1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Official Info: G2G10 Transport and Timings Thread!

Discussion in 'G2G10 London' started by Hilzo42, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Hilzo42

Hilzo42 Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod! Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

The transport and weekend timings thread for anyone needing a lift or a pickup from the train station!

We thought it would be helpful to let people know early a little of the times for the weekend so you can plan booking your trains/driving routes. :)

On the Friday night we'd request that people try not to arrive any earlier than 5.30pm if possible. We wont have the buildings open to us until 4pm so any earlier and even we won't be there!

On Sunday we plan to have our final activity of the weekend at 11am and should take no more than half an hour. Of course if people need to head off earlier for transport we understand and everyone is welcome to stay later (we need to be out of the site at 4pm), but we thought it would be useful to know in advance of the weekend that's what we have in mind!

DRIVING:
    Chalfont Heights is no more than a 10 min drive from both the M25 (junctions 16 and 17) and M40 (junction 1), and less than 30 mins away from where the M1, M3 and M4 all join the M25 so it's really easy to get to! The postcode you'll need for SatNavs is SL9 0QH

Chalfont's own website has comprehensive directions on how to find them!
    http://www.chalfont.info/content/find-us
    (plus point is the site has a very big sign outside so you shouldn't be able to miss it!)

TRAINS:
    Chalfont Heights is served by Chiltern Railways and London Underground Metropolitan Line.

The closest stations are Chalfont & Latimer, Gerrards Cross and Denham Golf Club, all 1.5-2 miles away from the site. Most of the driving routes to the site pass by them.

Chalfont & Latimer station is on the Aylesbury section of the Chiltern Line and 30mins from Marylebone.
    Chalfont & Latimer station is also served by the Underground Metropolitan Line (Amersham branch) for anyone travelling into London Euston or London Kings Cross.
    (top tip - if you're coming into London Euston don't jump on the Underground there and suffer multiple interchanging. Euston Square Station is barely a 5 min walk away down the main road outside and you can jump straight onto the Met Line! :D)

Gerrards Cross and Denham Golf Club are on the Birmingham New Street section of the Chiltern Line and 20-35 minutes from Marylebone (depending on whether it's a fast/stopping service)

EDIT: I've just checked the TFL website and on Sunday part of the Metropolitan line is closed (Harrow-on-the-Hill to Aldgate).
    West Ruislip station (Central Line) is about 6 miles away and we can drop people off there if they need to get the tube to Kings Cross or Euston.

FLYING:
    Heathrow Airport is also a stones throw away, should anyone want to take that option.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  2. bagpuss

bagpuss Dursley District Guider & Commissioner GuiderPlus

I shall be driving from Gloucestershire and have a large car so if there's anyone else coming from this part of the world I'd be happy to share the car. I haven't worked out my timings yet but I'm fairly flexible.

3. Roo2

Roo2 Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

I shall also be driving but from Wiltshire, route finder suggests the A303 route so if any one wants a lift please let me know :D

4. ElfOwl

ElfOwl Veteran (100+ posts)

5:30!!! The M25 will be the road to hell at that time on a Friday - was planning on getting around it before it jams up. Oh well, might have to go visiting one of the nice places in the vicinity to avoid my nemesis that is the M25. Definately bringing you all to my neck of teh woods south of the M25 one day.

So, I am either travelling to the M23 then M25 or coming cross country (to avoid the M25) in the same direction.

5. Cazbly

Cazbly Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)

Elfowl - suggest somewhere we can meet earlier. I am heading down earlier to try and avoid the worst of the jams! Probably use the M6 toll as well to miss out Birmingham elevated car park!

6. ElfOwl

Sounds good Caz and I thoroughly recommend the M6 toll, expensive but worth it. Will be taking that route the weekend before.

7. Hilzo42

Hilzo42 Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod! Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Did state 'if possible' not to arrive before!

We're expecting a lot of people to be later than that because of work and to avoid traffic and you're welcome to arrive a bit earlier of course - but we'll probably rope you into carrying boxes etc... just a word of warning, lol! ;)

8. ScareyClarey

ScareyClarey Recently Qualified Brownie Leader GuiderPlus

Zeberdee and I are planning on coming up by train from Cornwall and Devon respectively, so might need a lift from a station. But if there is anywhere we can get off earlier and car share that might save some pennies. I'll poke her and see if she's booked the tickets yet.

9. MummyOwl

MummyOwl Brownie Leader

I'm driving up from Surrey... aiming to leave BEFORE or AFTER rush hour - so will probably arrive at about 4pm or after 7pm (will depend on work). Either way, if anyone wants a lift from Junction 9/10 M25 or anywhere nearby (or, indeed, needs picking up from a station, Zeberdee & ScareyClarey), please shout! Can probably squeeze 3 in!
    If early, happy to stop somewhere near final destination to meet up or just grab a coffee and read the paper...

10. zeberdee

zeberdee zeberdee

going to get them tomorrow we will be getting into gerrads cross about 3:30 - 4pm and leaving on the sunday abpout 1500 so would need a lift back to gerrads x if poss, the only train we seem to be able to get leaves Penzance at 0740 so it will be a long day traverling for us but better then driving the fun bit will be from paddington to marlybone ! on the underground

11. ice

ice Veteran (100+ posts)

Elf if you fancy company or wandering off course...... ;)

12. ElfOwl

Sure, but I am planning on avoiding the M25 car park times and have the day off anyway. Pm me and we can discuss. Company would be nice as well as extra eyes to spot where I need to go - sat nav does tend to tell me I'm there before the actual turn off (Drum Hill was a good example).

13. zeberdee

zeberdee zeberdee

all tickets book for both myself and Scaryclarey :eek:)
    and yes we are both super excited !!!! and we are on our own god help PADDINGTON AND THE UNDERGROUND !!
    added to this scaryclarey will be about 6 months preggers

we are also planning to do a run to CHQ shop as clare hasnt been so we hope who ever picks us up will have room for the shopping may have to do Hamlies as well lol xxxx no only joking on that one

our train will get into london about 1330 could we be collected at Gerrards Cross about 5 ish please?

14. ScareyClarey

Hehe! It's going to be a challenge but fun! Very excited now!

15. BeccaSooty

BeccaSooty Brownie Guider GuiderPlus

Well Paddington to Marylebone is quite simple only 2 stops on the bakerloo line, but Paddington to chq and back again is a bit trickier!

I'm sure we can arrange pick up from Gerards cross!

Have fun!
    Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk 2

16. MummyOwl

MummyOwl Brownie Leader

Paddington to Marylebone is only 2 stops on the Bakerloo line... nice and easy peasy.

17. Lizzieloubee

Lizzieloubee Veteran (100+ posts)

Could I have a lift from Chalfont and Latimer pleae? I'm flexible on times, got the day off anyway!

18. *gwen*

*gwen* GIC Guide/SS GuiderPlus

Remember to let us know, or post here if you require picking up from a station.

It would also help if you know roughly what time your train arrives (and into which station)

19. ScareyClarey

Yep, to confirm, Zeberdee & I will be at Gerrards Cross, between 5pm & 5.35pm depending on which train we catch. We will aim to be there for 5pm, if we could please be collected??

Will need to be back at Gerrards cross 11.30 am on Sunday too please.

Thank you :)

20. crazycrayon

crazycrayon Veteran (100+ posts)

Any opinions on which station would be the easiest station to get to from London Victoria or London Bridge stations? I'll be coming in from Croydon after seeing the parents, don't suppose anyone else will be travelling that way?