• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Discussion V: Branding, has it worked?

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Scouts have the right idea with making their logo front and centre and it hasn't changed much in 100 years
I'm not sure that's quite right. Scouting have changed their profile in recent years. Traditionally it's been the fleur de lys as on their promise badge and that was used as we use the trefoil, but now they have the "Scouts" logo which is used on everything and their own standard colours and typeface etc...
I'm not aware of any scouting straplines but they are just as aware of updating their image as we are..

partygirl

Veteran (100+ posts)
I didn't mean they have not updated Quack, just that when they have it's still been recognisable as them. Our change was so drastic that people may not have recognised it as us. If you google scout logo, what you get is variations on a theme but if you google guide logo you all different kinds of things.

partygirl

Veteran (100+ posts)
I think we also need to remember that the "This Girl Can" strapline is not actually us, it's a completely different organisation aimed at getting women more active.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
I think we also need to remember that the "This Girl Can" strapline is not actually us, it's a completely different organisation aimed at getting women more active.
Is the series girls can…X (be muddy, be proud etc) (which is what I was referring to) a coincidence or is it designed to be similar/be complimentary?

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I think the crux is that we need to get the technology to improve so units can produce their own logo within the branding guidelines easier so their own messages to members, parents and the local community can be effective and easy to do. How many coffee mornings, sponsored events aren't using our branding... It has to be easier..so the more it is out there, the more recognisable it is.

Units also need to be 'educated' if that's the word on why the branding is important and the messages that we are trying to grow. It's not so much #thisgirlcan which is a separate organisation, but #girlscan - Guiding, girls speaking out, making their own choices, girl only space etc. and all the key messages. We all need to practice what we preach and then the straplines take on a new significance. It's not a marketing ploy but what we as an organisation stand for, we are a movement, we change as the girls change and the activities that we do are not what you would necessarily expect.

partygirl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Lol, I'm not sure which came first Badgemad. We have had a problem locally where the "This Girl Can" has been used as a strapline for us and I think it proves that people are very confused about our branding.

I think in general Guiding are doing a good job with publicity. We have been in the media much more over the last few years and they are doing their best to dispel the misconceptions the public have about us. I think there may be a lack of assessing what actually works but appreciate it's sometimes tricky.

From a grass roots point of view, it is difficult to educate leaders about branding. All the PR stuff (templates etc) has now gone from the website and PR advisors at County level and beyond are completely overworked as national say "PR stuff available from County". I'd suggest they let my County PR know that, as everything she has (like me) is quite a few years old now. There is no point in having a Division PR Advisor anymore because if we need anything it has to go through County anyway.

Sorry, I've gone a bit off on a tangent. The bottom line is, I think Quack is right. I think we will still struggle until the branding is established for a number of years and grass roots leaders get their heads round it so that they can effectively use it to the public. The guidelines need to be simpler with all the stuff easy to use. We can't expect it to have a positive impact with the public when it's not even working within the organisation.

I don't like the branding and colours. GGUK trying to be corporate. The "bubble" and it's guidelines are just a burden - when it's used incorrectly who cares?
Looking through the latest Guiding Essentials there are all manner of patterns/styles/colours for gifts: there are tiles, spots, flowers, stars, circles and now snowflakey things? Total muddle and confusion.

The strapline "We discover, we grow" seemed to come about cos we were expected to all do a big recruitment push (I think).

Stick with the trefoil and let's crack on with grass roots guiding.

kirstyr

Veteran (100+ posts)
I was just talking about this today with one of my other leaders, we hate the new branding. Trefoil and Girlguiding much better, and looked better - the badge tabs don't look as nice, as its not symmetrical.

I struggle to know which campaign we are on, as every time a new set of 'gifts' appear... #girlscando anything, or girls matter, or #I will...

If leaders are struggling to keep up imagine how it looks to outsiders... I think we need a strapline that fits in with the social media campaigns, and we stick to it for a considerable period of time...

As above, look at the shop and theres dribs and drabs from various brands/colours/campaigns... which one are we on now?

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
And we have another campaign and tag now. Looking across this thread the one thing that had been brought up several times is the need for consistency and ease for leaders to use.

I hope that this campaign sticks for a bit longer than a year. Most leaders have lots of demands on their time and its lots to take in. It should be easy to know which hashtags to use, or which slogan to pick- and when campaign cut offs are. For example, is #ForTheGirl to still be used for recruiting young members, and Know My Place for recruiting volunteers? Or do we use them together or not use #ForTheGirl now at all?!

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
This came up recently in a discussion between myself and another recentish QG finisher. We were both very disappointed with our certificates being so heavy with branding.

For those not in the loop, for decades the certificates had a calligraphy style text often over an image of the QGA with a lovely message about what holding the award means with the royal crest at the top. Perhaps plain or old fashioned looking to some, and with no obvious GG logo. Looking over the various designs it looks *fancy*.

Now the main text is quite small and the “bubble” loops are the main feature. It’s not that dissimilar to the promise certificate. More often than not the recipients name is biroed on now (I am very thankful to whoever wrote mine out that they printed it neatly in a fineline pen) and it appears inconsient, some of us are lucky to be given them framed others get them loose.

There is nothing wrong with updating certificates and the older ones might have not been to everyone’s tastes but it’s such an odd size and awkwardly designed...it sounds a little OTT but my Grandma cried when she saw it and not in a good way.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
This came up recently in a discussion between myself and another recentish QG finisher. We were both very disappointed with our certificates being so heavy with branding.

For those not in the loop, for decades the certificates had a calligraphy style text often over an image of the QGA with a lovely message about what holding the award means with the royal crest at the top. Perhaps plain or old fashioned looking to some, and with no obvious GG logo. Looking over the various designs it looks *fancy*.

Now the main text is quite small and the “bubble” loops are the main feature. It’s not that dissimilar to the promise certificate. More often than not the recipients name is biroed on now (I am very thankful to whoever wrote mine out that they printed it neatly in a fineline pen) and it appears inconsient, some of us are lucky to be given them framed others get them loose.

There is nothing wrong with updating certificates and the older ones might have not been to everyone’s tastes but it’s such an odd size and awkwardly designed...it sounds a little OTT but my Grandma cried when she saw it and not in a good way.
I had the same reaction. The new certificate is just not on a par with the old one, or its peers like DofE Gold.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Here’s what mine looks like. They’ll need updating again soon if it’s going to be a cross section award (apparently it’s staying 16-25…although I have heard rumours) as it’s got TSS logo at the bottom.

The QGA is embossed.

I’m not sure if it is actually signed by the Queen.

It’s the same size as other TSS certificates. I was given mine in a frame so I don’t know what the back says.

Attachments

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
Here’s what mine looks like. They’ll need updating again soon if it’s going to be a cross section award (apparently it’s staying 16-25…although I have heard rumours) as it’s got TSS logo at the bottom.

The QGA is embossed.

I’m not sure if it is actually signed by the Queen.

It’s the same size as other TSS certificates. I was given mine in a frame so I don’t know what the back says.
The Queens Guide Award isn't changing. There will be 'Gold' awards for each section as their top awards.

And I doubt all the ones prior to this design were signed personally by the Queen...

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
I have an old one, and in my opinion it looks more official and timeless. This looks a little bit cheap, which is a shame as it's such a valuable award.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
I managed to source an old one, so I have both, which if I remember later I'll upload for comparison.
Lucky. I have had a relative who is good at calligraphy offer to make an imitation one for me but I have yet to take her up. I seemed to have just missed the cut off, as those who completed just a few months before me had the old style.

Anyone know why it changed?

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
The Queens Guide Award isn't changing. There will be 'Gold' awards for each section as their top awards.
I’ve heard that the award is staying the same but that age allowance is changing from 16-25 to 16-20, with participants having to start before their 21st birthday. This is just speculation though based off of a temporary listed test glitch on Go. If there is going to be a 18-25 offering having 16-20 wouldn’t make sense.

Pixielation

Brown Owl (x2)
I’ve heard that the award is staying the same but that age allowance is changing from 16-25 to 16-20, with participants having to start before their 21st birthday. This is just speculation though based off of a temporary listed test glitch on Go. If there is going to be a 18-25 offering having 16-20 wouldn’t make sense.
The bit about starting before their 21st birthday is the old information surely?