• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Fun promise activities?

Jenniferk863

Beginner (10+ posts)
Does anyone have any fun promise activities for a group of 8 guides? I was expecting 4 so the activity I planned for last night just didn't work and the girls got bored quite quickly.

They're all former brownies so have flown through all the bits of the promise but are struggling to remember the laws.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I'll be a little controversial and say - memorising the Laws themselves isn't important. I couldn't recite them if you paid me! What's more interesting is the meaning behind them.

Any other type of law you come across has one thing in common - the word "don't". But not the Guide Laws! No, the word 'don't' does not feature in them at all, that's what so unusual. Actually, the Guide Laws are a challenge or dare. They simply state what sort of person a Guide is, and set you a challenge - are you tough enough to be a Guide? There is more to it than wearing fancy-dress clothes and turning up to the hall once a week to play games. Behind all that it makes clear that if you want to call yourself a Guide, then these are the standards you are preparing to Promise to try your best to live up to. And each time you slip, (for slip you will), you will accept it, move on, and try again all the harder.

So rather than memorising parrot fashion, I'd suggest them just learning the key points - honest, trustworthy, faces challenge, friend to animals, etc. And they can then each think, for themselves, what they could do about keeping them. One option some units have tried is a 'new month's resolution' box, where each member writes down one thing they will try to do to keep each law, and seals it in an envelope and puts it in the box. A month later they open the envelope, and judge for themselves how well they have done, and what they could do better.

Jenniferk863

Beginner (10+ posts)
I was stuck last night as we had an absolute disaster as the people who run our hall moved our stuff but no one knows where to. Decided to use the promise stuff on the members area site as we managed to rustle up pens and paper. Activity 1 was the "promise tree" but it got boring fast so we did the "if you were in charge write your 5 laws that would bring about world peace - that ended abruptly when they all agreed that exterminating people would solve the population crisis!

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
I was stuck last night as we had an absolute disaster as the people who run our hall moved our stuff but no one knows where to. Decided to use the promise stuff on the members area site as we managed to rustle up pens and paper. Activity 1 was the "promise tree" but it got boring fast so we did the "if you were in charge write your 5 laws that would bring about world peace - that ended abruptly when they all agreed that exterminating people would solve the population crisis!
Love them :)

Promise activities we do a promise relay for learning, so I cut up te words spread them one en the room then one patrol member at time needs to collect correct word, we are checking their sentences of we notice error we take all words for that error onwards back to the other end of the hall, they love it and it's really energetic and competitive,

For other stuff we have done charades, promise fans and general discussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ann

Veteran (100+ posts)
Love them :)

Promise activities we do a promise relay for learning, so I cut up te words spread them one en the room then one patrol member at time needs to collect correct word, we are checking their sentences of we notice error we take all words for that error onwards back to the other end of the hall, they love it and it's really energetic and competitive,

For other stuff we have done charades, promise fans and general discussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have a look at the 2nd Kingsbridge guides website - they have some good promise and law activites including an easy way to remember the guide laws

MummySquirrel

Veteran (100+ posts)
We've done activity this week, we had printed them an separated each one. Laid them on the table face down, each Patrol picked a paper up and whichever law they got had to act out a scene showing someone keeping the law. Girls enjoyed it.