1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Centenary G2G

Discussion in 'Centenary G2G's/Forum Trips' started by Hilzo42, Dec 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Hilzo42

Hilzo42 Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod! Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Following on from the 'not many adults only' things in the centenary catalogue got me thinking about G2G's over the centenary year. I know there was the odd mention of maybe doing something a bit bigger or going abroad or sommat.

I think G2G4 has already got organisers earmarked so I'm guessing we'd prob be looking at G2G5 in April 2010 as a potential time to do something.
    Not that I'm necessarily volunteering, but if it were to be a big thing we'd need a lot more time to organise it.

Thoughts anyone on what people might like to do?

2. Broken.Owner

Broken.Owner Archery Goddess and Moderator GuiderPlus

what might be fun is G2G6 (ok, i'm planning ahead here) could be over 20th october 2010 and we could do our own ending to the centenary (100 champagne bottles or somthing!!)

3. Smudge

Smudge The Doctor (5000+ posts)

I think it would be fun to do something big in 2010 - and with this much notice then even those of us with limited incomes might be able to go

4. Hilzo42

I had thought about that, but if there was something huge locally then I wouldn't want to have to pick between them!

Having had a quick look through the catalogue there aren't that many events occuring in April 2010 either (can't account for local ones obviously) - mainly a couple of the big senior section ones.
    And Easter Sunday will be 4th April, if that's of any interest to anyone!

Dates aside, it's more ideas of what peeps might like to do.

5. GuidingKB

GuidingKB Brownie Guider

I like the idea of planning our own G2Gs for the centenary!
    I know in Nottingham we are having a big event on 20 0ct, so a suggestion would be that weekend for G2G6 - 21 - 23rd Oct
    I'm happy to assist anyone with planning one!

6. jim

jim Moderator GuiderPlus

as we have had g2gs up north of country well above watford gap how about one in s/west like cornwall not the bristol area as I dont call that south west but may be the gateway to it
    I know one member who was sayin nothing was ever organised down their area
    could work out quite cheap out of season

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  7. Hilzo42

well if G2G's are going to continue the trend of being roughly in April and September (ish) then there will be two G2G's that year, so one could well be 'darn sarf' as it were and one elsewhere.

Random thoughts to start us off:
    I'd love to go to Our Chalet.
    Have two G2G's occurring at the same time - but one in Lands End and one in John O'Groats and do some sort of linkup. (sorry, that was a totally random thought, no idea how to go about it!)

8. GuidingKB

GuidingKB Brownie Guider

I'm not particularly technical, but if we were somewhere with internet access, we might be able to set something up with webcams....

I'd also love to go to Our Chalet

9. jim

jim Moderator GuiderPlus

the site i go to in cornwall is brilliant got the david bellamy gold award and out of season do deals for my caravan with awning and electric hookup is £50 a week tents are much cheaper and there are showers (free) clean well looked after site owners are realy nice sure we could get a deal from them if some one put on the charm as they do a lot of charity work
    http://www.lower-polladras.co.uk/index.html
    they have internet connection on site

10. *alli*

*alli* ooooh Im now Brownies GiC!!

i think our chalet is a good un! I wana go!!

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Brownie Guider and Rainbow A/G

The gorgeous and golden brownies event is that weekend, our letter says that's a national one rather than just a county one?

12. Smudge

I would love to go to our chalet too!

13. woodyowl

woodyowl Forum Mod, Guide GIC, Rainbow GIC, Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

could we try for one at our chalet and one for uk maybe once again with a link up?

just thinking means more people could go and also good for those who maybe our chalet would be a little too expensive for

14. Baggie

Baggie Assistant Guide Guider

Think its a fab idea to do something for the centenary, although I think we're always going to be in the situtation where we can't please everyone ... so having a couple going on at different places might be a good solution.

I'd love to go to our chalet though!

15. KatieW

KatieW Guide Guider, Nottingham Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I'd love to go to a Centenary G2G event!

16. laurad82

laurad82 assistant guide leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

i think we should have 2 events, but keeping em both in the uk, as many people wont be able to manage/afford places like our chalet. (although i do wanna go)

i think it would be good having 2 both at the same time 1 in the north and 1 south and love the link up idea.

17. Pigeon

Pigeon Veteran (100+ posts)

What about regional ones with some kind or Internet/web cam link up?
    Could all run the same programme of events too- so that every one was doing the same things at the same time(ish!) just in a place more local to them? perhaps more people would then be able to attend?

18. laurad82

laurad82 assistant guide leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

i like this date. would be a good birthday celebration!!!!!:D
    could it start from the 19th tho and go thro to the 21st?????:D

19. Smudge

If we decided on somewhere like our chalet soon then even those of us with limited incomes could prob afford to go as we would have plenty of time to save and get cheap flights etc.

20. LFC_dragonfly

LFC_dragonfly Veteran (100+ posts)

Having one over the period of 10/10/2010 seems a bit of a stretch, as I'm guessing alot of people will be having stuff locally. I know I will!!

I'm going to Mexico in August 2010 as a county centenary trp, so pretty much all my spare funds over the next 18 months will be going on that. And I'm guessing anyone planning large scale events that year locally will be forking out for things too. I know it would by nice to have a big international or something to celebrate the centenary for just us, but I really can't see it being practical when we all have other things going on.

I reckon we should have big day/weekend (and I mean big!!) somewhere in the UK, or in numerous places in the UK as people have hinted at, and have link ups maybe. Be a cheap alternative to other things like the camp in Leeds or international trips, and that way we will be able to be as inclusive as possible and get loads of us there!!!