• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Cookafest

tori.kiff1

Veteran (100+ posts)
I put my feelers out to parents about Cookafest. And out of 10 ive had 4 parents say they're keen on their daughter going.
I'm a bit dissappointed with that response. I'm going to put it forward to the girls next week and hope they're keen.
We can get a coach with the local Brownie unit so even if it is only 4 it won't be too bad. But it's one of the few events close enough to go to and majority may miss out.

Sorry this has been a bit of a rant.

Also, obviously you're supposed to have 2 adults at all times with Rainbows. But at an organised event like that, can it just be one of theres 5 or less Rainbows?
Thanks

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I put my feelers out to parents about Cookafest. And out of 10 ive had 4 parents say they're keen on their daughter going.
I'm a bit dissappointed with that response. I'm going to put it forward to the girls next week and hope they're keen.
We can get a coach with the local Brownie unit so even if it is only 4 it won't be too bad. But it's one of the few events close enough to go to and majority may miss out.

Sorry this has been a bit of a rant.

Also, obviously you're supposed to have 2 adults at all times with Rainbows. But at an organised event like that, can it just be one of theres 5 or less Rainbows?
Thanks
You would have to have two adults, but it may be possible for you to join forces with another unit which is going and 'pool' your adults so that both units are within ratios, and you would have an understanding that were one adult put out of action for whatever reason, the remaining adults would take charge of the girls from both units.

tori.kiff1

Veteran (100+ posts)
It confuses me that?
Basically, say I have 5 rainbows. And then there are two brownie leaders with 8 brownies, we'd be well within our numbers right?

However if there were 4 more brownies, or even 1 more rainbow, we'd need an extra adult?

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I didn't know whether having it as a girlguiding event the people running it and assisting would count towards the ratio
No, if there was a general emergency (e.g. the event having to finish early due to bad weather) they would be too busy doing central organisation of everybody to be able to offer any help to you.

(having been on central teams, I know it can seem like there are several 'spare bodies' who don't seem to have be doing anything for most of the day and it may appear that they could easily be usilised to help units that are short-handed - but actually, they may well have arrived several hours beforehand to set up the activities, create the first aid post, sort out the catering, car parking and reception - and may well also be there several hours after the participants have gone dismantling it all again - and because they are helping run it, it may be the case that their unit didn't get the chance to take part in the event for want of ratios).

shackademus

Veteran (100+ posts)
remember some rainbows may have not even been on a school trip so some parents and rainbows may be apprehensive spending time without their family in an unknown place. some are just not ready for big events with many activities and lots of people. if you offer any opportunities then the girls who go benefit and the others will see how much the enjoyed it and how capable the leaders are and may be tempted in the future.

catdrew

Brownie Guider
GuiderPlus
you cant please them all. it may be some see dads, parents work or girls have to stay with relatives on that particular day or even other activities that clash. getting girls excited does help though.

1 adult to 5 rainbows sounds enough but if you need the loo who minds your girls, if one is poorly and needs first aid you have to take them all to the first aid post. two pairs of adult eyes is better than one for dangers etc.