• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? badge confusion!

rugbynutter

Rainbow Guider & Ranger
GuiderPlus
I know a number of Guiders who wear the old-style promise badges as these were the badges they were given when enrolled but these should not be worn on uniform, only the latest promise badge should be worn.
In many cases this would be their 'latest promise badge' as it's the one they earned, they would not buy a new one to replace it just because the design changed!

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
The wording was always subject to a large degree of pedancy, since anything that could legitimitely worn to both guiding and non-guiding events effectively becomes a "uniform" for that period.

Also don't forget the official advice given via mailings, magazine and website which extended the period the centenary polo and necker could be worn for until October/November 2011 - that advice superceded the trading catalogue advice.
I though all the girls' clothing is divided into "Section wear" and "Fun wear" or similar now anyway. So "section wear" = uniform.

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
In many cases this would be their 'latest promise badge' as it's the one they earned, they would not buy a new one to replace it just because the design changed!
I agree - I've got the current design badge but the one with the previous trefoil as that was the one that was in use when I made my promise as an adult. To get a new style one wouldn't have the same meaning as it's not the one I got when making my promise.

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I agree - I've got the current design badge but the one with the previous trefoil as that was the one that was in use when I made my promise as an adult. To get a new style one wouldn't have the same meaning as it's not the one I got when making my promise.
Yep I'm the same. All my other promise badges were the previous (pre-1994) Trefoil, but my Adult badge is the round design with the previous rounded trefoil. I wouldn't want a newer one (even though I really like the design of it) as it's just not the same. If I ever lost mine I'd hunt around for the previous one.

TJ.

Wonder Woman In Training
I seem to remember reading somewhere, and perhaps Cazbly or someone else can clarify this, that if you were enrolled and made your promise for the first time on 20:10, 20.10, 2010 you can continue to wear the centenary promise badge indefinitely! Elsewhere it says until the girl moves to the next section which, in the case of Guides and Senior Section, could be for a fair number of years! But there again, I know of a number of Guiders who wear the old-style promise badges as these were the badges they were given when enrolled but these should not be worn on uniform, only the latest promise badge should be worn.

I have just been on the GGUK website and can no longer find anything relating to this subject to confirm the above or otherwise!

Interesting debate!
Oooh, I hope this is true! It would mean I could always wear my centenary one, as I first made my promise as a leader at Vision! Maybe I should use that argument anyway, if anyone asks me to remove it! Like Jenn says, my other badge doesn't hold the same meaning.

Brandie

Veteran (100+ posts)
That's interesting! So does that mean I can keep my 2010 promise badge on only in rainbows but not brownies??
I'm with you Snowy Pink Owl :)

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I seem to remember reading somewhere, and perhaps Cazbly or someone else can clarify this, that if you were enrolled and made your promise for the first time on 20:10, 20.10, 2010 you can continue to wear the centenary promise badge indefinitely! Elsewhere it says until the girl moves to the next section which, in the case of Guides and Senior Section, could be for a fair number of years!
I don't think so, I think that no matter what, the Centenary Promise Badges are worn until the end of 2012, or until a girl makes her Promise as a member of the next section. I don't *think* there was anywhere that said that if a girl made her promise for the first time that the Centenary Badge is the only one a girl can wear. I had a Guide make her Promise at Vision, and she got 2 Promise badges, the Centenary one, and the Guide one.

Brandie

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thinking about it KatieW 2 of my daughters got their centenary & respective Rainbow/Guide promise badges at vision

there are 4 centenary promise badges in m house, caused a bit of confusion to start with :p

Cazbly

Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)
No, everybody ceases to wear the centenary promise badge at the end of 2012 - regardless of whether or not they made their promise for the first time that night.

However, consider whether you regularly wear a fleece or other jacket to meetings etc - move your centenary promise badge to the collar of that instead!

I actually do believe that people should wear the correct badges on their tab and wear others elsewhere - we see threads complaining about how scruffy we look and if we want to be taken seriously as a uniformed organisation, as leaders, we should actually be setting the example.

TJ.

Wonder Woman In Training
No, everybody ceases to wear the centenary promise badge at the end of 2012 - regardless of whether or not they made their promise for the first time that night.

However, consider whether you regularly wear a fleece or other jacket to meetings etc - move your centenary promise badge to the collar of that instead!

I actually do believe that people should wear the correct badges on their tab and wear others elsewhere - we see threads complaining about how scruffy we look and if we want to be taken seriously as a uniformed organisation, as leaders, we should actually be setting the example.
Thanks for clarifying, the great fountain of knowledge! I thought this might be the case, seeing as it's not something I had seen anywhere, but it's a shame.

See, I find the whole thing about badge tabs quite interesting, because there are plenty of leaders around who wear non-official badges etc on their badge tabs and this is deemed okay (though it may technically not be). So if it is fine to have random pins on there, then why can we not have other badges that have a "shelf-life"? It's all very odd!

I agree with leading by example, but I don't see the problem with an extra badge on a tab. Does that really contribute to us looking "scruffy"? The amount of badges my girls shouldn't be wearing on their uniform and do...!

Not attacking you, just playing devil's advocate and musing aloud.

Brandie

Veteran (100+ posts)
MMm TJ I wonder myself as I only had my promise badge & Wales badge on my tab then got Adventure 100 & Big Brownie takeover pins I was wearing my centenary badge with my caterpillar for Rainbows pinning them to the reinforced bit of my top as I haven't got a badge tab for that section & my tab (as it's a Brownie Guider tab) to Brownies
It was my DD who very kindly fit all my badges on & I've never had anyone complain I actually think they look better on tabs than on collars maybe we should ask GGUK to let us have a tab just for our extra badges!

ElfOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
My centenary promise badge isn't on my badge tab for the simple reason the pin bent while trying to pin it on 'the night'. It lives on my fleece beside my badge tab instead. DD doesn't wear hres as she was told off by her guider for wearing it - couldn't wear section promise and centenary promise at the same time. Now I know that is not true and I looked out the evidence, but rather than DD get told off, she has hers ona GGUK cushion with all her other guiding (and other) pin badges.

Crafty Owl

Currently doing my ALQ
I for one will not be telling anyof my girls to remove or stop wearing badges, if they turn up every week in uniform and wearing a sash proudly covered in badges then carry on. Similarly I have given out "fun" badges and of course they all want to display them on their sash, good on you girls.