• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Cookafun

tori.kiff1

Veteran (100+ posts)
Has anyone done cookafun yet?
I have it planned for after Christmas.
How's it gone for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cathy

Veteran (100+ posts)
We've looked at it as our Rainbows love food things. The one stumbling block we have at the moment is how to have 16 rainbows working in pairs to make smoothies on one night. As a team we have 2 blenders between us which we could bring to be used, but that would still mean each blender being washed and used 4 times in one hr long meeting!

Does anyone have a master plan for making smoothies with Rainbows with a limited number of blenders? I guess asking the parents to bring them in could work, but I'm not sure that is ideal and I would worry that they'd all assume someone else would bring them!

ann

Veteran (100+ posts)
How about pre blending whatever you are going to add to the smoothies so all the girls have to do is to add the blended fruit (maybe making choices as to what she wants to add) or whatever to the milk and then mix - each girl could then do her own then ?

catdrew

Brownie Guider
GuiderPlus
could they just do it by bashing/mashing the fruit. so ask them to come with an apron then give them a bowl and a spoon. loads more fun that a blender.

or would putting it in a plastic bag and getting them to squich it that way work better. do any of you have those sport bottles with a whisk inside them that might work as well.

i am intrigued by what cookafun is though can you explain please.

Bramble

Veteran (100+ posts)
Cookafun is a new challenge from Girlguiding south west. it`s to encourage the girls to eat healthly. There is a badge to earn and
next year there will be a regional event on the same theme. Have a look at girlguidingsouthsouthwest website for more info.

tori.kiff1

Veteran (100+ posts)
I think my Rainbows will love bashing and mashing! Fab idea CatDrew. I'm very much looking forward to it now.
I bought a load of aprons ready for it! You know there will be a parent or 10 who forget!! X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K8_m

Beginner (10+ posts)
When I did it (with guides) I got them to prepare the fruit in their patrol groups. They then filled a plastic cup with their choice of chopped fruit and blitzed it in the blender a cupful at a time (with either some added fruit juice or yogurt) and only cleaned the blender after each patrol. I did the girls without yogurt first so that they wouldn't get 'left over' yogurt in their smoothie and only one of the girls chose not to have the frozen berries mix so I did her first for that group as the berries turned everything pink. I managed 20 girls with 1 blender.

Becky2

Beginner (10+ posts)
Hi,

My Rangers are keen to do the badge, and they also want to attend cook-a-fest. The problem is, we're in Portsmouth, so it's a bit of a trek. I'm looking at doing an overnight event (Fri-Sun), so does anyone know anywhere to stay, scout huts etc? We'll get the train to Exeter, so it would need to be as fully equipped as possible.

Many Thanks,

Becky

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
I wondered whether to alter slightly and get them to blend fruit juices instead? as can get cartons of different flavours fairly easily

Bramble

Veteran (100+ posts)
To Becky2:

I have sent you a private message with a couple of suggestions. Sent as a pm as it contains an e-mail address. Hope it helps.

My Rangers are keen to do the badge, and they also want to attend cook-a-fest. The problem is, we're in Portsmouth, so it's a bit of a trek. I'm looking at doing an overnight event (Fri-Sun), so does anyone know anywhere to stay, scout huts etc? We'll get the train to Exeter, so it would need to be as fully equipped as possible.

Many Thanks,

Becky[/QUOTE]

tori.kiff1

Veteran (100+ posts)
So this week is our first week of cookafun. Wish us luck!!
Leaving our smoothie til February 25th.
It's my birthday and I think it might stress me out!

Vanessa (Elf)

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Last night nine of my Guides did the first part of Cookafun and managed to produce edible meals and not burn our meeting place down!

The remainder of the unit were doing other parts of the badge and parts of the Life Wise GoForIt!

Next week another eight will cook and then the final eight the week after. It wasn't as stressful as I thought it might be but my there was alot of washing up.

Myself and DD (who is a YL and member of TSS) have signed up as volunteers as Cookafest.

Vanessa (Elf)

Vanessa (Elf)

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Oh no tori.kiff1, maybe try again next week?

Guides can be just a picky. I once did tea sampling with mine and the faces they pulled......

Don't give up.

Vanessa (Elf)

Loopy

Veteran (100+ posts)
Does anyone have any tried and tested smoothie recipes for Brownies? I know there are loads of recipes online (and the resource has some links), but just wondered what you've found went down well with your girls?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

somertonguider

Veteran (100+ posts)
it may be worth googling for some, but my concern for this is that the breaking down of the fruit dramatically increases the sugars, and children would not normally drink 5 - 6 fruits at the same time.

I have been to a dietician because of illness and she said that everyone should steer clear of smoothies because of the increase in sugars and that the fruit drunk this way is not healthy