• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Gas and electricity charges

penney

Regular (50+ posts)
Hi I gon't know if anyone can help but we own our hall and it's used by rainbows, brownies, guides, beavers, cubs and scouts. We have always had very high bills which we have always queried seeing that the hall is only used for approximately 20 hours per week and it's generally only lights that are used. We have had a new meter installed that sends everything by SMS and should be more accurate but are first bill has just come through and it's about £700 i was just wondering if anyone could let me know roughly how much they pay.
Thanks

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
We paid £400 for electric last year for the whole year. Our hall is used 3 hours a night 5 nights a week and occasionally through the day. The electric is just for lighting ( 4 double tube flourescent units in main hall, one in entrance and energy saving bulbs in toilets etc) and we have an electric cooker which is an average domestic one used occasionally by units. Heating both the building and hot water is an oil fired boiler.

I would certainly query the bill, start taking meter readings physically at the start and end of your meeting and log them when there should be no power used.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
I agree with quack here, start taking note of meter readings and find out unit charge per 1kw and work out bill and see for yourself what is happening - if its just lights you shouldn't be using much electricity, but fridges and cooking and heating and kettles/urns use loads. [if you can start working out meter reading week by week you may be able to see who are the highest unit users and just perhaps begin to work out perhaps why?

another possiblity if you can't get to the bottom of problem is to reduce hall costs to units and switch over to coin operated meters and the units pay for the elecgtricity they use themselves (unit charge also includes payment towards standing charge) - know a lot of halls have coin operated meters now and this is probably why

sliceofrice

Veteran (100+ posts)
I know it shouldn't add on that much, but do check if things like your freezer needs defrosting and which setting your fridge is on too. If they're not in good condition then they will be adding money on.

bramblebush

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'd check you're not powering a street light (my granny and grandads flat was being charged for the lighting on the stairs due to a wiring mix up) and also if you have security lighting on the building make sure it is turned off as you leave. I agree with checking the meter readings every time you use the hall, or get a large note pad and ask all users to log reading when arrive and when leave for a few weeks and see how much is being used when hall empty.......then you have to trace the cause if lots being used when no one is there.

sliceofrice

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'd check you're not powering a street light (my granny and grandads flat was being charged for the lighting on the stairs due to a wiring mix up) and also if you have security lighting on the building make sure it is turned off as you leave. I agree with checking the meter readings every time you use the hall, or get a large note pad and ask all users to log reading when arrive and when leave for a few weeks and see how much is being used when hall empty.......then you have to trace the cause if lots being used when no one is there.
Oddly enough, I was having the same thought about the street lamp!

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
These companies do daft things, my Dad was charged for his neighbours electric for a while as they had the meter ref wrong...

Worthy Guider

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Are you on a business or domestic tarrif? If you shop around you can get some good business deals. Our village hall has just switched and made substantial savings.