• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Brownie Holiday QM budget

syfyowl

Beginner (10+ posts)
I haven't been QM since 2012 but I'm working out a rough budget for our first BH. Does £5 a head a day sound about right? I used to be able to do it for £3.50 but it's 5 years later and I know we've got to replace our cleaning kits.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
£5-£5.50 if mainly homemade, higher if using prepare options, or a large amount of fresh meat or out-of-season fruit/veg.

syfyowl

Beginner (10+ posts)
That's fantastic, I'm not too far out with my figures then. This first Brownie Holiday is looking more and more possible.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
You could always ask the girls to bring something - common thing is cakes and biscuits, but if you really want to slash your food bill, get them to bring some fruit in each :)

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
You could always test your budget out by doing an online shop (but not checking out!) - try and get the quantity for 8 or 10 people, and then multiply your overall cost to scale for the number you actually have.

cerys80

Brownie Leader
We work on £6.50 ph for a weekend - this always includes some household supplies, disposables and ingredients for some sort of food related activity (for example armpit fudge, natural facemasks, smores)- our QM is well within this budget.

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
Depends if the QM budget includes the loo rolls bin bags, cleaning etc or just food. A lot of people just do one shop and include everything. Buying in bulk gives you the benefit of quantity, you still buy (e.g) jam, for one night or two, for 10 people or 16.

We have found £5 pp pn still is sufficient if not buying ready prepared or top brands. Take supermarket brands out of packets and very few girls can tell the difference

Last edited:

AngliaGuider

Regular (50+ posts)
For camp I allow £5/head per night, to include food, fuel (gas or wood or both, as necessary), cleaning materials. We do tend to take larger numbers (30 this year) so I get economies of scale, but we always come in within budget.

OrangeOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
For more than one night I use £5 pgirlpn and this will cover adults too, but if it's only one night it usually comes out a bit more expensive as there is no opportunity to re-use (for example the jam someone mentioned above).
Recent 24 hour camp cost £120 at the supermarket plus logs and lighterfuel and gas canisters for the stoves (say £140 total). This was for 18 girls, 5 adults, so nearer £8 per girl for one night.

AngliaGuider

Regular (50+ posts)
Overnights are trickier - I agree. We tend to ask the girls to either bring a packed lunch, or start in the afternoon. We are then only providing dinner and breakfast. And I often do porridge (made with lots of milk and served with demerara sugar, a spoon of jam if we have an open jar, golden syrup or strawberry/chocolate sauce) as a hot breakfast. It is amazing how many non-porridge likers suddenly realise that they do like it, served 'the Guide way'. It is hot, filling and cheap, and easy to make if we are in a hurry.

MummyOwl

Brownie Leader
We were recently charged £25 per head catering budget for a 2-night Guide camp (Division camp so we paid into a central catering fund - included gas fuel for burners/lanterns, etc.). Is this bonkers expensive???
(NOTE: camp fees, craft, etc was separate - this is catering only!!!!!)

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
We were recently charged £25 per head catering budget for a 2-night Guide camp (Division camp so we paid into a central catering fund - included gas fuel for burners/lanterns, etc.). Is this bonkers expensive???
(NOTE: camp fees, craft, etc was separate - this is catering only!!!!!)
What did you eat? How many attended?

MummyOwl

Brownie Leader
Nothing out of the ordinary or particularly special...
Cooked brekkie (pancakes (which surely cost pennies each!), baked beans, sausages); picnic lunch; pasta dinner (which frankly was disappointing); plenty of drinks and snacks...
About 100 girls/Leaders (budget of £2,500......)

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
Were they cooking using notes as fuel to burn?
Or was everything bought from the finest range of the most upmaket food shop?

Seriously...

Can you ask for a sight of the final accounts, it may show how the budget wa spent, as events are not supposed to make a profit

AngliaGuider

Regular (50+ posts)
Did that amount have to cover hire of commercial kitchen equipment for the duration of the camp? so things that we would not normally include within our food budget?