1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

centenary chalet crew!

Discussion in 'Centenary G2G's/Forum Trips' started by *alli*, Dec 25, 2008.

1. dollypip

dollypip Rach or Dolly i'll answer to anything...

I dont drink water at all... so that 2l would be in my bag and Ive never used factor 30+ in my life!

2. LFC_dragonfly

LFC_dragonfly Veteran (100+ posts)

Just a heads up for anyone who hasn't been to Our Chalet before....

...Adelboden is about 2.5-3 hrs drive away from both of the airports in Switzerland, so you'd need to factor this into your timings!

Unless of course you end up going with Jeka, in which case I assume they will sort all that out for you! Never used them, so how good they are I can't comment.

3. Nell Gwyn

Nell Gwyn Veteran (100+ posts)

Sounds all good to me - count me in...

Looks like a busy time between September 2009 and October 2010 and beyond.

Sorry for being greedy (being unattached and all that with no family ties to speak of - I get to do what I like, within reason and funding being available), but not being a student or teacher, likewise I don't get the holiday entitlement they do either, but so far looks like Our Chalet something between April/May 2010 (long weekend would be perfect), then Centenary Camp as member of CAST hot footing it back from Leeds to Foxleases for Regional Centenary Camp (24 hour experience STAFF!) and to celebrate my birthday, and then Sangam for Thinking Day 2011 - Regional organised trip (This coincides with their 100 years so that will be really nice too...)

Now I am just off to pursuade my manager that guiding is a good thing and that as they give their staff who are involving in guiding an additional week's holiday to take their girls away - he should be just as accommodating - not sure whether he will agree!!!!!

4. Wren

Wren Mod Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I'd love to go, but I'd need to know the sort of cost involved. I also need to obtain a passport!

I'm signed up already to help with the service team for the centenary camp at Foxlease, so would be keener for a May date rather than the main hols.

5. CrispyChicken

CrispyChicken Charlie xx

and they do woggles!!!

6. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

I'd be interested, depending on dates - I've got to fit in centenary activities for 2 units, as well as the weekends I want, so I fear May may be difficult/impossible . . .

7. Kookabura

Kookabura Guide GiC

There are advantages and disadvantages with staying actually at the chalet, or staying elsewhere.

Obviously staying at the chalet means you have 'stayed there' rather than just visited it for the day. But, it does mean you are tied to times more. You could just book rooms at the chalet, and food some days, and eat out other days. You could arrange your own activities, or book ones via the chalet. Equally, you could stay elsewhere in Adelboden/Switzerland and visit the chalet. But generally if you do that you would visit for a tour, wander around etc, but not 'do' anything there.

There are lots of different activities available - plenty of more adventurous things, and some less so. It would probably be best to have a couple of options (if there are enough people who go), so that there would be things to suit everyone. It is a pity going all that way to end up not doing something you want to do!!

Also, by the way, the hiking equipment list and protocol is pretty obvious stuff. But, you would be surprised the number of people who don't have a clue!! We had a few people who touched electric fences when they 'didn't realise' what they are. I had people on an all day hike with nothing to drink cos they had forgotten their water bottle etc. Obviously you use your commen sense though, if you don't need something on there that is up to you. But it is a reminder for those who hadnt thought of things.

8. bryony

bryony Guide and Ranger Guider Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I'd love to go!

9. milly

milly Veteran (100+ posts)

I would like to go, but depends on when and how much

10. Hilzo42

Hilzo42 Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod! Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Erm, ok. I've had a quick look. Current provisional time seems to be April 2010 (for those dependant on school holidays).

IF we stayed at the Chalet for 4 nights (approx 50 swiss francs pppn) currently the exchange rate puts it at around £130.
    Flights are currently in the region of £90-130 for April '09.
    We would need to add on additional transport, food & activity costs.

We're maybe looking at the £350 - £400 mark?
    Its a very, very rough figure though.

11. dollypip

dollypip Rach or Dolly i'll answer to anything...

so that's like 100 pounds per day!
    and is it certain airports?

12. Hilzo42

Ok, based on going from Thursday to Monday:

£130 for accomodation (that was the average of 50 swiss francs pppn, but different rooms cost different ammounts)
    £100 flights (I did London to Zurich or Geneva)
    £95 train & bus to/from Adelboden
    £50 if we ate breakfast and dinner at Our Chalet

Comes out at £375. (approx of course)

HOWEVER
    • It could be worked that everyone goes from whichever airport is most conveniant for them and we just time our flights to get there together (so you don't need to factor in travel to/from London).
    • Travel will prob also be cheaper if we book further in advance (the train fares were for the end of this month, may well be cheaper tickets in adance or group bookings etc)
    • We don't have to stay in the Chalet of course.
    • It depends what activities people want to do (this includes eating out).
    • Could see what Jekka or similar can offer, may well be cheaper.
    Not sure if this helps or not really, but its a sorta starting point if you get my drift.

13. *alli*

*alli* ooooh Im now Brownies GiC!!

il volunteer to contact jeka n see what they come up with. Does sum1 else wana do the same incase we get any other info (ie sum1 else may ask a diff qu to me too!!lol)

14. Hilzo42

I had a quick look at their site, but all the tours seemed to be 8 days+. I reckon initially just see if they'd do shorter ones really!

Anyone know of other holiday organisers? I haven't got a Guiding Mag to hand to hand to look through!

15. bryony

bryony Guide and Ranger Guider Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I'm definately keen on going! had missed this thread somehow!

16. LFC_dragonfly

LFC_dragonfly Veteran (100+ posts)

But you'd already replied in it saying you would like to go Bryony, lol!

I personally wouldn't stay at the Chalet, or go with Jeka. Doing either makes it that much more restricting with what you can do and when, and adds to the costs!

The accomodation place I gave alli the link for is ace, and a good coach company based in Adelboden you could try contacting (for any trips you want to do, and airport transfers) is called Portenier. They have lovely staff and drivers (especially Martin, our regular driver both times we were there, but he's retiring in 2010 I think he told us last time), and they have English speaking people you can arrange stuff with!

http://www.gate24.ch/en/enterprises.../E--Portenier-AG/schober-2503708-2492621.aspx

17. sliceofrice

sliceofrice Veteran (100+ posts)

This sounds ace. I am interested :) not a def, but am def interested.

18. GuidingKB

GuidingKB Brownie Guider

I've just had a look on the BMI baby site - they don't fly every day but there are flights from Birmingham for about £60 inc taxes and £80 from EMA inc taxes. These are using seats in the sale, so without taxes a one way ticket is about £15, so if we book flights early enough, we may be able to get some good deals!

19. Mandy86

Mandy86 Veteran (100+ posts)

i'd love to go depending on costs and timing as i will be in my final year!

20. Hilzo42

Dates

I think all agree'd that October 2010 was a no-go, and that the preferred time would most likely be April 2010 - this allows for those restricted by school holidays to be able to attend. Feb Half Term at Our Chalet has already been booked up for Guides Thinking Day (it's one of the events in the catalogue).

Easter in 2010 falls on Sunday April 4th. I know the school in my area breaks up on Thursday 1st. I can't speak for others though! However I doubt Easter weekend itself would be a good time to go...........

I've had a look at the GGUK Centenary Site, and to me the most promising weekend would be 10th/11th April. The suggested days of Thurs-Mon would be 8th - 12th.

Currently the Ultimate Morocco, Ultimate Costa Rica and Pedal Power event for Guides are taking place then. however the following weekend is even busier for Centenary events (at Bronerion, Pax Lodge and ICANDO, along with the Ultimate Adventures already listed):
    Events calendar

Of course I don't know what you may have going on locally over the Easter hols, but based on national events that weekend is probably the most promising.

What does anyone else think?