• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Crafts with Wool ideas

*gwen*

GIC Guide/SS
GuiderPlus
I have a huge amount of wool in every colour going. So looking for some craft ideas to do with Guides.

We have recently done both God Eyes and Friendship bracelets. And I cant knot so ruling that out too.

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
Our Rainbows enjoyed gluing wool into shapes. One I've seen recently was short lengths of pastel coloured wool underneath an egg shaped aperture.

You could use wool to sew onto binca or plastic canvas.

Wrap wool around lolly sticks to make Rainbows, Brownies or Guides. Add wool hair and a face. Or make movable dolls with wool wrapped pipe cleaners.

Cut five lengths of colours for each section of Guiding. Tie together at the top, then twist as tightly as possible until you reach the bottom. Secure with a knot. Push one knot through the strands, to make a bracelet. I think this was from Anglia's I Promise resource, where it will be explained much more clearly than I can manage!

Loop strands of wool together to make an octopus.

Guatemalan worry dolls.

Weave over paper plates.

Throw a ball of wool to each other whilst in a circle. As you throw it, say something positive about the recipient. If each person keeps hold of the wool before throwing the ball, you'll have a friendship web.

Blow up a balloon. Wrap wool dipped in PVA around the balloon. When its dry, pop the balloon and you have a decorative wool ball.

Use as hair when making peg dolls or paper plate faces.

Brown9

Regular (50+ posts)
wrap white wool around a small circle with a hole in the middle as you would for a pom pom but only use 1 piece of card. Once the hole is nearly filled cut a head sheep shaped out of felt and add google eyes and you can cut a tail shape for the back and add a pin for sheep badges

How about teaching them finger knitting? We did this with Brownies recently and it was a big hit. Once they'd got the hang, they made bracelets, necklaces and (particularly cool) headbands.

Here's a wiki article, also try youtube for lots of videos

How to Finger Knit

MiniMoates

Veteran (100+ posts)
We made dreamcatchers with wool, just bought really cheap bangles and then wrapped wool around and decorated with beads and feathers

cerys80

Brownie Leader
Bug thingies (can't remember their name!)
Half hitch wool ALL around a curtain ring or large keyring, different colours give a lovely effect. Once all on, split/fluff out the layers of the wool so the lengths are fuller and then trim as required. Add on longer lengths between the strands at the bottom and plait them - do it twice and they are sort of like legs dangling off the bottom. Can also add a length as a string at top to hang up. If you add a circle of foam/felt and stick it on the back you can add eyes and/or add a pin back to wear. Will try and find a photo - we did them at a G2G years ago :)

bubblesaus

Veteran (100+ posts)
Cut different lengths from 3cm-30 and hide all around the hall and any outdoor area you can use. In patrol or groups, Guide have to find the wool and knot it together efficiently so that they make the longest piece. Lots of fun, not too serious, a little knotting (but you don't have to do it), and excellent for using the "ugly" colours!

Sunny2nd

Guide and Ranger Leader
GuiderPlus
Bug thingies (can't remember their name!)
Half hitch wool ALL around a curtain ring or large keyring, different colours give a lovely effect. Once all on, split/fluff out the layers of the wool so the lengths are fuller and then trim as required. Add on longer lengths between the strands at the bottom and plait them - do it twice and they are sort of like legs dangling off the bottom. Can also add a length as a string at top to hang up. If you add a circle of foam/felt and stick it on the back you can add eyes and/or add a pin back to wear. Will try and find a photo - we did them at a G2G years ago :)
Think you mean the Hairy BOGUK? Website at GuidingUK - The Hairy Boguk