1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

G2G9 East Midlands - What To Expect

Discussion in 'G2G9 East Midlands' started by TJ., Mar 17, 2012.

1. TJ.

TJ. Wonder Woman In Training

Hi all!

We noticed the other day that there were a couple of comments from people who were unsure of what to expect. Because of this, and because we do have several first time attendees, we decided to put up a rough guide of what to expect!

The first thing, of course, is that every G2G event is different! This is due to a number of factors, including who is organising, who is attending, the weather, the campsite...! For example, at G2G7, I spent most of my time on the patio sewing, whereas at G2G8, I joined in a Kubb competition and did lots of craft! They were completely different events!

Friday is all about getting to know each other. Most people head over to the G2G after work, so depending on where they live, they get there at different times. There is no fixed dinner time and food will be available even if you arrive later on. Old friends get chance to catch up, we get to terrorise the new faces and we will be playing some ice breaker games so that everyone has chance to get to know each other a bit better (perhaps a little too well!).

Saturday is the main day of a G2G. There will be lots going on but you're free to do as much or as little as you like - it's YOUR chillout time! Seeing as Cazbly is coming to G2G9, I can almost guarantee an active badge sewing corner / area. Not as boring as it might sound, it's a chance to gossip, exchange ideas, have fun and catch up on your blanket. As well as this, lots of people bring crafts or activities to share with the group, so you can try your hand at those throughout the day as well. The activities mentioned in the other thread are at an additional cost, and you can sign up for these if you wish, and you might like to go and laugh at - I mean WATCH - everyone else!

Saturday Night is party time. Drinking is not essential, despite your organising team's past record! We will be having the traditional campfire (Which will end in a Promise renewal) which may take place on the patio or down at the campfire circle, depending on who else is camping on the site etc.

Sunday is very much chillout time. People may do blanket sewing and some craft, but it's largely nursing hangovers, packing, tidying, talking and relaxing. People leave throughout the day, some early and some after lunch.

The Awards are a traditional part of the G2G experience. We get everyone to vote for different attendees in categories. Some of these are quite sweet, others ridiculous. As you can see in my signature, I've had a little of each! This year, because of our theme, we've decided to hold the main part of the awards on the Saturday night as an Oscars ceremony. This means that you can glam up and get pretty if you want to (Ben & I will be suitably attired!) but we're not expecting it - particularly as it's campfire night as well!

There will be two Special Activities for those that want to take part. All we will tell you now is that you will want sturdy footwear (e.g. trainers) and clothes that you don't mind getting muddy and wet. These are provided free of charge.

Badges (have I got Caz's attention yet?!) are a huge feature of G2Gs. Lots of people bring their own challenge badges they have designed, as well as various bits and pieces for fundraising for units and trips. Oh, and swaps! Please don't forget your swaps bag, and bring some pennies (or a unit chequebook) for purchasing. It's a great way to save on postage if you want challenge badges!

If you have any questions about the event, please feel free to ask them here! We don't bite... well... we do... but not in a bad way!

2. Cazbly

Cazbly Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)

Badges, pretty badges :)

(Do I need to bring a chair?)

3. jennthedeadfunkyranger

jennthedeadfunkyranger Guide Guider GuiderPlus

When you say muddy and wet, is this on the same scale as at G2G8?

4. Cazbly

Cazbly Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)

GFI Glamping could be coming in for quite a roadtest!!!!!

5. TJ.

Dunno how muddy it will be as it will depend on weather, but assume the worst!

Caz, you can bring a gold leaf throne if you really, really want to!

6. TJ.

Hmmm.... could be interesting.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  7. Broken.Owner

Broken.Owner Archery Goddess and Moderator GuiderPlus

Read this... fairly accurate really!!!! Picked up on 2 comments that are definitely very accurate based on certain people!!!! :)

8. TJ.

But certain people!

Just want to emphasise that there is no pressure to drink, but there is also no decorum on appropriate drinking times etc. We are all adults and able to make decisions for ourselves.

This is a social event, not a training event, though you will probably come home with plenty of ideas!

9. dollypip

dollypip Rach or Dolly i'll answer to anything...

They're will be plenty tea coffee and squash available :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. jennthedeadfunkyranger

Okay girls, are we accepting the challenge to try and outdo the sogginess and muddiness of G2G8?

11. *gwen*

*gwen* GIC Guide/SS GuiderPlus

That would be quite a challenge

12. Wren

Wren Mod Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Will everyone please remember their towel when they pop into the shower afterwards though!

13. jennthedeadfunkyranger

I managed that. It was clean shoes I forgot

14. Wren

Wren Mod Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Someone forgot a towel though... was it snowy?

15. jennthedeadfunkyranger

I think it was Lizzie

16. snowy91

snowy91 Fully warranted Brownie Guider

noooooooooooooooooooo!!!
    it was lizzie!
    i remembered my towel!

17. Dolphin-Brownie

Dolphin-Brownie Veteran (100+ posts)

Thanks TJ - as a newbie I wasn't really sure what to expect, but this sums it up beautifully :D Uber excited now!!

18. TJ.

Glad you're excited! That's the reason for the post! We don't want nerves getting in the way.

19. GuidingKB

GuidingKB Brownie Guider

Oh dear Jenn - what have you started!?

20. Lizzieloubee

Lizzieloubee Veteran (100+ posts)

It was me.... I really thought I was going to get the award for the daftest person at G2G8 after that!!

I did have a towel, I just forgot to get it before I got in the shower! What I didn't have was another pair of trousers! Or a sleeping bag!