1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

G2G9 East Midlands - What To Expect

Discussion in 'G2G9 East Midlands' started by TJ., Mar 17, 2012.

1. Chandra

Chandra Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

Jay jay you'll be fine - you survived the first one after all when none of us knew each other at all in real life!! I am gutted I had to pull out of this one as I was really looking forward to it!

2. ElfOwl

ElfOwl Veteran (100+ posts)

I have to agree with TJ. While I know quite a few people going, ther's a few I don't know. So I am excited to see those I know,but nervous about meeting those I don't know. What i doknow is that it will be a fab weekend and I will leave having made new friends. I have to be honest that I preferred G2G8 to G2G7 but I think that is mainly becasue I was more relaxed at the last one, having met quite a few who were there already and knew what to (sort of ) expect. The first one, I knew hardly anyone so was a bit unsure.

I am looking forward to G2G. I need a break and a fun, relaxing environment will be perfect.

Dolly, I will take my turn washing up.

3. blue_dreamer

blue_dreamer Veteran (100+ posts)

Like what others have said, there's some I've met before at G2Gs and some at Innovate, but to me and my name-forgetfulness I'll probably look at you as if I didn't know you before unless I've seen you recently!!! I know people at G2G better by face because trying to remember their names AND user names, well... :lol:

4. growlywench

growlywench Veteran (100+ posts)

I too am a G2G virgin.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

5. jennthedeadfunkyranger

jennthedeadfunkyranger Guide Guider GuiderPlus

I do remember thinking, driving up the M6 to G2G3, my first, what the heck am I doing, going to meet a bunch of people I only know online and going away with them for the weekend, but it was all fine :) And I've been back every time since

6. TJ.

TJ. Wonder Woman In Training

I was lucky with G2G7. I have known KB since we were 13 or so, and I had met Lette, Balderick and Emma at KB's birthday party.

7. Purpleellen1976

Purpleellen1976 Guide Guider and mad woman GuiderPlus

And you love everyone else anyway :D right?

8. TJ.

UGH! Love?! Don't swear at me! That's a BANNED word!

9. Purpleellen1976

Purpleellen1976 Guide Guider and mad woman GuiderPlus

Hahahaha! I thought that was just me :D

10. jayjay

jayjay Guide and Ranger Guider

I remember that feeling on my way to g2g1 way back in 2008! If anything it's worse this time because it feels like the forum has evolved while I've just been on maternity leave!

11. LFC_dragonfly

LFC_dragonfly Veteran (100+ posts)

Don't worry JayJay, there's still enough of the old faithful that will be there that you know, and we'd never leave you out. Plus, some of the newer people that you don't know yet are fab, and I'm sure that the brand new ones will be too.

Some of the 'in-jokes' are less wide spread than some of the posts on the forum would have you believe. As far as I can tell, knowledge of them tends to be limited to people who post a heck of a lot on the forum, or people who stay up until the wee small hours at G2G's and/or in the chat room on here. As I don't fit into any of these categories, most of them tend to pass me by too!

12. blue_dreamer

yep. and then trying to explain it to your two concerned parents that it's going to be OK even though you've never been away overnight alone before, but luckily for me I told the it was for Queen's Guide and I had to stay with people I didn't know....

13. sliceofrice

sliceofrice Veteran (100+ posts)

Another thing is not to expect it to be a training weekend. It's really not. Don't get me wrong, sharing ideas, resources, tales are certainly allowed and very much enjoyed, but we're not there to learn a particular skill. I know this mistake has been made in the past and if you turn up expecting something like a training weekend you're in for a surprise. Instead, it's a great weekend for a group of (near enough) like minded people to have some fun, relax, meet old and new friends, and generally just do what you want to.

14. KatieW

KatieW Guide Guider, Nottingham Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I have a completely open mind as to what to expect! I've never been on a training weekend either!

I'm looking forward to it, looking forward to meeting friends in the flesh for the first time!

15. blue_dreamer

what time are people arriving on Friday? I think I may turn up any time after about 1730 ish

16. TJ.

We've asked people to turn up after 5, ideally. Ben and I both work in schools so can't get time off. This means we need time to get in and set up etc.

17. ElfOwl

ElfOwl Veteran (100+ posts)

Will it be a huge problem if I end up getting there a bit earlier? What time I arrive is entirely dependant on the M25 and M1 and how busy they are. I have the day off to allow me to travel at (hopefully) a quet time but a Friday on M25 can be anything. I will try not to be there before 5pm, but if I get the motorways quiet, it could be a quicker run than expected. It couldalso end up being a lot later if the Dartford crossing is tailed back as normal.

18. jennthedeadfunkyranger

jennthedeadfunkyranger Guide Guider GuiderPlus

I don't leave work till 5, and so it'll be about 5-45 when I get home, so 6ish when we leave. That depends if BAWRG('s bus) is on time, as she'll have to cross the city at rush hour, and I'll have to drive round Stoke at rush hour, but once I've got to the A50, about 7 miles away, I should be against the traffic

19. KatieW

KatieW Guide Guider, Nottingham Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I'm going to be there quite late. I'm not finishing work until 8.30 and it's about 30-40 mins drive. I'll probably grab some food on the way over so don't worry about saving me any as I suspect you'll have eaten by then and burgers don't stay that warm. I don't want to mess around dolly cooking just for me if I'm the only one that's going to be late!

20. Lette

Lette Guide Guider & Senior Section Member

Jen your exact travel itinary was one of the most dull things I have read this month.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk