1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Grass Cutting

Discussion in 'Hall Management' started by Kittys_Butterfly, May 21, 2012.

1. Kittys_Butterfly

Kittys_Butterfly Guide Guider + International Advisor

We have a fair sized patch of grass outside our hut, which belongs to us.
    In the past we have relied on parent volunteers to come up and mow it for us on a rota. (We even own a mower)
    However this year I don't think we've had any volunteers, so its got really long.
    My guides haven't been outside this term as the GiC keeps saying the grass is too long, and I have a horrible feeling the garden party we have planned on Friday will also be affected by the grass(Usually its the weather!)

Does anyone else rely on parents? Or how do people deal with any grass that they own?

2. Epona

Epona Veteran (100+ posts)

I pay a teenager... they're reasonably cheap: £10 per hour for lawnmowing.

3. ker-stee

ker-stee SGP Enthusiast GuiderPlus

Could one of the patrols do it? As part of an evenings activity? Obviously not suitable for this week, but would be teaching them another valuable skill! Each patrol could take it in turns, maybe one meeting a month a different patrol does something like that?

4. Kittys_Butterfly

I don't think our district has or wants to spend its money on grass cutting. £10 even once a fortnight adds up over time.
    Ker-stee I like this idea a lot, but Im not sure what my district would say lol. My guides would probably think it was great the 1st time....novelty might wear off after that

5. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

We used to have a rota for leaders doing grasscutting, with each given a fortnight (it was up to them when in the fortnight they did the cutting). For all that the grass was only a strip a metre wide on 3 sides of the hall, it took a couple of hours of hard work to cut even with a the good mower, generating 2-3 black bags of clippings. Not to mention the strimming which could easily add another 45 mins or so on a good day.

It was a nightmare. From people who weren't able to fit in their turns because of rain, to cases where one person did their cut towards the end of their fortnight, the next person looked at the grass two days later and reckoned their turn wasn't needed (thus landing the next person who could then land 4 weeks' growth, etc. Now we pay a gardener to do the grasscutting and it's well worth the expense!

6. ker-stee

ker-stee SGP Enthusiast GuiderPlus

If district dont like it, then they can sort someone out to do it instead then :p

7. chopperchick

chopperchick Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

We relied for a few years on a retired neighbour, who was rewarded at Christmas time!
    As his health failed so did the quality of our lawn.

So, to be blunt, if a unit or district / division etc is going to own its own property, it has to accept that there are costs in doing so. Obviously, volunteers would be great - but it's no different to any other bit of property maintenance, so is a reasonable cost to pay it from the building funds.

8. Kittys_Butterfly

Thats what I keep telling them. I'd pay in an instant for someone to do it but they are tight with the old purse strings.
    Just thought I'd see if anyone had a solution I hadn't come up with :)

9. Tregi

Tregi Veteran (100+ posts)

local gardening centre/training centre who might do it for a sign/advert in the window???

10. Quack

Quack Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

We have two retired members of our management committee to do it. The argument with paying someone is that the cost needs to be covered somewhere, ie rent, fees or additional fundraising for the HQ. Would your parents prefer to pay more or volunteer, that's the argument.

Is it worth having a word with your local Parish Council? Could you get your patch of grass added to the Council rota of grass cutting for a nominal fee or a gesture of goodwill.

11. KittenWillow

KittenWillow Veteran (100+ posts)

I have to say that as a (admittedly already very busy!) parent, I wouldn't sign up to grass cutting (I struggle enough to do my own!!). Realistically, dividing the cost of the grass cutting amongst all the girls in the units must be a very small cost - as a parent I'd be happy to pay an extra (say 20p) a week to cover it.

12. alixjonescards

alixjonescards Crafty Guide Captain

Hall Management committee? This would be progress for our hall. We have no district commissioner or division commissioner( she is too old to be in uniform so is only a division contact) We have many units, with many adult female leaders, but there is only myself and my ast leader who have husbands (just! haha) so this task id undertaken by our better halves and the other units seem to think it just occur by majic and at times made comments about it not being raked(sp?) up afterwards, therefore trailing grass all thru the hall!!!! Does not bother the men, but it annoys me!

I once suggested paying a hall keeper to ensure small jobs are done, ie toilet rolls replenished, facilities cleaned, etc but was laughed at! Oh I am on a rant. Although I know this would be expense but it means someone has responsibility, whereas just now it is a free for all-bring your own loo rolls, clean up your own mess when you've got time!!! Agh!!!!!

Anyway, we rely on our better halves and this works fine.

13. woodyowl

woodyowl Forum Mod, Guide GIC, Rainbow GIC, Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Is there no way as a leader you/your team could not do it, in all fairness unless its a huge piece of grass your probley looking at giving an extra 20 mins to the benefit of your girls. Personally I see it as part and parcel of having a hall. I certainly wouldnt be allowing something I could control to change the plans I have with the girls so much and for so long.

14. LFC_dragonfly

LFC_dragonfly Veteran (100+ posts)

I agree. Is this not just counted as run of the mill, normal prep time for your activity?

15. jennthedeadfunkyranger

jennthedeadfunkyranger Guide Guider GuiderPlus

There is no retirement age now, so no such thing as being too old to be in uniform. You can't be GiC after 65, but you can still be an AG.

16. Quack

Quack Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

or a Commissioner.

Back to the point though, since my previous post, our helpful grass cutter has stated that he feels he'll only be able to do it for another year or two as he is now 80. So discussion ensues about asking parents and/or leaders to help. Scouter says he will absolutely not ask any Scouters to help as they already do so much. I respond much as Woody says, it's our HQ if we want it maintained we have to pitch in but always worth asking members families, we may not get parents volunteering but we may find a friendly grandparent who is willing to help especially if it's not sole responsibility ie part of a team to maintain garden area etc.

17. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

One of the joys and delights of having your own shared building is - that it is shared, the benefits and the workload. Or it certainly should be.

We tried rotas for cleaning in the distant past, and for grass cutting more recently - and it never really worked. Often for genuine reasons such as work shifts, family commitments and Guide events - nevertheless it didn't.

We found it more effective to pay someone a modest amount to do it for us - it meant it was done regularly, done properly, and the leaders were not being expected to donate yet more time on top of what was already committed. But what was more important, it meant that we as leaders were aware of what was involved - that we were paying for 2 hours a week of cleaning, 2 hours every 4 weeks of grass cutting at the going rate. It wasn't the usual few who were putting in extra hours, perhaps spending money on cleaning materials or bags for clippings on top - and starting to feel put-upon.