1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Question? Does anyone have Wifi at their meeting place?

Discussion in 'Hall Management' started by beckysmith88, Jan 13, 2014.

1. beckysmith88

beckysmith88 Rainbow and Senior Section leader

Just wondered which halls had wifi installed? I am going to propose that we do this at our Guide Hall, but wondered if anyone had experience of this?

What benefits stand out for you? (I have thought of plenty, but am interested to know thoughts on this)

2. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

No - our hall isn't even on the phone and doesn't have a letterbox! We can usually get enough signal to get by on for basic internet usage via mobile phones and/or dongles, because we're near enough to the city.

3. emmaluvseeyore

emmaluvseeyore Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant

We are trying to get internet access at our hall (was decided at a previous district meeting that it was worthwhile). We were going to share the access with the scouts, but their GSL said they would never use it. We have a phone line for emergencies, but getting BT to provide a quote for internet was a right pain, so I have given up for the mean time.

We wouldn't need anything flashy as it wouldn't be used all that much, so was hoping they could do us a deal!

4. chopperchick

chopperchick Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I was looking into it in a previous life, so not sure if they went ahead.

But, advantages are many ....... I would say go for the best you can afford; I appreciate it may not be used as much as your home internet might, but one advantage is that it *could* combat a lot of the "I don't have good internet at home" genuine moans about GO / Join Us / resources being on-line. If that's the case, and you could envisage people consciously saving their admin / GO / downloading until they came to your meeting hall, then as good a speed / service as you can get is probably beneficial.

5. qwerky

qwerky Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

installing a new line and varyous equipment may be very expensive,
    it may be worth considering something like a mobile data modem (~£40) and a data only pay as you go sim card like a gigabag from giffgaff (<£10/GB data)

6. chopperchick

chopperchick Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

The mobile data consideration is very valid - I guess it might depend on whether you need multiple users to access internet / how "shared" the system can be.

Another advantage - of internet access in general - might be if you rent the hall to external groups, you might be able to justify an increase in letting value because of wifi, thus cover some or all of your costs.

7. qwerky

qwerky Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

the suggestion for a mobile data modem (should probably have said mobile data modem and wifi router) as that's what I meant, would allow multiple connections, for lo installation and running costs

we have one at home that we use as fa mily when travelling in the uk, becasue it saves all of us using mobile data seperately, it uses one sim card (we have giffgaff on pay as you go - and some data allowance on other mobile sims) and the mobile data modem and router allows us to connect all our tablets/laptops to the one data connection (I think there's an 8 device limit for the one we have) - we can swap the modems as and when to make sure we have the best cost

the security we've set up works like any other wifi router, so either password or mac address
    to the user it makes no difference than using a house hold wifi connection,

8. kathrynha

kathrynha Veteran (100+ posts)

Not at the moment. They have wifi in the church office though, and there is talk about trying to get something to boost the signal and get it across in to our hall.

9. alixjonescards

alixjonescards Crafty Guide Captain

There are lots of funding avenues you can investigate in developing your IT provision. If you approach it as a peer education exercise, whereby older girls will use the internet to teach younger girls how use computers safely you can get funding for pcs iPads, kindles and more to educate on an array of platforms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Hilary

Hilary Guide Guider and District Commissioner GuiderPlus

Yes we have wi-fi in the Scout hut I meet in. I believe the Scouts obtained it under some sort of charitable scheme run by BT. The Guides use it a lot for research etc for GFIs (which is not always a good thing - I've been known to put an out of order notice on the computer!) and it is obviously useful for GO and the guiding website. We've recently acquired a projector too so I could run GO trainings there too.

11. Squirrel-Nutkin

Squirrel-Nutkin The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)

No wifi, no phone

and tonight we had the added pleasure of no heat either

12. alixjonescards

alixjonescards Crafty Guide Captain

We used the wrvs hall as a meeting place for a while which had wifi, it was great. The girls all brought their iPads so we were able to a wealth of web-based activities including online treasure hunts, research and games. The activities were very collaborative and involved a lot of social interaction, it was great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. jennthedeadfunkyranger

jennthedeadfunkyranger Guide Guider GuiderPlus

We don't. If we need internet, one of us tends to use our phone.

14. Smartie

Smartie Mod and wearer of many hats!! Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

No, but one of my units meets in a school and we can access their computers with a basic log on to do things like go online. We can also use the library which is great for researching :). At our guide hut we use our phones. I used to have unlimited data on my phone & when we needed it could hook a laptop up to it. I don't currently have a laptop in a fit state for using at rangers, but if I did I'd look at getting a pay as you go dongle if I thought we'd use it

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

15. Sunny2nd

Sunny2nd Guide and Ranger Leader GuiderPlus

We had free internet from BT under a charity scheme:
    BT Community Connections
    0845 257 6792
    www.bt.com/communityconnections

We had it for a year but have given it up as couldn't really justify paying for it to continue as would have to be for business use. I'm thinking of getting a pay as you go phone specifically for guiding that has internet tethering/dongle.

16. littlerainbow

littlerainbow Rainbow Leader

We meet in a school and the internet system is protected, although not really had much call for it at Rainbows.

17. kingfisherblue

kingfisherblue Veteran (100+ posts)

We meet in a library, in the community room. \there are computers in the main part of the library, and we can book the girls onto them for an evening, but we don't have wi-fi usage. To be honest, we have never used the computers for Rainbows, and have only used them when doing the Computer badge in Brownies, so it wouldn't be worth us getting a dongle or anything else.

I can see that for some, internet usage in the meeting place could be handy for Go, Join Us, and admin, but we would never have time to do any of that in the meetings - we're always too busy. If it was a Guide unit, I think that could be different, as the girls are more likely to be more independent and more able on computers (some of our girls don't have computer access at home, so their skills are limited compared to other children).

18. Emelle

Emelle Beginner (10+ posts)

We meet in a church that doubles as a hall so is quite a modern church (late 1980s I think). The church provides free wifi access for any hall users. However we don't tend to use it much. Maybe to check up the odd thing on the Internet which we could do on our phones. Not sure it's worth paying to have it installed.

19. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Veteran (100+ posts)

We meet in a church hall & have access to wifi. When it was installed everybody's rent increased by £1 per week to pay for it. I wasn't sure to begin with, but over the last 12 months we have started to use it more. Last term we did the Poppy challenge badge and the girls had 1 hour to research and present back answers to different questions (who makes the poppies, what colours are there etc) and last night, first night back, they got a blank sheet of paper and were told to plan the term (with some guidance, must include a Go For It, must include 1 night outside, mustn't just be 8 different themes for food etc). The internet (Guiders, GirlGuiding, WAGGGS) were all great resources.

We DO NOT give the wifi password to kid though!