• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Information: Baden Powell Adventure Weekends

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I am now seriously considering resigning from my position after the adventure, as it appears nothing i do is satisfactorary.
I am on the team who organise adventures in my County - and despite our efforts in planning we fail to please all the people all the time. We organise 2 Adventures a year, and link with a neighbouring county to offer places at another two on separate months (not to mention any at Netherurd which is within travelling distance) - yet there are still some girls who cannot make the dates, want to go on an Adventure to a tight deadline and complain that there isn't one in the next fortnight, etc.

We try to set deadlines in order to avoid last minute panics - last time the health form deadline was over a week before the event - but by that time fewer than half the health forms had arrived, and despite time spent on the phone chasing up over 20 of them, by two days later we still had under 2/3. It can be really thankless.

What keeps us going - is the girls. They are the success stories, the girls who have worked hard to achieve things, they are quite possibly the future of Guiding. We go through all the hassle for them, because we think they're worth it.

roving_guider

Veteran (100+ posts)
I am the bp co-ordinator for shropshire and feel i need to post here in my defence. i only took over in march and when i emailed all guiders in the county to ask how many girls they had who would be finished bp by the end of this school year i had 90 girls put forward. therefore there was no way of running one adventure for all those girls. therefore 2 needed to be put on but it was unfair to have a large gap between them so it was decided to split the girls onto 2 adventure a couple of weeks apart so that no one felt they were being punished having to wait for the second adventure. that is why one was organised for september and one for october, the venue was booked staff put in place and plans made. The letters went out to the girls giving them details and the deadline of the last day of term 22nd july as the day by which they had to send back their forms to secure their place.

22nd of july came and 29 girls sent back forms! what was i meant to do? as the majority of the girls who sent back forms were for the september adventure we decided that we would combine the girls onto one as it would provide the girls with the most opportunity to mix with other guides from the county. everyone on the october adventure was emailed or rung about this change but only 4 people came back with a response after 2 weeks. In the meantime i had one guider send back 6 forms and we are now up to 44 girls.

I have tried my best to accommodate all the guides who needed an adventure in the county and tired to make sure that no one would have to wait longer than necessary for their adventure. I have not had any response from anybody saying they coundnt make the change of date so how am i meant to know?

I feel if you had a problem with the way i had organised things it would have been better to contact me personally rather than post on an open forum.

I am now seriously considering resigning from my position after the adventure, as it appears nothing i do is satisfactorary.
Hi Rach, please dont lose heart! As fenris says you'll never please all of the people all of the time.

Remember you are offering the girls a fantastic experience, well done you for being willing to organise and give up 2 weekends for these girls but given the difference in numbers expected vs actual no one would expect you to run 2 weekends so close together. In my experience you'll get forms/enquiries right up to the last minute but same as you would do for an event for your unit you have to work out what works best for everyone, no sake in cramming girls in if it's harder to run and they'll get less out of it. You gave a reasonable deadline and made judgements accordingly, those you cannot accomodate this time will have to wait or find alternatives.

It seems that gaps between bp advisors is common and while i can appreciate Guiders and girls frustrations if there havent been local adventures there are always other options for them and you have to be realistic about what you can do which is probably in addition to your other Guiding roles/duties!

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
I have an issue with mine, i Shropshire were going to run two, in Sept and Oct and my girls were to go in Oct.
They have now changed to just running one due to less numbers and one of the girls can't do that date so all of them want to switch. They have been finished BP for a while now, and are just waiting for this. I'm quite annoyed, with the organisation and with them, but trying to find one near-ish to Shropshire, which is before Xmas.
There are two in powys, Sept and Dec. One at Bron one by Radnorshire. Dont know if full have give links to one person pm me if you would like them.

Powys is a neighbour county (has three guiding counties in) though is in Wales

I think we have to remember that everything we do is voluntary and I think the correct way forward on this one would have been personal contact and not public criticism of someone who does a very good job at everyhting she does in guiding.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Does anyone know whether this has any spaces? I never got any info about this even though I am in north east england
Give NEE HQ a call they should be able to tell you. They are back open now....
You need to keep an eye on their website as info coming down through the channels gets filtered or mislaid.

dinoprincesschar

Veteran (100+ posts)
Rach83 - Please be aware that the reason I posted on this thread was to ask for information regarding other BP adventures, not to criticise anybody organising. Yes, I am frustrated, mainly with my girls for deciding that none of them want to go without the one who can't make it, and therefore expecting me to find them another adventure opportunity at such short notice! They are already overdue to move up to SS and I can't keep them much longer due to our waiting list.
I will also point out that I emailed two wks ago regarding this issue, as soon as I was made aware (through one of my girls rather than a direct email) of the date change, and as yet have recd no response, hence my post here to enquire about other opportunities. My apologies if my post had been taken the wrong way.

RMT - Thank you for the info, I shall PM you now.

Rach83

Veteran (100+ posts)
dinoprincesschar i have pm'd you as i havent received any emails form girls or parents over a problem with the change of date.

dawn

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I am in West Mercia and have 2 Guides whose BP Challenge got cancelled due to the riots in London. Is anyone aware of a BP challenge in the next few months. They can't attend West Mercia due to a school activity clash.

Thanks
Thank you for all your help. We have the 2 Guides going to Bron in December

louise34dd

Veteran (100+ posts)
I am in West Mercia and have 2 Guides whose BP Challenge got cancelled due to the riots in London. Is anyone aware of a BP challenge in the next few months. They can't attend West Mercia due to a school activity clash.

Thanks
NEE have one with spaces. Message me for info. It is the same weekend as Big Gig and includes Big Gig. x

jayjay

Guide and Ranger Guider
Does anyone know of any BP adventures that girls from Shrewsbury area could get to in the next few months? After a summer full of family issues and therefore very little guiding, I missed the invite to the Shropshire county events and and now looking for events for 4 girls to attend.

roving_guider

Veteran (100+ posts)
Not in the north but Cambs East have one in November (5th-6th) which has a couple of spaces left at, and Cambs West have one in December (10th-11th) - not sure about spaces as I'm not running that one. But PM me if you want details and I can send them on.

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
Does anyone know of any BP adventures that girls from Shrewsbury area could get to in the next few months? After a summer full of family issues and therefore very little guiding, I missed the invite to the Shropshire county events and and now looking for events for 4 girls to attend.
Wales have one in Dec, will find correct page and pm you, Not sure if fully booked yet, and think its at bron (not far from shrews

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
I think the one in Bron is still available, there wasn't much interest at all in it and they were asking girls who were booked onto other weekends to change!

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
I couldn't really find any info for the bron one only dates, and i dont think was very well advertised, wasn't on welsh site as far as i could see.

I am looking for a BP Weekend in the North West, North East and possibly Scotland for 4 girls in January/February 2012. We also have 6 girls who will be ready in April-ish time and 5 girls starting in January.