• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Can TG do first response?

CampBeanz

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Hi all, On behalf of my mum please:

Hi, Just a quick question. I used to be the Guider of a brownie unit but after many years gave it up in 2005 when my daughter who was age 11 left to go to Guides. I had a few years off and then in 2009 joined the TG. My first aid certificate is now well out of date but I am now helping back at my old brownie unit again each week. I am not an AG or UH officially, I just went as a TG helper into a unit and seem to have been going every week since. My daughter is in Rangers and her leader asks me each time if I would like to go on their camp with them to help, as they are short of adults. They have CRB checked me and they asked me if I would be first aider, which I would but I do not have an up to date certificate. Can I attend our next first response training as a TG member? To get my certificate back up to date? I am not sure now if it is just for GIC/AG/YL & /UH.

Many Thanks

jim

GuiderPlus
you can do first response but it isnt as comprehensive as a full first aid course
all members of GGUK from young leader /unit helpers upwards can do first response

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I'm sure TG could do it- it seems daft if they're not, particularly as anyone can do a first aid course if they want to in the wider world :)

ice

Veteran (100+ posts)
Yes as long as they are fit enough.

Though if your helping every week at a unit you should be registered as unit helper

chopperchick

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Can I suggest that the answer is based upon "WHY" she's doing it?

If she's a unit helper (regular or otherwise, TG or otherwise) and is doing it because she's a unit helper - then absolutely, yes, she can. We were encouraged to offer First Response training to "helpers" and not just "leaders".
Therefore, to avoid complication, I'd suggest she attends the next First Response as a "unit helper" and not as a "TG member". In this situation, the fact she's a TG member is a bit of a red herring - it doesn't really matter that she is or isn't, what's important is whether she is a nominated unit helper who should or could do First Response.

The only reason I make that point is that our First Response trainers, as a rule, are only trained to deliver the First Response to our (& Scouting) leaders and helpers. That's the point of the course - asking them to deliver the course to anyone outwith that nominated group may be beyond the extent of their own qualifications or remit as a GGUK trainer. Might seem like a daft point, but trainers are approved to deliver certain training to certain people ......... hence my suggestion she attends as a "unit helper" not as a "TG member" unless you get that point specifically clarified with the trainer.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
If you're helping regularly, you should be registered as a regular helper - if that hasn't happened yet then you/the unit leaders should have a word with the Commissioner to get the process rolling. If you are going to attend residentials then you have to have Disclosure/CRB and the Commissioner is the one who will help you with the forms for this.

In terms of doing first response, then I see no reason why not - the information is valuable to a range of people in Guiding.

OrangeOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
You can do first response as an occasional holiday/camp helper with the guides, if that is why you want to do it, but I agree with the others...if you are helping regularly then you are a regular helper.

bramblebush

Veteran (100+ posts)
guides and upwards can do the first response course.

If she pays census as TG then it is only adding a role to her GO record to become a UH, shouldn't cost the brownies anymore money, and maybe be a residential helper for SS too.

ChrisA

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
guides and upwards can do the first response course.

If she pays census as TG then it is only adding a role to her GO record to become a UH, shouldn't cost the brownies anymore money, and maybe be a residential helper for SS too.
No TG census is separate to Guiding census and if you belong to both both have to be paid