• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

By law busting

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
We haven't had one of these for a while! Please add some "newer" myths and the truth, also please please try to avoid "hot topics" (i.e. Promise and religion) as nothing new seems to be added.

Recently I have heard:

If you are over 70 you can keep your leader status etc…but you can only help at a unit fortnightly! (Nope; there did use to be restrictions but since have been removed. Volunteers over a certain age should have a check in though. https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/glob...rance-and-property/retirement_policy_faqs.pdf)

Brownie units choose gilet or sash, once chosen all girls in the unit must follow. (Nope, in the past certain items may have been at the units decision-like a brown or yellow necker, but it should be the girls choice)

If someone under the age of 21 wants to help on an ad hoc basis (OUH) they don't have to register on GO or undergo any checks! (Sort of, occasional helpers 18+ only need a reference check but they still need to be on GO. Disclosure checks )

Girlguiding is a franchise youth club. Census is the insurance payment, the programme and resources are optional extras, uniform is like school PE kit (you can have the branded stuff or have your own). This was an actual statement said to me by a new leader, that is what her understanding of what she had been signed up for! One of the other playground mums had "done some research" and had encouraged her to set up a unit in an area without any guiding units (good on her for doing it!) and had reassured her it was like "being an Avon rep!".

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
You're only insured if you're in uniform - not true. Anybody participating in a Guiding activity that is not on the prohibited list is covered. This includes children of guiders when they are at a meeting or activity with their parents.

You can only make your Promise when in uniform - not true. Imagine making your Promise in a swimming pool and having to wear uniform!

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
How about you only need to go to trainings until you get your qualification...
Sometimes the time you need your training is when you've had your qualification some time...in some cases it's essential.

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
Brownies are not to be loaned old uniform for residentials anymore because a mum complained that her daughter had ben traumatised by being forced to wear second hand clothes.

Erm no...offer it as an option and let parents decide what to dress their child in.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Have to have made your promise to get any badges.
Some truth, if you want to be a fully qualified leader, do BP, Chief Guides Challenge or Queens Guide you must have made your promise to finish and be awarded them.

No males may make a promise (unless they are doing it in TG from what I can understand?? But this wouldn't carry over anyway). This is not wavered at the commissioners discretion, or that they can make the Scouting one instead (unless they are a member of TSA). Nor are given a members metal badge instead of a promise badge with this making them being enrolled "acceptable". Although I have heard of them being presented as a lovely welcome gift for regular male UHs after they have been helping for a bit.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Have to have made your promise to get any badges.
Some truth, if you want to be a fully qualified leader, do BP, Chief Guides Challenge or Queens Guide you must have made your promise to finish and be awarded them.

No males may make a promise (unless they are doing it in TG from what I can understand?? But this wouldn't carry over anyway). This is not wavered at the commissioners discretion, or that they can make the Scouting one instead (unless they are a member of TSA). Nor are given a members metal badge instead of a promise badge with this making them being enrolled "acceptable". Although I have heard of them being presented as a lovely welcome gift for regular male UHs after they have been helping for a bit.

victoria

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
-The latest i had was for a SS permit you have to have 2 guiders onsite but its ok for a guide camp permit to have 1.

(County asked us to have 1 adult onsite all the time with location of the campsite for safety reasons)

-Brownies have to be 10 1/2 to be guides preferably 11.

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
I was told by an ex guider that our unit had to pay for her daughter's uniform, because she is our YL. Sorry, but the unit cannot afford the uniform at the moment. I did offer to apply for a grant for her, but was refused. Several months (and two foreign holidays) later, there is still no sign of uniform.

So maybe not a bylaw, but certainly an expectation sometimes.

Tregi

Veteran (100+ posts)
That there are only certain things allowed to go through the accounts, that you can't pay for adult costs for trips, the adults should pay for themselves.
The truth is that each unit can pay for what is necessary for their unit, depending on circunstances, monies in the account, and leader abilities.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
I was told by an ex guider that our unit had to pay for her daughter's uniform, because she is our YL. Sorry, but the unit cannot afford the uniform at the moment. I did offer to apply for a grant for her, but was refused. Several months (and two foreign holidays) later, there is still no sign of uniform.

Just out of interest, does the unit pay for uniform for adult leaders?

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
County give a voucher for Trading once ALQ is completed. My daughter and I received a polo shirt each as part of a grant when we opened the unit six or seven years ago. So no, the unit itself doesn't pay for leader uniform.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus

Thing is, because volunteers shouldn't be out of pocket, technically a basic set of uniform should be supplied. Whether it's the unit, or a higher level, varies from place to place and customs vary.

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
Whilst I agree that a volunteer shouldn't be out of pocket, there are local grants available for uniform and I offered to apply for the YL. I was turned down.

victoria

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
You have to have 2 adults onsite for a young leader permit but 1 is ok for a guide one
(county did ask for 1 adult onsite with remote campsite on a main road)

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Cannot move up to the next section until a girl has completed end of section activities (Pot of Gold, Brownies Go for It and Move On Up). It's preferable to prep girls for the next section but they shouldn't be prevented! Equally BP isn't for every Guide and they shouldn't be forced to do it if not interested (or the standards lowered so they get through it with their friends).

That you can do/ start BP as a TSS member as long as you are 14 or 15. Nope, as soon as you have moved up that option is closed off…but there are lots of new and exciting awards and challenges available!

Also that the officially suggested end of Guides is 16. There used to be a useful chart that gave section age bands including suggested transition timings- this listed 15-16. Many many more documents and resources say 10-14 so I don't get why this is quoted so often!