1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Future G2G Discussions

Discussion in 'Guiders Get2Gether' started by Cazbly, May 14, 2012.

1. dollypip

dollypip Rach or Dolly i'll answer to anything...

Magaluf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. bramblebush

bramblebush Veteran (100+ posts)

Growlywench, Cazbly, and I shall have a mini G2G europe in July, we shall endeavor to provide research into the cheese, bread and wine available, we are venturing into Belgium to inspect the chocolate and we shall make sure as to check out the totty on the continent too.......purely for research purposes! Though we should perhaps do that before we start on the vino, lest we get vino goggles and all totty becomes attractive to the nth degree! (whereas we know some of them will be mingers for sure!)

GW and Cazbly will also be checking out cafes and street markets.....I wish to look for knitting shops (there's one in St Omer - why else did you think we'd be off to look at the "cathedral" in St Omer!)

3. bramblebush

and another thing - guiders weekend in Benidorm has been discussed when bag packing and very few of the actual girls turn up, so leaders end up doing all the work...

4. yorkie67

yorkie67 Div CA, GIC G, GIC R GuiderPlus

Jenn and I are expert on Belgium as I've lived there for 3 years and we know a few places!!!! :)

5. Cazbly

Cazbly Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)

We will take our duties extremely seriously and act responsibly (fingers now crossed) at all times.

We will endeavour to sample all cake and other culinary goodies on your behalf and report back afterwards.

6. kathrynha

kathrynha Veteran (100+ posts)

Don't forget you need to fully research badge buying opportunities, remembering to check shop opening times, are not just sunday mornings, or times dependent on the key holders lunch :)

7. Cazbly

I will pack me crow bar in case of key holders having a 24 hour extended lunch again.

8. jennthedeadfunkyranger

jennthedeadfunkyranger Guide Guider GuiderPlus

I think you need to pack me in your luggage for the Belgian part of your journey to act as tour Guide (I was going to say interpreter too, but you have Growly for that)

9. Cazbly

I have sufficient language and map reading skills to take on most of Europe! ;)

10. growlywench

growlywench Veteran (100+ posts)

Indeed. I'm personally all for speaking English loudly. And never admit you speak any of the language to officials :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

11. Cazbly

I find that grand cafe noir - ing gets me round quite happily and when I had a car problem a few years ago, it was the french mechanic who kicked the car, saying il est kaput!

12. growlywench

Your mechanic was clearly posh. We got 'C'est foutu'.

And yup, if you can get fed and find a bog, that's most bases covered :)

13. Cazbly

I have those bases covered for Western Europe :)

14. yorkie67

yorkie67 Div CA, GIC G, GIC R GuiderPlus

Ha ha, no shops are open on Sundays in Belgium!!! I know a Scout shop that sells badges in Brussels or was it in Leuven (Jenn?)

15. growlywench

Especially in those countries where it's still socially acceptable to stop the car and take a wee at the side of the road. Or is that just me?

16. jennthedeadfunkyranger

jennthedeadfunkyranger Guide Guider GuiderPlus

Scouts en Gidsen Vlaanderen have a shop in Leuven (though it's now on the ring road near the train station, not in the centre, as me and Louise discovered when trying to find it - and after all that it was shut throughout August), then several of the other organisations have shops in Brussels - Pluralist Scouts have their shop near Gare du Midi, Les Scouts have theirs near Trone métro station somewhere, there's a Guide shop in the arcade where the shops are up from Mérode métro station, and I never did find the Catholic Guides' shop, but it's in hte vicinity of Avenue Louise

17. bramblebush

we're only going to Ypres for the last post ceremony and a choccie shop (also a good tabacconist in Ypres - cheaper than french ones) It's a hit and run into belgium for the chocs then back out the way we came....I am of course expecting a yummy local cake bringing from Le Touquet for me, otherwise I shall not let you off the coach to do ya own thing for rest of weekend....I may even allocate you some children to look after if you miss behave.....or I shall make you share a room with the ex-GiC who snores very loudly as well you know!

18. blue_dreamer

blue_dreamer Veteran (100+ posts)

I have a G2G suggestion. Maybe we could try meeting in a cheap hotel rather than a campsite and getting to see a bit of whatever town we're staying next to. I don't know about others but sometimes I feel it would be nice to get out a bit???

19. Lette

Lette Guide Guider & Senior Section Member

The cheapest hotels would be approx £20 a night, they dont have kitchens for guests so all meals would need to be brought out and I highly doubt they would have a room for 30 women to 'chill in'. A weekend like that would cost approx £100min a huge difference to the £35-40 standard for a G2G. If your desperate to visit a certain city round up a group of friends and go for a girls weekend or incorporate it into your QG exped. I just don't think the idea would work for a mass G2G.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk

20. TJ.

TJ. Wonder Woman In Training

But you can do that if you want. The geocachers went out on this G2G, and at 7 we went out into Brighouse. We were going to do a cider farm visit o. 8 but itdidn't quite work. No-one is chaining you to the campsite, though it's nice for people to stay and get to know each other.