls you have but a lot of adventures will limit the number attending from each unit, speaking from expereince the girls get a lot more out of it when they dont know many people there.

I'm a little surprised your county organised 2 just a month apart, not sure why this would be unless they thought they'd have huge demand which then hasn't appeared. I've tried to organise one a term since taking over as Guide advisor for my county, looking at the number of girls I've got registered and when they've advised they'll be ready for their adventure however this still isnt an exact science. This year I'd organised an adventure for the summer term which i had to cancel completely due to lack of numbers and last year chose a venue which could take a larger number of girls as i had a lot registered and ended up with a small number - most of which were from outside my own county. Safe to say i wont be even thinking of planning anything in the summer term next year - i think it's just too busy for the girls, but a shame for those who'd like to complete their BP before the end of the school year, esp to move up to SS.

I have a considerable number of girls on my list who apparently will be ready for adventures so I've planned the autumn term one with the capacity to take more whilst making sure i can run it on budget on less - not an easy feat! There's a chance i might have to turn some away esp with a number of girls from the same unit but based on the last 2 years of experience even though they are registered I dont expect to have to turn any/many away.

Rach83

Veteran (100+ posts)
I am the bp co-ordinator for shropshire and feel i need to post here in my defence. i only took over in march and when i emailed all guiders in the county to ask how many girls they had who would be finished bp by the end of this school year i had 90 girls put forward. therefore there was no way of running one adventure for all those girls. therefore 2 needed to be put on but it was unfair to have a large gap between them so it was decided to split the girls onto 2 adventure a couple of weeks apart so that no one felt they were being punished having to wait for the second adventure. that is why one was organised for september and one for october, the venue was booked staff put in place and plans made. The letters went out to the girls giving them details and the deadline of the last day of term 22nd july as the day by which they had to send back their forms to secure their place.

22nd of july came and 29 girls sent back forms! what was i meant to do? as the majority of the girls who sent back forms were for the september adventure we decided that we would combine the girls onto one as it would provide the girls with the most opportunity to mix with other guides from the county. everyone on the october adventure was emailed or rung about this change but only 4 people came back with a response after 2 weeks. In the meantime i had one guider send back 6 forms and we are now up to 44 girls.

I have tried my best to accommodate all the guides who needed an adventure in the county and tired to make sure that no one would have to wait longer than necessary for their adventure. I have not had any response from anybody saying they coundnt make the change of date so how am i meant to know?

I feel if you had a problem with the way i had organised things it would have been better to contact me personally rather than post on an open forum.

I am now seriously considering resigning from my position after the adventure, as it appears nothing i do is satisfactorary.