1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

BIG GIG 2015 - Sheffield

Discussion in 'Day Trips and Outings' started by *gwen*, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Lynneth

Lynneth Veteran (100+ posts)

Pleasantly surprised as we were disappointed with the line up being so unfamiliar, but all acts were really good and you can certainly imagine (eg) The Tide and Hometown becoming pretty big. It was nice to have an indie band (Little Comets) for a bit of variety and I know girls have requested 'not all pop' before now. Dionne Bromfield did really well as presenter, and was much better than Stacey Dooley last year. My girls' highlights were The Vamps and Labrinth (who I thought could have done one or two more, the show finished marginally early). All in all, very good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. jim

jim Moderator GuiderPlus

I was on sales team,very busy but what a delight , all the girls were brilliant all came to stall and said "please may I have" and after purchaces all said Thank you without any exceptions well done girls. please pass thank you on to your girls

3. ker-stee

ker-stee SGP Enthusiast GuiderPlus

I felt the same! Had a great time on sales!

4. Coppullguides

Coppullguides (Newbie)

We enjoyed it on Saturday and girls are now asking about Wembley does anyone know if a date has been set? Regards, Sharon

5. ker-stee

I believe it was on the screen at the end of the event! (It normally is!)

And can I ask in future that all groups find a way of giving their girls a contact number in case they get lost! We had a girl stood crying with us for around 15 mins (We took her to information but stayed with) but didnt know her leaders name, just that she was wearing a black top which said Big Gig on!

6. Coppullguides

Coppullguides (Newbie)

I missed seeing the date all I saw was it was in October.

All my guides made sure they had my mobile number in phone before we got off the coach :D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2016
  7. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

That's as bad as one of the Brownies at Magic and Mayhem who was upset and looking for "Auntie Janet".
    "Which group are you from?"
    "Auntie Janet's group"
    "What's Auntie Janet's last name?"
    "Can't 'member"
    "Where does Auntie Janet live?"
    "Don't know. She's got brown hair."

(We did, by some miracle, locate Auntie Janet's Brownies!)

8. ker-stee

This girl looked very young, didn't have a phone and was split from her group. She was crying and I fear that getting lost will be her lasting memory of big gig :(

9. yorkie67

yorkie67 Div CA, GIC G, GIC R GuiderPlus

hence that's why we have wristbands on our guides - there were 93 of us and 82 were guides and they came from four units in our District and we've always had wristbands with their unit leaders number on. I remember - must been two years ago in Wembley we lost ours and the guide got lost and she informed the stewards and rang one of our leaders and we were able to get her quickly. We had noticed a few were lost and they hadn't a clue where they were.

10. RMT

RMT Guide Leader GuiderPlus

Ye we always use wristbands too and I only took 10 guides, I used it herself as she went back into seating and came back to shop but couldn't see us, I much prefer it if they have number just in case.

Though I always get some texts saying 'hello I have your number'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Quack

Quack Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

We do wristbands too..

It's all a memory of the lost Brownie, "who's your leader...?" "Brown Owl", "which Brownies are you" "Tuesday's"

12. snowy91

snowy91 Fully warranted Brownie Guider

Found a lost rainbow in magic's big top during the closing bit, didn't seem realise she was lost but no leader around her knew her. Told us her leader had gone to the loo, 15 mins later she was still there, we were also wondering where the other rainbows were! 'Who is your leader?' I don't know, 'where are you from?' 'The campsite...so I just went snd asked every rainbow leader till I found hers! Found them and they seemed oblivious to having lost one,

13. mazi159

mazi159 Assistant Guide Guider

That is worrying when they don't realise that they have lost a girl!

14. jennthedeadfunkyranger

jennthedeadfunkyranger Guide Guider GuiderPlus

As we got off the bus, we made all our unit get their phones out and put my number into it so that if they had a problem they could get hold of me (and were told to text rather than call as I'd not be able to hear them on the other end of the phone in the arena!).

15. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

We avoid wristbands due to problems with skin reactions (yes, even with those labelled hypoallergenic) so instead give out little cards with safety-pins attached. the card has a Leader's name, unit and phone number, and the pin means each person can choose where to pin it (so Guides can pin it inside a trouser pocket if they don't want it to spoil the outfit) but also means it's less likely to be lost.

It's not a new problem - I was at a Guiding event back in 1985 where the 'lost' stall never had fewer than 3 girls present from first thing, and some girls were there for over 30 minutes . . . unless you either assign a specific group of girls to each Leader to check on, or do regular headcounts, then it is all too easy for a girl to spend too much time looking at something, not realise that the group have moved on . . .