• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Badge Tabs - FAQ & post your piccies!

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Some of us do not have ALQ badges .......... we are too old and would have to leave/come back and requalify to get them :(
Are you sure? My BO at home was given one a couple of years ago at a division meeting, with a whole load of the more 'senior' faces around the table, I know for a fact she's been doing Brownies continuously since before I was born! (she's in her late 50s-early60s)

Cazbly

Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)
Are you sure? My BO at home was given one a couple of years ago at a division meeting, with a whole load of the more 'senior' faces around the table, I know for a fact she's been doing Brownies continuously since before I was born! (she's in her late 50s-early60s)
She was lucky then - your local area must have decided to fund them. Technically, no, us oldies should not get them unless we go through the scheme again.

ElfOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Some of us do not have ALQ badges .......... we are too old and would have to leave/come back and requalify to get them :(
When they came out, the county I was with allowed existing leaders to buy them for a limited time. I had thought that was a national offer but obviously not. I have heard of someone who did get one after the 'time limit'. It's a bit hideous and mine isn't allopwed on my badge tab but gets pinned to my fleece - I have much nicer badgs for my tab.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Our County provided them for all leaders after someone complained there was no recognition for 'existing' leaders. Personally, I don't wear mine, I prefer the 'bar' type of awards which show what you've earned or are qualified for and fit neatly on the tab.

Hilzo42

Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
She was lucky then - your local area must have decided to fund them. Technically, no, us oldies should not get them unless we go through the scheme again.
If I remember right, I just bought my own!

I'm sure in either Guiding Mag or Guiding Essentials it was stated that existing leaders were perfectly entitled to buy one for themselves - just those new/working on the scheme would have one bought by Counties for completing the ALQ. (though some areas may have decided to fund them for other leaders but that's up to them).

Not that I wear mine on my tab, too big and I haven't space, but I have one nonetheless. Doing Module One for another section should also award you with the LQ badge, even if you've already done the rest of the qualification before too (I'd presume the same if you only did Modules 1-3 and subsequently Module 4).

scotchmi5t

Veteran (100+ posts)
I wore my ALQ badge despite it being big and clunky, because it shows I've achieved something. That's why I wear it along with my B-P award and Commonwealth Award.

Here's my tab:
View attachment 12530

It's pretty bare right now; there's my Senior Section/Young Leader promise badge, my county badge and a Thumper badge (my Rainbow name) that a leader gave to me when I helped at her pack holiday. I've almost finished my YLQ so I should be getting that badge soon, I've also almost finished my Chief Guide Award (I had finished it but my computer deleted EVERYTHING) and I've almost earnt my In4mer badge!

This may be a stupid question but I got the centenery promise badge when I was a guide, can I still wear it now that I'm in SS?

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
The attachment doesn't work, you'll need to try it again!
This may be a stupid question but I got the centenery promise badge when I was a guide, can I still wear it now that I'm in SS?
No you can't. It was to be worn until the end of 2012 or until a girl makes/renews her Promise in the next section.

Lette

Guide Guider & Senior Section Member
I really want to get my 5 year service badge before I go to Roverway, knowing I'm owed it makes me want it more. Unlikely to happen as DivC is having some time off at the moment.

heres my badge tab
Once the big brownie birthdays done my alq will go back on.

can anyone tell me what era my promise badge is from ? the only reason I ask is that I have always used it since I as a guide but I know it belonged to either my mom or gran beforehand and now I can't remember which one as I have a shocking memory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cazbly

Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)
heres my badge tab
Once the big brownie birthdays done my alq will go back on.

can anyone tell me what era my promise badge is from ? the only reason I ask is that I have always used it since I as a guide but I know it belonged to either my mom or gran beforehand and now I can't remember which one as I have a shocking memory

1933 - 1968 for that style.... you can now work out how that ties in with their ages...........

Ok major issue I can't fit anymore badges on my badge tab and I'm worried I'm gonna loose my Bp badge if I don't get it back on soon but I can't fit it on what should I take off the above pic to make it fit????

Orly

Veteran (100+ posts)
Ok major issue I can't fit anymore badges on my badge tab and I'm worried I'm gonna loose my Bp badge if I don't get it back on soon but I can't fit it on what should I take off the above pic to make it fit????

Well, if you've got your 20 year bar, you don't really need your white bar. I personally also put unearned badges (like the county badge & world badge) to one side in place of earned badges like the QG.

ETA: And if you choose only one residential qualification badge, that should also give you some more room