• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Changes to TSS

partygirl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Have you heard that there will be something Trinny? Last I heard, it was being discussed that over 18's would just be leaders.

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
I have heard by word of mouth that it won't just be "turn 18 and now you're a leader or get out". There won't be a programme to follow but there will be some level of support and I think that 18-26 will essentially be transition time in which to move into leadership in a gradual way. I don't know anything officially but I heard that awards are still up for discussion - although I think QGA and Gold etc will still be open for this age group in my opinion.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
From what I have heard/seen its similar to what's Trinny has already put. I think it likely something similar to Scout Network, which might work.

guiderlinda

Veteran (100+ posts)
In response to partygirl, this discussion matches the Scouts closing Ventures (which used to be 16-21) in the 1990s.

The difference between Scouting and the Guiding suggestions seems to be that Scout Network operate under the supervision of a Commissioner for the District (equivalent in size to one of our Divisions). Otherwise, they're open to completing Queen's Scout Awards and DofE etc and plan their own programme and activities.

Scout Network members are often but not always leaders in other roles as well, and most people designated by Scouting as being part of a Network probably don't attend many activities - it's a way to fiddle the youth membership numbers.

Scout Network

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
There is an opening to be the lead volunteer for the 18-25 future. Seems like a great chance for a "real grassroots" member to manage us towards a decent offering.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Transforming The Senior Section

This week more updates; the lead for 18-25 is in post, 14-18 is going to officially be Rangers, and interestingly the webpage has been up dated and acknowledged that some of us felt it was unfair to use the statistic of what role we considered to be our main one- so it’s no longer being used.

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
So most of a year has been spent finding out what most of us never wanted to lose umpty years ago in the first place. Now in a flurry of publicity about how girls were consulted etc, we are back to where we were.

Why the name Rangers was ever dropped, and not kept as a trademark/copywrite whatever it is called is a mystery..

I suppose we should be thankful, that common sense prevailed at last

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Ok - devils advocate here...we can see from the stats that not enough girls are moving from Guides into the next section so why ? The majority that do move up tend to go at about 18/19...those that stay longer, do they have other roles in Guiding or are they purely TSS members ?

How can we improve things ? How can we ensure the new programme is pitched at the right level of challenge activity for these girls ? Are we wasting leadership resources and volunteer time trying to cater for a group that don't need 'leadership' but do need direction and challenge? How do we ensure that our brands are protected, moving into a more digital age and when others may have a claim on an identity...eg Football teams etc..

Yes, it seems daft, but we've been through a process, we're confident this is what the girls and the leaders want....if we never challenge what we have who knows how valuable it is...

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Just announced in this weeks email newsletter together with the update on the new programme awards and costs..

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Like Quack says, it’s on the most recent email. But if you try and click on it right at the moment Surveymonkey say it’s down for maintenance.

“We now have a lead volunteer and task and finish group to develop our 18-25 offer. To kick start consultation with members of The Senior Section as soon as possible we’ll be launching a survey via The Senior Section newsletter, YeSS, before Christmas. The survey will stay open until Sunday 14 January so as many young members, advisers and leaders for The Senior Section as possible have the chance to take part. Please encourage all members of The Senior Section to complete the survey.”

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Our thoughts about changes to The Senior Section

My impression from this is that there is not going to be a formal section/Rangers equivalent, however similar to how currently “TSS” is an umbrella for all 14-25, under the new system 18-25 YOs will still be “young members”. Certain opportunities will be available to those in that age range but Guiding won’t be offering a unit style option that membership can be gained through. I don’t know of many members that wouldn’t be covered by allowing those with additional needs to remain in their Ranger unit, that would be effected by these changes (ie a 24 YO who only is a TSS unit member).

That said there is still the chance to give feedback and comments.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
The email today was interesting- what status will 18-30 YOs have, young member or something new or adult?

I’m pleased about the option for social membership, this will make a big difference for lots of people.

Although the section isn’t going to have a specific uniform, are they going to review the current general member one?

I’d be interested in a clarification about our own awards, will this extend QG to 30?

Last edited:

Tregi

Veteran (100+ posts)
I like that they have now sent it to everyone to have a read, and I think it makes more sense. Some people aren't ready for GOLD, going off to other countries etc by 26 - and some are at 18. It opens the gap up a little to let people make the decision when they are ready, not because they are 26 next year and if they don't do it now, they can't ever! The social side sounds interesting - I have had a few leaders around 18-20, and they either stay full time or we loose them completely - maybe this option lets them keep themselves connected but not committed....

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Some people are still at the angry stage - hoped Guiding would backtrack on all that's been said and offer them a uniformed section with Leaders, but that was never very realistic - Leaders are needed for the youth sections, and uniform sales would never be sufficient to provide an exclusive option for the limited number of over 18s who choose to be solely Senior Section members. Plus, having the cut-off between youth uniform and adult uniform at 18 is valuable for differentiating youth and adult at a glance. So they were doomed to disappointment whatever was announced.

For the rest of us - well, we'll always want more detail than we've got so far, but although what's there is vague It's also positive.