• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

First Rainbow Sleepover

Hi can anyone give me any tips ideas for our sleepover.
I am doing my GAW!
The venue and date have been confirmed. I have done a risk assessment on the place.
I need to have my first meeting with the parents but not sure what to discuss, does anyone have any useful tips please. I know i need the girls to decide on a theme and i need a timetable for the day. It will be a Friday night so i was thinking 6pm after the girls have had their tea and until 2pm the following day.
Any useful info would be appreciated
thank you
Laura x

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
Who - introduce the team, say their roles
Where - if not familiar with the building, what's to do in the area
When - obvious, but confirm including "parents, please leave by x o'clock" and all to collect at same time
What - basic structure of the time away even if you can't go into programme at this stage
Transport arrangements
Reasons for going, how much girls will get out of it, how to prepare them
Kit
Arrangements for paying, any grant available
Reassurance on things girls usually worry about - for mine, the big 3 are meals, sleeping away and having to look after their own kit without Mum to do it for them. So I ask for a menu choices tick sheet there and then and say we will work round anything on it, I talk through how we settle girls down before bedtime, and say there are plenty of adults to help you but we do expect you to give things a go.
It's also worth labouring the point that contact numbers must actually be contactable (!) and , when they get the the question about anti-attends on the health form it is NOT ok to write "don't know" or leave it blank.
Parents want to know how you'll deal with home sickness. Girls just want to know they'll have fun.

Can anybody think of anything else?

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
The main things I cover at a parents meeting? First Aid and Food.

Obviously, I give an overview of what is happening during the weekend/who is going to be there etc, but I find the 2 Fs are the most important to parents!

MARY ELLIOTT

Beginner (10+ posts)
hi laura
I have been doing sleepovers with rainbows for 10years we do the check list for food
it works very well the girls I feel are ok it`s the parents I ask the parents to bring girls say goodbye and I take the girls to another part of the room while the parents make the bed and depart not to make a big thing about going. we don`t have tears very often. has the girls are busy.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I'm not a Rainbow leader, I do Guides but the biggest problem with home sickness tends to come from parents ....it's how they prepare their daughters..."Oh Flossie how we'll miss you"..." Oh Flossie you'll miss our special Saturday night tea/treat"...."Don't worry Flossie we'll come for you if you don't enjoy it".... I find it sets the girls up for a fall as they feel their families are missing them, they are missing out...or if they don't get what they want they have an opt out..

I try and suggest parents look to the positive and encourage girls they will be enjoying themselves, they are proud they are staying away...etc ...the girls need to know they are secure and home will still be there but the trip is the treat..

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I'm not a Rainbow leader, I do Guides but the biggest problem with home sickness tends to come from parents ....it's how they prepare their daughters..."Oh Flossie how we'll miss you"..." Oh Flossie you'll miss our special Saturday night tea/treat"...."Don't worry Flossie we'll come for you if you don't enjoy it".... I find it sets the girls up for a fall as they feel their families are missing them, they are missing out...or if they don't get what they want they have an opt out..

I try and suggest parents look to the positive and encourage girls they will be enjoying themselves, they are proud they are staying away...etc ...the girls need to know they are secure and home will still be there but the trip is the treat..

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk
Yes, I have been known to make suggestions at the parents' meeting of positive things for parents to say when it's time for farewells. Encouraging them to focus on "we know you'll have great fun" and "we're looking forward to hearing about all the things you get to do". However true it is, "we'll miss you" can make the girl feel guilty about upsetting her parents, and even feel that if that's going to be the outcome, perhaps she oughtn't stay? And "if you're upset you can phone us anytime" gives the impression that it may well happen, even though it isn't necessarily so - and once the idea is planted . . .

Try to keep the farewells brief and have all the parents leave at the same time, not a few lingering on - and have a lively, fun activity for the girls to do the minute the parents leave, so that their attention is straight onto now, and not lingering on 10 minutes ago.

And - encourage the parents to avoid doing anything special at home while their girl is away that the girl misses out on - no changes in home furnishing/décor, no special outings for siblings that the girl is missing out on.