• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Big Gig 2014

alexp44

Guide Guider, Div Media Advisor + Ranger
Seems to have some good ones at the moment...
Alas, because I don't watch x factor or Britain's got talent which it appears all these acts have appeared from I'm at a total loss.
Even our Guides haven't heard of Mike Dignam (?). I've at least heard of Diversity and the guides seem to know the others.

exile

Veteran (100+ posts)
One of the guide groups in my district have a load of tickets - there were 12 yesterday - to sell on. Mis communication and lack of deposits.

Anyone want tickets for themselves or a group?

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
I think this every single year, but haven't ever said anything about it before. Do you think the system for allocating tickets is working? Everyone always has tickets for sale at the last minute, but you have disappointed girls in units that didn't get tickets and can't organise things at the last minute. Because it is a ballot for tickets, I think people just guess how many they are going to need because they don't want to get their girls' hopes up, but then they can't always fill the spaces if they do get tickets. That then means that tickets are wasted because people can't sell them at the last minute, meaning girls can't attend that could have under a different system.

Maybe Girlguiding need to come up with another way of doing it. I can't think of another system offhand, but something involving a waiting list might be good. One of the other problems with people trying to sell tickets is that it often involves small numbers that have to sit in allocated seats. So if a unit is looking for 20 tickets, they can't necessarily have girls sitting all over the arena by buying 5 or so tickets from different people. Maybe if units can adjust their numbers after being allocated a certain number of tickets, then CHQ can work out the seating system after offering spare tickets to other people. So if you have 4 groups that all reduce their numbers by 5, and a unit on the waiting list need 20 seats, then CHQ can rejig the seating so they can all sit together. I don't really know how that work, but I think something needs to be done.

We bought 8 tickets for the evening show after it was announced there were spares left, and we have had to scrabble around trying to fill them from our local Guide unit after only 4 out of our 8 Rangers could come. Now got 2 Guides who are daughters of Guide leaders coming, but it has been stressful!

Smartie

Mod and wearer of many hats!!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
As a unit with the system now we insist on deposits to cover ticket cost before closing date for ballot, then we only order for the number of deposits we have. We have only had a spare ticket once, which was when a guide ended up in hospital and so couldn't come.

I personally don't like districts/divisions, even units ordering and then hoping to fill places. This is when you end up with lots of odd spare tickets, when prepared units could otherwise go! Maybe if you could only apply as a unit it would help a little?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

senry

Veteran (100+ posts)
As a unit with the system now we insist on deposits to cover ticket cost before closing date for ballot, then we only order for the number of deposits we have. We have only had a spare ticket once, which was when a guide ended up in hospital and so couldn't come.

I personally don't like districts/divisions, even units ordering and then hoping to fill places. This is when you end up with lots of odd spare tickets, when prepared units could otherwise go! Maybe if you could only apply as a unit it would help a little?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
This is how we do it too. We also have the parents sign to say they are commuting to paying for transport, as due to trains we book that later.

It's the fairest way to do it and it means the unit isn't left without funds.

exile

Veteran (100+ posts)
ladies - I agree totally. The unit leader in question was doing this for the first time and she has learned lots and lots and lots.

However, if you fancy a ticket or 10 then Exile-the reluctant tout-the dedicated DC can arrange :)

exile

Veteran (100+ posts)
realistically I've bought several tickets this year. And for one of them (R2 Festival in a day)it was phoning up on the day the booking opened and waiting and waiting and doing it. I know it's hard for V to do work time stuff but perhaps this is one of those times where it'd be much easier to know instantly with cheques in hand etc.

*gwen*

GIC Guide/SS
GuiderPlus
We ask for full cost of ticket upfront before making an order. We dont have the money in the account to pay for tickets before money comes in. We then only order tickets for the number of girls who brought money in. We then charge for transport nearer the time.

It does however mean girls who start after we ask for money miss out, which I am finding now.

I would love to buy a few extra tickets for the few who have asked at this late stage but I dont have a leader who could sit with them, and have had no luck with parents (i did ask)

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
We weren't able to enter into the original ballot as our unit had only been open a week before the deadline. When we heard there were tickets for sale (which was during the school holidays) we decided to book 8 tickets which would allow for our 2 leaders and 6 of the then 10 Rangers to come, which we thought was achievable. 2 of the girls decided they were too busy to come to Rangers in September, so we are down to 8, and unfortunately 4 of them have other plans that day (1 couldn't get time off work). We would never have got money in for them over the holidays - we have only just managed to get money in from them now it is term time (teenagers are a right pain!!).

I don't think the system is too bad for this as you are only asking for money in around 3 months before the event. However other national events require booking and paying deposits a long time before the event. We did a BBB World Centres event with our Brownies that required booking places and paying a £20 deposit per child in February 2013, the final payment in October 2013, and the event wasn't until March 2014. Some of the Brownies we took weren't even a Brownie in Feb 2013!!! We ended up losing quite a bit of money for that because we couldn't fill the spaces we booked, even after opening it up to 4 other units in the district. But it wasn't really possible to get deposits in before booking as many of the current Brownies at the time were going to be in Guides by the time the event happened. I really don't understand why they needed the bookings over a year before the event, but hey ho.

*gwen*

GIC Guide/SS
GuiderPlus
Gwen, I am surplus to ratio so could sit with your girls. we are going from Bagshot so pretty close to you guys
Travel is not an issue has we have plenty of space on the coach. Are the tickets for the evening, if so will get in touch with the parents and ask if the girls are still interested.