1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Question? Best guests you have had visit your unit?

Discussion in 'Girlguiding Anglia' started by JJJJ1980, Nov 6, 2014.

1. JJJJ1980

JJJJ1980 Brownie Leader x 3

Hello,

I am looking for inspiration for next term. As our unit has grown and parents have got better at paying subs we have a little bit of money in the bank. We are low on adults so would like to spend some of this money on getting people to visit us rather than splash out on trips that we would struggle to get adults for. What are the best visitors, workshops, entertainers etc you have had. We are mid suffolk.

Thanks

2. sandra 100

sandra 100 Veteran (100+ posts)

we have had guide dogs into visit also someone from coastwatch at Christmas we are having two ladies in to do Christmas crafts we are not in Anglia though

3. bubblesaus

bubblesaus Veteran (100+ posts)

Our best visitor was the local wildlife rehab centre... Yes, there were kangaroo joeys in little pouches, a Tawny frogmouth owl, and an echidna running freely around our Guide hall!

Unfortunately I'm not sure their "Education for Conservation" van would make it all the way to Suffolk....

4. ker-stee

ker-stee SGP Enthusiast GuiderPlus

We've had a number (most of which have been free/a little donation)

Street dance instructor from a local theatre school (free- they just asked to give out leaflets at the end)

Hedgehog rescue service (donation & they bring a little shop)

Puppet workshop (this is something the minister at the church we meet at does for a hobby, so free!)

First Aid (we know a paramedic so free!)

Currently got a lady from healthy eating service coming in for 4 weeks cooking with a different group each week. (Just costing us ingredients!)

5. shackademus

shackademus Veteran (100+ posts)

a lady came and did yoga, i contacted her through 'yogabugs' to make sure she would do appropriate level for brownies

someone from hearing dogs for the deaf if your girls are happy to sit and listen for half hour

6. Gwenel

Gwenel Beginner (10+ posts)

A visit by the local police officer was very popular with our Brownies. She chatted to them about keeping safe while out and about walking and on their bikes and then let them try on handcuffs. They also explored her police van and it was their unusual place to have a cup of tea for the Big Brownie Birthday Challenge.

7. icedbluepixie

icedbluepixie Beginner (10+ posts)

This term we had the mini zoo come to visit, a bit of a cost but entirely worth it. They brought around 12 different animals, including a baby owl, meercat, snake, fruit bat, and armadillo (!!) - there was quite a large variety! The gent who ran the session was enthusiastic and really engaged the girls, plus each Brownie got to hold an animal at least twice. I've never seen our lot act so well behaved in an attempt to be chosen to hold the next animal lol.
    The website is http://charlesanimalencounters.co.uk/ and they seem to do the Suffolk area.

8. guidingbear

guidingbear Assistant guide guider

Banham zoo have an outreach program that's both very good and very cheap (or I thought so!)

9. snowyjess

snowyjess Veteran (100+ posts)

We haven't had a lot of people really we had a lady come in and do Cheerleading which was really good and we had a friend of mine who does Karate came and did a self defence night. After Christmas we have some dentistry students from a local university are coming to do a session :)

10. FPG

FPG Veteran (100+ posts)

I am intrigued, what are the dentistry students going to do?

11. ker-stee

ker-stee SGP Enthusiast GuiderPlus

Oral hygiene? Brushing teeth properly I imagine

12. JJJJ1980

Thanks ladies, so far I have sent enquiries to a dance academy and hearing dogs. I tried Charles animal encounters but it is £310 for an hour which a bit too much and Banham don't run workshops in the evening. Might try Kimmy's zoo next.
    Anyone had an success with any music based activities?

13. fruityloop92

fruityloop92 Veteran (100+ posts)

I can recommend Shooting Stars Circus Skills workshop the girls loved that.

We have had a music based workshop that was really good, it is just one guy on his own rather than a company, but he did lots of drumming and got them to make up a song and recorded it so the girls could hear it back. PM me if you'd like his contact details

x

14. snowyjess

snowyjess Veteran (100+ posts)

The dentisty students run a programme called Brush Up. It's like oral hygiene but in a fun way games, activities and chances to win prizes (toothbrushes etc) we haven't had them in yet but will let you know how it goes.
    Didn't mention it before but for November time (bit late this year) we had someone come in and teach them about countries that need shoeboxes and why we send them. I was surprised but the girls loved it and we followed up with making shoeboxes in sixes the next week.

15. FPG

FPG Veteran (100+ posts)

As in a la Operation Christmas Child or actual shoeboxes in and of themselves?

16. Maid of Kent

Maid of Kent Beginner (10+ posts)

I had 2 members of a band come in and play for the girls. They also taught them how to play the guitar.

17. Orly

Orly Veteran (100+ posts)

One of the best Guide meetings we had was inviting an actor friend of ours to talk to the girls as part of their Film Lover badge. He showed them clips from a couple of films he'd done and explained what was going on behind the scenes.

18. Rainbow Sunny

Rainbow Sunny Regular (50+ posts)

we had a visit form Blue Cross who brought along two rescue dogs, plus lots of stickers for the girls, we gave him a small donation

19. JJJJ1980

So far we have had a dance instructor who was great with them. The local Owl Sanctuary and Hearing Dogs have brought animals in and given talks. We have a vet nurse and hedgehog rescue in after half term.

20. Betty Brownie

Betty Brownie Brownie Guider

We had a brilliant meeting when an Indian restaurant came to visit us. They were a very 'authentic' restaurant and cooked very traditional dishes, not what you would usually expect from an Indian takeaway for example. They brought lots of things for the girls to try, including sauces, dips, poppadoms and sweets and made them mango and coconut smoothies and were very good at explaining the food to the girls and showing them how it was prepared. It cost us about £40 I think - an absolute steal. This particular restaurant ran an education programme which is how I'd heard of them. Not sure I would have thought of it otherwise!

Also, there are often Guiders within your county who offer special skills, for example I know in our county we have a Guider who does African Drumming and one who does Yoga.