1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Consent forms

Discussion in 'Day Trips and Outings' started by tori.kiff1, Apr 29, 2015.

1. tori.kiff1

tori.kiff1 Veteran (100+ posts)

If parents email me consent forms, do I have to print it? Or as I can get emails on my phone, would that be ok?

Also, I've seen a lot of mentions of a home contact. What exactly is that? X

2. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

See this page in the manual about home contact

As it says "this form can be returned electronically" on the forms, and IF you can guarantee access to the information then no, you don't need to print it out. Personally, I would advise common sense, if you're taking the girls to an event for an hour on a Saturday, your phone/tablet is unlikely to die in that time, provided you've downloaded the forms before going, just in case you don't have internet, then the risk of being without the information you need is negligable.

However, if you're off on a full day trip, which involves (as examples, not to be taken as gospel) coaches and/or adventurous activities, basically where the girls are going to be in your care for much longer etc, I would definitely advocate hard copies, just in case your technology fails. Whether you ask parents to print and return, or whether you print them, out, that's up to you.

I know the manual is not the most user-friendly if you're looking for something specific, but I think you would find it very useful to spend an evening taking a look through it.

3. tori.kiff1

tori.kiff1 Veteran (100+ posts)

Thanks. I very often use my phone rather than my computer so struggle to search for particular sections.

4. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

If you know what you're looking for, go onto google, type what it is e.g. home contact and girlguiding manual, it'll bring up the page. Much easier than looking through the manual or using its search facility. That's all I did to find the link above. :)

5. emmaluvseeyore

emmaluvseeyore Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant

Personally, I don't print the forms off for day trips, but I do for residential events.

As we have to have a home contact for any meeting/trip/event that requires a form (except for adventurous activities taking place in your meeting place), I just type up all the details on the forms and send that to the home contact. I then print out a copy of the spreadsheet for each leader on the trip so we all have access to the emergency contact details. That means that another leader has access should anything happen to me. Personally, I wouldn't rely on my phone, even though I do use it all the time! You would be a bit stuck if you don't have internet signal wherever you are, or if something happened to you then other people wouldn't be able to get into your phone.

6. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

I always prefer separate forms to having only a list, as if one child has to leave the rest of the group to get first aid treatment she really needs to have her records travel with her, and if everyone's details are on the list then that's a lot of unnecessary private information being carried - and meantime, potentially the rest of the group not having a copy of the records if a second problem arises.

And as others have said, mobile phones are fine provided there is sufficient charge and signal, but in rural areas especially, are not 100% reliable.

7. Pixielation

Pixielation Brown Owl (x2)

I agree with ferris, especially if it's a residential and/or health forms are involved. Whoever takes a girl to hospital should have that child's health form in their hand in order to give a doctor any necessary information (oh look, Flossie is allergic to penicillin!) it might not be the GIC with her phone who goes.

That said, I've taken a last minute consent form on my phone when I had to ring a parent and ask for it to be sent - the child was brought by someone else with no consent form given. The parent who brought her had to hang around until I got the email attachment, and would have had to take her home again if not.